Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2005, 08:27 AM
Elite Fan

All The Cool Kids Are Doing It: General Comics Discussion

I didn't see a thread that is dedicated to the random discussion of various aspects of comics and comic collecting. I was going to ask what comic magazines everyone reads, and I couldn't find a thread that seemed to fit that question, so I started this one.

To answer my own question: I've read Wizard for years and years...pretty much the entire time I've been collecting. I like it's usually witty, always irreverant take on comics, and I usually devour each issue within a couple hours of recieving it. Recently though, I've become an avid Comic Buyer's Guide reader. It is a more serious look at collecting, and it focuses more on reviews of comics from the entire spectrum of the hobby as well as the everyday nuts and bolts of collecting.

Okay. There's my two. So...what magazines do you read?
Old 02-15-2005, 10:05 AM
Fan Forum Hero

It's very strange. I'm not religious, or spiritual, or anything. But I do believe in a random pattern in the universe. And I do think humanity is connected.

I know I'm not being asked for my beliefs so let me explain:

The Crow starts a "general" thread right after my co-mod on the Colin Hanks board suggests one.

I've been doing the same exact thing that you just posted. I'm definitely a Wizard maniac. But last December I picked up Comic Buyer's Guide on a lark. I loved it and have been reading it since.

I'm not sure how to compare the two. You pretty much hit the nail on the head though. The reviews are great. I love how they review old issues, manga, current runs, everything. It's a nice overview of the industry.

I've been looking for a book to recommend for the Certified Cool thread. And I caught last night's "Everwood" (because it's discussed in our OT thread), in which a character is testing for Huntington's disease. How are they connected?

The book I have in my bag is "It's a Bird" by Steven Seagle. It's an interesting read. The art is stunning. It's about a writer named "Steven" who has an assignment to write a Superman comic. He resents the character because in real life he has to deal with a disease he stand to inherit which has been a family secret for years: Huntington's disease.

I was thinking it sounded familar when I watched the episode last night. And I just looked in the book and I realized why.

And to take it further the actress who plays Hannah is named Sarah. The book is dedicated to the author's "Aunt Sarah" (who died from the disease).

This is probably the longest post I've ever written. I'm not sure what point I'm trying to make. But that's my general stuff that doesn't make sense in any particular thread.

Last edited by wanderer78; 02-15-2005 at 10:11 AM
Old 02-15-2005, 11:20 AM
Elite Fan

Hmm...For some reason I'm hearing the Twilight Zone music after reading that one.

Those are all interesting coincidences. Stuff like that happens to me quite a bit.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:30 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, me too. I guess it keeps me from being too jaded.

Sort of related...Has anyone seen "The Incredibles" yet? I wanted to start a thread for it but I'm not sure anyone would post on it. The "No Capes!" lecture by Edna still makes me laugh when I think about it.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:32 PM
Elite Fan

That movie was much better than I was expecting. I don't know why...Pixar always comes out with quality stuff, but I guess I'm just pessimistic when it comes to comics book movies.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I do too.

But they did get me interested in comics.
Old 02-19-2005, 01:00 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer78
Sort of related...Has anyone seen "The Incredibles" yet? I wanted to start a thread for it but I'm not sure anyone would post on it. The "No Capes!" lecture by Edna still makes me laugh when I think about it.
Edna cracked me up so much. She was my fav from that movie.

I almost bought the Talking Edna doll at Disney Store during the Christmas season.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:26 AM
Elite Fan

Does anyone else here collect original art? I bought an Eric Powell page from Shotgun Mary (as I posted on the Goon thread), and when I went to put it up, I realized that I had two pages from Pantheon #6, and a page from Captain Marvel (I'm not sure which series).

Anyone else own anything?
Old 02-24-2005, 10:27 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I should get out to the Disney store. I want Incredibles stuff.

Crow, I don't collect art, yet. I really want to though. It's cool that you managed to snag all that stuff. Eric Powell is a great artist.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:08 AM
Elite Fan

I love ebay. I just picked up three pages from Tony Daniel's The Tenth comic. Score!
Old 02-25-2005, 11:30 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I've actually banned myself from eBay for awhile. I spend *way* too much there.

Speaking of spending. I was at Borders and was looking at the 3 books for the price of two display.

I bought this one:

The cover was done by an indie comics creator Adrian Tomine. He does Optic Nerve which I started reading recently and love.

Another book I was looking at:

Mike Mignola (Hellboy) illustrated the cover. The book is edited by Michael Chabon who wrote "Kavlier and Clay".

It's cool to see comics and their creators on a "literary" scale.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:35 AM
Elite Fan

I really like the cover to the Astonishing Stories book. It is cool that to see comic book artists getting book work outside of "The Art of..." realm. Of course, those books are good too. I got the Greg Horn art book a couple weeks ago, and it is great.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:20 AM
Elite Fan

So...another question that will probably get one response

Do any of you collect anything like toys or statues? I have four Marvel mini-busts and several of the Marvel Legends toys. Am I the only geek here (), or are there others like me? Hehe.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:26 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I made a mistake. Mike Mignola didn't do that cover. He did the interior illustrations.

The Crow, I was actually going to start a comics paraphelia thread. I have figures (still in packages), posters, etc. I'm definitely a geek.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:54 AM
Elite Fan

Woo hoo. I'm not alone.