Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 04-09-2004, 06:28 PM
Total Fan

You're all very welcome! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/kiss.gif[/img]

Liliya ~ I agree! He's extremely generous! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] And what's best, he didn't even want anyone to know what he had done!

Another article:

Quote:
Now out on DVD, The Matrix Revolutions wasn't the sci-fi trilogy finale that everyone was hoping for. Critics found it confusing, overwrought, and at times just plain silly, but audiences packed theaters anyway, perhaps out of obligation. You have to see how the story ends, right? One constant throughout the films, though, is the drop-dead cool of Neo. It's really the perfect part for Keanu Reeves — all that's required is kicking butt and looking good. Keanu is knocked by some as just a bad actor with a pretty face, but that's not entirely fair. No, he's not a master thespian, but he's got more screen presence than almost anyone, and in the right role, he's completely entertaining. So this week Cinema Files is counting down the 10 Keanu Reeves Movies You Gotta See.

10. The Devil's Advocate
Working at a New York City law firm is hell. No, seriously. Keanu dons slick suits and a decent Southern accent to play opposite Al Pacino, who turns in a devilishly over-the-top performance.

9. Dangerous Liaisons
His is a small role, and truth be told, Keanu barely registers opposite the likes of Glenn Close, John Malkovich, and Michelle Pfeiffer, but this film is just flat-out great.

8. Much Ado About Nothing
Saying fancy Shakespeare words is hard, but Keanu acquits himself well enough. You can tell he's a bad guy because he's got a beard. Some fine character work that beard does in this movie.

7. Bram Stoker's Dracula
Keanu is in attorney mode again, but this time instead of helping Satan out with some paperwork, he's traveling to Dracula's castle to take care of some real estate work.

6. River's Edge
Dark? Check. Disturbing? Yup. Controversial? Oh yeah. But River's Edge is a cult classic, a harrowing look at aimless, nearly morally bankrupt kids who witness a terrible crime.

5. My Own Private Idaho
Keanu and River Phoenix make a handsome pair in this Gus Van Sant film. They play street hustlers traveling around the Pacific Northwest and engaging in plenty of bad behavior on the way.

4. Point Break
Keanu plays Johnny Utah — coolest name ever — an FBI agent who goes undercover as a surfer dude and hangs 10 with Patrick "100 Percent Pure Adrenaline" Swayze.

3. Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
Excellent! Keanu is triumphantly cast as a time-traveling doofus in the most delightfully stupid movie of the '80s. This comedy is totally quote-worthy. All we are is dust in the wind, dude.

2. Speed
Keanu's career is so strange. He goes from playing Siddhartha in Little Buddha to playing a bus-riding, nearly monosyllabic beefcake who woos Sandra Bullock at 50 miles per hour in this 1994 flick.

1. The Matrix
Not only is The Matrix the best film in the Wachowski brothers' trilogy, but it also features Keanu as the savior-in-shades Neo, arguably the best role of his career. Whoa.
(source)

I'd add Something's Gotta Give to the list as well! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-09-2004, 06:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, definitely add that to the list. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Sasha
Old 04-10-2004, 02:03 PM
Loyal Fan

Thanks Maja [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]. If Sasha is the queen of all that's smilies you sure are the queen of all that's Keanu! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2004, 10:50 PM
Fan Forum Star

[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Yay, me and Maja are queens!

Sasha
Old 04-11-2004, 02:22 AM
Fan Forum Star

I found a funny satire/spoof article about Keanu. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

The Passion of the Buddha by Keanu Reeves

Hollywood- Keanu Reeves is set to make his own film as the director and star of "The Passion of The Buddha," a story depicting the "ecstactic passion" and "sexual energy" of Buddha's life before reaching "Nirvana."

Bolstered by the immense success of "The Passion of the Christ," by Mel Gibson, Reeves is said to be "inspired."

Not much is known yet but Reeves is said to have been on a pure meat and dairy diet to achieve the weight requirements of playing Buddha on film.

Reeves starred in another film on the life of Buddha, called "Little Buddha" in the 1990's, but called it artsy-"crap." "I'm going to make a film that really shows what he went through in his life," Reeves declared.

There has been no official reaction from any of the world Buddhist organizations.

Sasha
Old 04-11-2004, 07:43 AM
Passionate Fan

[img]smilies/rotfl.gif[/img] That is just too funny!! I want to be the first one to rub this Buddah's tummy. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

(icon by Me)
Old 04-11-2004, 04:51 PM
Fan Forum Star

Kinky!! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Sasha
Old 04-12-2004, 06:41 PM
Loyal Fan

[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] You sure are not dummy Liz [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img].

I adore the Queen smile! You two have well earned those crowns [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-13-2004, 06:00 PM
Fan Forum Star

An article posted this weekend that compares Ashton Kutcher to Keanu. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Hey, dude where's my career going?

IT ONLY takes one film to transport an actor into the major leagues. Tom Cruise just had to cavort in his tight whites to cement his rising stardom in Risky Business. The success of that film allowed him to pull away from a crowd of Brat Pack rivals such as Rob Lowe and Matt Dillon.

Reese Witherspoon found her signature role in Legally Blonde and was instantly transformed into the most bankable female comedy star of her generation. It’s not quite on the same scale, but the surprise popularity of moronic stoner romp Dude, Where’s My Car? in 2000 helped single out Ashton Kutcher as one of the younger male actors most likely to succeed.

Tall and lean, with the chiselled looks of a model, Kutcher lost out to Josh Hartnett for a lead role in Pearl Harbor but has shown a winning way with broad comedy roles in films such as Just Married and My Boss’s Daughter. His company also produces the prankster show Punk’d and his relationship with Demi Moore has made him prime tabloid fodder for the past year. In the game of modern celebrity, he has risen remarkably swiftly since being chosen as one of the Fresh Faces of Iowa in a 1997 modelling contest. Whether he has the talent to last is the question that now hangs over his career.

Often hailed as a 21st-century Keanu Reeves, Kutcher has yet to really prove himself as an actor of range or depth. The sensitive Reeves was frequently confused with his airhead roles in Bill and Ted during the early stages of his career before he pushed his talents in films like the Shakespeare ensemble Much Ado About Nothing and the Bertolucci epic Little Buddha. Even now, there are plenty who consider Reeves to be merely a personable performer with the acting skills of a tree, and that’s despite a rollercoaster career that stretches over 20 years. Kutcher is likely to face a similar level of opposition.

Like the young Reeves, goofy comedy would seem to be his forte. His recent performance as the narcissistic actor in Cheaper by the Dozen was one of the highlights of that bland Steve Martin comedy. Reeves made a similar impression a generation earlier in Martin’s film Parenthood.

The paranoid thriller/chiller The Butterfly Effect should have been Kutcher’s coming of age. He is the executive producer of the film and stars in the kind of challenging lead role any young actor would savour. Instead of silencing his critics, it’s more likely to provide them with further ammunition. He simply lacks the range and gravitas to measure up to the emotional demands the film places upon him.

Chaos theory tells us that the flap of a butterfly’s wing can cause a hurricane in a distant part of the globe. It states that for every action there is a reaction, and if just one tiny, seemingly inconsequential thing changes, absolutely nothing stays the same. It’s a good premise for a Twilight Zone-style story in which one man’s actions touch the lives of many different people.

Told in flashback, the film focuses on psychology student Evan Treborn (Kutcher). In his youth he has suffered blackouts that repress chilling memories of childhood abuse, death and the absence of his mentally unbalanced father. By the time he has entered college, he has been free of blackouts for seven years. Then he starts to read his childhood journals and discovers that he can travel back in time to those missing events and try to change things for the better.

Inevitably, playing God comes at a price. Every times he tries to change events he awakes in a new version of reality. Thus, at various times, he is a frat boy in love with his childhood sweetheart, a haggard prison inmate, a wheelchair-bound double amputee, and so on. He also creates different realities for the people who are closest to him, including his mother and Kalley (Amy Smart) who winds up a scared, drug addicted prostitute in one version of their lives.

Dumb and in dubious taste, The Butterfly Effect demands a tour de force from its leading man and Kutcher just doesn’t quite have it in him. He is asked to play the gamut from elation to frustration, fear and vulnerability but doesn’t really convince. At one point Kaylee claims: "Your accent is different and you don’t even walk the same way", which comes as news to the audience.

Kutcher seems pretty much the same all the way through, regardless of the twisted developments and traumatic events Evan faces.

Amy Smart steals the acting honours with the different shadings and readings that she brings to Kaylee, and gives some indication of what a more skilled actor might have brought to the role of Evan. Kutcher is still only 26. At his age, Tony Curtis was the dashing hero of colourful romps such as The Prince Who Was A Thief and Son of Ali Baba. Before him lay searing drama like The Sweet Smell of Success and sublime comedy like Some Like It Hot. Curtis proved that pretty boy stars can mature into gifted, versatile actors. Kutcher still has plenty of time to follow in his footsteps.

Article

Any thoughts?

Sasha
Old 04-13-2004, 06:45 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for posting that. I like Ashton Kutcher, and I can see why people would make the comparison.

But I think the big difference is that Keanu has more than proven himself over the years. Plus, he actually cares more about being an actor rather than a celebirty. For example, he hasn't started any fashion trends, dated Demi Moore, or hosted a reality show. There's the difference. A big difference.

Mostly, I'm getting tired of the media's treatment of Keanu. Even movie critics have complimented his performances in the last 8-10 years. So why haven't entertainment journalists caught up?

Sorry, I've been on a ranting phase. I've been doing it on every board I've been on today. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-13-2004, 08:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Rant away! I don't mind. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Sasha
Old 04-14-2004, 12:47 AM
Loyal Fan

Oh yeah, definitely rant away! I agree he's severely abused by the media. He's been proving for years now that he's worthy.

I don't like Kutcher and I consider him quite the famewhore so the article disturbed me! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]. I don't even agree with 'goofy comedy' being Keanu's forte per se. He does it well but he's also good at drama, mere comedy, certainly sci-fi material etc.

Thanks Sasha for the article [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. It's an interesting analysis anyway and he's rightly been called 'sensitive' instead of a tree!
Old 04-17-2004, 08:43 PM
Fan Forum Star

[img]smilies/pinkie.gif[/img] Keanu is on the cover of Canada's TV Guide this week! [img]smilies/blinkie.gif[/img]

Click to see them in larger format:

[img]smilies/slinkie.gif[/img] [img]smilies/hotpinkie.gif[/img]

Sasha
Old 04-17-2004, 09:47 PM
Loyal Fan

I can't see the pics but I'm excited in advance! Thanks Sasha for the info [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]