Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2005, 11:51 PM
Loyal Fan

I'm going tohave to be part of the minority and say that I like the Cowboy Bebop sub better. In the Japanese version it made it seem very lazy. Not that I'm saying Wendy Lee did a bad job, because she didn't. Though Faye, in the beginning, seemed to fulfill Spike's definition of her, which isn't really true though. She seemed kind of carefree and only interested in herself. Spike seemed hella' mellow and Jet seemed like he was somewhat clueless, but wise, in his young age of 30 something. Ed sounded realyl cute and adorable with her childlike voice.

Well for me anyways.

One really bad sub was FAKE. Now THAT was bad. Ugh.
Jiberty Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 05:53 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer78
Glad to know I'm not the only one. His voice is really sexy.

You bring up the good point of miscasting. Sometimes VA's are put in the wrong roles, just like in live action shows and movies. It happens.

Good luck in putting the tape together. I'm an actor, and I'm trying to become a VA too, in general, not necessarily in anime. Which is why I guess I'm defending dubbing. More work for actors is a good thing, IMO.
Yeah, miscasting can happen a lot. ::cough::Keanu Reeves::cough:: Not to say I don't love him, 'cause I do, but Constantine!? WTF!? But that's OT...

Thanks for the luck--I'll probably need it. VA is important. Dubbing isn't all there is too it, there's TV commercials, radio, movies, etc. It's a big field, and I agree with you: anything that promotes more work for actors is fine by me...so good luck with that.

The Cowboy Bebop sub wasn't bad...it just didn't work as well for me. I also like the Wolf's Rain dub better, but that's 'cause I heard it first. And I adore Crispin Freeman. He played Tsume. He's also Alucard in Hellsing, and a bunch of other roles. He's pretty prolific in our dub industry, he's in almost everything...

[Harry/Hermione] [Yuki/Tohru] [Ranma/Akane] [Ron/Luna] [Riza/Roy] [Max/Liz] [Miaka/Tamahome]
Orber123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 10:14 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer78
Glad to know I'm not the only one. His voice is really sexy.

You bring up the good point of miscasting. Sometimes VA's are put in the wrong roles, just like in live action shows and movies. It happens.

Good luck in putting the tape together. I'm an actor, and I'm trying to become a VA too, in general, not necessarily in anime. Which is why I guess I'm defending dubbing. More work for actors is a good thing, IMO.

like ahnold swatza...you know the rest ... in ANYTHING besides terminator...and what's up with him being GOVNAH? THAT wasn't rigged...
underyourskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:35 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by underyourskin
like ahnold swatza...you know the rest ... in ANYTHING besides terminator...and what's up with him being GOVNAH? THAT wasn't rigged...

Hey...he was good in True Lies and don't you forget that

But anywho, I agree, sometimes VA for dubbing versions of anime are given the wrong roles. I'd like to give some examples right now but i have to get ready for school
Lain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 07:16 PM
New Fan

I thought that in the dubbed version of Inuyasha Willow Johnson captured Kikyo perfectly. She completely mastered the sadness and lonliness that Kikyo lived with. She is one of my favorite VA on the show.
underyourskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 09:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orber123
wanderer78--I love Kirby! He was also Lord Van in The Visions of Escaflowne...and that dub sucked the big one, but God is his voice sexy...Kelly Sheridan also played Hitomi in that...the only thing of her's that I've seen that I liked her acting in was InuYasha. Sango suited her very well. She wasn't too good as Ukyo or Hitomi...
I just watched part of it on Adult Swim. You're right, the dub was horrible. I guess it's the first time I noticed a bad dub. Possibly b/c it was pointed out beforehand.

Quote:
I thought that in the dubbed version of Inuyasha Willow Johnson captured Kikyo perfectly. She completely mastered the sadness and lonliness that Kikyo lived with. She is one of my favorite VA on the show.
Yes, she did a good job too. Come to think of it, I guess I like the Inuyasha VA's. I'm not a fan of the show overall though.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:07 AM
Elite Fan

You guys pretty much nailed it. It really depends on the situation. There are some dubbings that are good and wanderer, I agree. VA is a very competitive field, especially in the US. I give props to the dubbing VA for actually trying to make American versions of the anime because those are pretty big shoes to fill up.

Sometimes....sometimes though, it's not always the VA that gets me a bit ticked off at dubbed anime (And if you want to know my favorite dubs, look at my very first post). You can have very talented VA do a great job in the anime but what really irks me when dubbing anime is the dialogue, scene cuts (and especially slapsticks when you simply get slapped) and episode cuts (Sailor Moon for example). Of course majority who watch cartoons are kids and I can understand if America doesn't want their cartoons to have any slaps, romance, and especially the touchy subjects that are deemed taboo. But times have changed. Cartoons, as well as anime are watched not only by kids but even adults as well.

And it's a bit sad that when some of these anime are released in the U.S, there are no uncut episodes or the original versions. Although I do find it a good sign that there will be uncut and original episodes of those anime hopefully to be released ever since the original versions of Sailor Moon came out. Otherwise, you would have to go to your comic store or wherever that sells original anime to get it fresh and uncut. And if you want to know, some of these anime that I'm talking about are: Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Dragon Ball Z...and I believe there is a couple more.

Thankfully, majority of the anime on sale has the uncut versions as well as billingual features (Normally Jap/English) so I don't have to worry about getting the imported versions.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:59 PM
Elite Fan

Does anybody else have an opinion on sub or dubbed anime?

...anyone?
Old 10-06-2005, 07:30 AM
Master Fan

Right now i'm watching the Naruto anime when they show it on cartoon network. In my opinion they did pretty well with it. Even the voices are well done and close to the Japanese voices.

I'm also watching "Magical DoReMi" and all i can say is that 4KIDS ARE THE WORSE DUBBERS IN THE WORLD! Don't get me me started on the blue witch because all i can say is that they made her a southern hick and that should be good enough. The accent isn't close to being remotly southern and it makes me flinch. And when Doremi suppose to Bo at things, they make her spit! Its disgusting.

Visit my Book Blog "Little Corner of the World" HERE
Jedisakora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 11:54 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediskora
I'm also watching "Magical DoReMi" and all i can say is that 4KIDS ARE THE WORSE DUBBERS IN THE WORLD!
Jedi, 4Kids has been the worst dubbers since the time of Pokemon (which didn't seem that bad at first). Look what happened to Yu-Gi-Oh

DiC goes for 2nd place, particularly what they did to Sailor Moon during the S season and beyond
Old 10-06-2005, 12:46 PM
Master Fan

I know. I used to watch Yu-Gi-oh and after the tornament with pegasus it all went downhill. I even started watching again hoping that they were going to do the egypt segment when they go back in the past and they skipped it! Thats the part i was waiting for ever since the series started.

Dubbed Sailor Moon ( shivers go up my back) Watching an english episode makes me cringe. (goes to hug cd of japanese episodes)

Old 10-07-2005, 10:23 PM
Elite Fan

For some reason, Yu-Gi-Oh is like Mortal Kombat. I mean, let's do the math:

Pegasus + Marik + Yami no Marik + Bakura + Dartz= Shang Tsung

They all the scream the same thing in their own way but we all know they're saying "Your soul is mine!!!"

And the fact that Yugi is supposedly like Liu Kang, Joey is Johnny Cage, and Tea is either Kitana or Sonya but in the more annoying version.

The Japanese version doesn't talk about stealing souls as much (in fact we got the "taboo" word called "death") thank goodness. Now in the 4Kids version, the best one there is *ahem*yeah right*ahem*...they switched to Mortal Kombat in the kiddy style.

BTW Jedi, how many times do you change your avie a day?
Old 10-08-2005, 08:26 AM
Master Fan

I have about 100 avatars and i find myself changing my avatar almost daily because i suddenly get a strond urge to use an another one

I never seen Mortal Combat before, I'll have to ask my sister who like the fighting games and animes about it. But it would have been nice to see them useing death instead of Soul. It got tiresome after Pegusus

Old 10-08-2005, 11:04 AM
Elite Fan

See the movie, not the anime ones. You'll get what I'm talking about

I think probably in the Adult Swim anime they mention some point of death. IDK, i don't really watch a lot of Adult Swim these days except for Family Guy. But you're right, it'll be nice to talk about death in dubbed anime tv...i mean, kids are gonna find out somehow..right?
Old 11-26-2020, 07:10 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
DC Extended Universe

Well 15 years passed since this question was asked and people discussed it, but I personally prefer dubs in most cases at least, since the german dubs are usually quite faithful to the japanese original, plus I find it a bit annoying to have to read the subs all the time.
Arrakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread