Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2009, 09:07 PM
Elite Fan

Anti-Dubbing Thread #1: There was an episode 2?

+Please read this thread [Link] in regards to Anti-threads.

+If you would get easily offended by the views discussed, please do not post here but go to the Sub vs. Dub thread found [here]

While I understand the point of dubbing anime in to English so we don't have to read subtitles (or at least for those who are not fluent in Japanese) but it annoys me that just because it's animation doesn't mean it's always for kids. Not to mention that they just take out stuff that aren't fully offensive.

Or cut off episodes entirely.

Anyone have this feeling?

Last edited by Lain; 04-20-2010 at 07:25 PM
Lain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:40 AM
Elite Fan

I agree, Kris. Some animes not to be left in its um... original translation. I know I have to let it go but I was truly annoyed at how Sailor Moon was chopped up into some goofy American cartoon with the worst American voice-overs ever! Some cartoons should never be touched, in my opinion.

Have a happy holiday & prosperous new year!
vc318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:58 AM
Elite Fan

Sailor Moon kinda redeemed itself when Pioneer Entertainment took over dubbing for the S and SuperS seasons (no episode cuts, obtaining original music) but there was valley slang in dialogue!

Plus, Luna sounding like an old British nanny was a bit tolerable (although I don't know why they made her voice like that when she sounded a lot younger). And then I watched one particular scene in the S movie where she was changed in to a human.

Also, 4Kids Entertainment is like a death trap for dubbing anime. As long as the series can be marketable, then it doesn't matter what they do with it. They remove English words that were in the original version in their adaptation.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Master Fan

Cardcaptors makes me wanna cry. Not counting the horrible scheduling, the episode delays, and the suspiciously short seasons, the dubbing and cutting of this was simply atrocious when compared to the Japanese version. They changed just about every character's dub voices mid-way (besides Sakura and Kero) and they cut out so many important episodes (whereas dubs for shows like Sailor Moon only take out one or two episodes that aren't necessarily important to the overall story, which I can understand.)

In short, the butchers who dubbed Card Captor Sakura did nothing right except for introducing me to the show in the first place.

Remember, according to James from Pokemon: "Leo Burnett and 4Kids are the devil."
Old 08-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Elite Fan

I always thought that any anime series that gets the 4Kids treatment is a death sentence. Have you heard what they did to One Piece? Never really watched the series (both dubbed and original) but there were a lot of episode cuts going on in that one.

4Kids can be either stupid or hilarious. So hilarious that they take out English names that were in the Japanese version in the first place.

Source: yu-jyo.net

By the way, in regards to Sailor Moon, the last episode of the first season was a two parter in the original. Problem is, DiC decided to remove any death scenes and excessive violence, and snipping here and there so much to the point that it's condensed to one episode in the dubbed version.

Last edited by Lain; 08-04-2009 at 12:13 PM
Old 04-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Elite Fan

Decided to bump the thread.

Wikipedia does have a thorough article of anime editing when it goes through the U.S.

Editing of anime in American distribution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And some more comparative pics between original and dubbing.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:33 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~+Yamiko (View Post)
I always thought that any anime series that gets the 4Kids treatment is a death sentence. Have you heard what they did to One Piece? Never really watched the series (both dubbed and original) but there were a lot of episode cuts going on in that one.

4Kids can be either stupid or hilarious. So hilarious that they take out English names that were in the Japanese version in the first place.

Source: yu-jyo.net

By the way, in regards to Sailor Moon, the last episode of the first season was a two parter in the original. Problem is, DiC decided to remove any death scenes and excessive violence, and snipping here and there so much to the point that it's condensed to one episode in the dubbed version.
I absolutely HATED that! I was so mad when I found out Sailor Moon was cut. Not to mention they removed eps because they felt it was pointless. Some of those eps were really good.

I was so happy when I got the subbed vers and realized just how much I missed out on. The showdown eps with Rubeus was also cut and they made Usagi out to be and annoying selfish bitch which is not how she is at all.

Overall the dubbing really made me mad. There are some shows I know I like better dubbed. Mainly because I get the jokes better however Sailor Moon was not one of them. The dub was crap it was not made for kids!
Old 04-20-2010, 07:41 PM
Elite Fan

Gah, I can't find that video that did the side by side comparison of that episode. It used to be up on YouTube.

Although the only "comparison" video I found was of the R season

YouTube - Side-by-Side Comparison 1, Dub and Original Sailormoon.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:45 PM
Elite Fan

Also, replacing the original music and songs with American ones. Never a good thing.

Who cares if the lyrics are in Japanese, they friggin rock and help with the supsense of the scene!

'Power of Love' in Sailor Moon was dull and boring. But I thought the original song used, 'La Soldier', was epic!
Old 04-20-2010, 07:49 PM
Elite Fan

I can kinda..kinda understand if they had to replace the music that had Japanese lyrics if the show is directly aimed for the kid audience. But when removing the original musical score, that takes away the mood of the scene.

Does anyone remember when "La Soldier" was used in the series? I mean I know the song, just that I first heard it when Sera Myu (Sailor Moon Musical) was going on.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:52 PM
Elite Fan

It was used in the final fight with Death Phantom.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:59 PM
Elite Fan

Oh that makes me angry too. The orginal music is SO MUCH better. Take Ronin Warriors aka Yoroiden-Samurai Troopers for example... I love the original themes songs but the one the dubbed changed it to... I can't stand it.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:49 PM
Elite Fan

Oh man... Sailor Moon has to be the worst case of dubbing dunderheadedness ever... cousins... seriously... cousins....
Old 04-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Elite Fan

That had to be the worst one on the show.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunas_borednow (View Post)
Oh man... Sailor Moon has to be the worst case of dubbing dunderheadedness ever... cousins... seriously... cousins....
I actually laughed when I found out Haruka and Michiru are made in to cousins in the dubbed version. I know that the company thinks depicting them in their original lesbian relationship would be a disturbing issue that little kids can't grasp. But making them in to cousins just made it all the more disturbing.
Reply   Post New Thread