Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2008, 06:56 PM
I am a basketball genius!

All the Cool Kids Are Doing it: General Comics Discussion #2

I liked Allan's title to the first general comics thread, so I kept it. If you guys know of another great title, then I'll change this one.

Arroboso, do you collect Wizard Magazine?
Old 01-17-2008, 04:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I like the title too. I don't see any need to change it. If that Wizard was from '98, I probably don't have it.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:42 AM
Elite Fan

I probably had it at one time, but have since thrown it out in one of my infrequent cleaning moods.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:35 PM

There were 2 covers to Wizard #84. One had the Amazing Spider Man & the other was Aspen.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:38 AM
Master Fan

Just read NYC Mech v.1 Let's Electrify. It was good. I'm going to look for volume 2 now.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:29 AM
Elite Fan

I don't guess that I've even heard of that one.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm thinking it's a manga? The title sounds familiar but I don't know it.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:43 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah. It does sound like a manga title.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:26 AM
Master Fan

Nope. It's not a manga. It's put out by Image Comics.

Here's a summary via amazon.
Quote:
In the underbelly of New York City, the strong rob the weak and the rich play at being heroes. But this New York is inhabited solely by robots—robots that think, act and feel just as we do. This first collection contains two stories of hope and desperation. In the first, a gang of punk robot thugs commits armed robbery as much for the thrill as the meager take. Unfortunately for them, they've sown the seeds of their own annihilation. In the second, a trust fund baby pretends to be a cop so his fashion model sister will be proud of him. But though he can play the tough guy to shake down drug-dealing teens and penny ante hookers, when the city is plunged into a blackout, he is unready to be a real hero. While the stories are satisfying enough, this book owes its narrative structure and gritty style to Frank Miller's Sin comics, but doesn't dare to tell such unconventional stories. Where the book excels is with MacDonald's art, which captures an off-kilter, stylized world of mecha-humans. NYC Mech has the potential to break new ground, but it hasn't strayed yet from the tried and true.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:50 AM
Elite Fan

Hmmm. Looks interesting.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:09 PM

Yes it does. I will probably check it out. Thanks, because today I spent over 2 hours at Things from another World trying to find the perfect comics to buy.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:19 AM
Elite Fan

I like to browse there. It's a good site.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow (View Post)
I like to browse there. It's a good site.
I meant the actual store. I have only been on their site a few times, but I only live about 10 miles from Dark Horse Headquarters. I've never seen any Fathom there, but interestingly I found some Fathom stuff from 10 to 40% off on their site. The only itemes 40% are Cannon & Aspen's minibusts, although $36 each is a pretty good deal, unless you can get them cheaper on ebay I guess. Now the next time I go there I need to look for NYC Mech.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:13 AM
Master Fan

Unfortunately, my library only has that volume. Looks like I'll be buying the rest.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:16 AM
Elite Fan

That one is more comics related stuff than my library has.

One a side note, I just picked up the issues #1-34 of the 90's Deathlok series off of ebay for $10 bucks. Another batch of comics it'll take me forever to read.