Old 09-24-2004, 09:27 PM
Elite Fan

It's one that I'm not fussy about
Old 09-24-2004, 09:58 PM
Elite Fan

Someone has a calendar coming out in October

Old 09-24-2004, 10:19 PM
Absolute Fan

We can use it to fill out all his crazy debuts coming up!

Whassa wrong with Hunchback of ND? It inspired young girls around the world to go out like Esmerelda on Halloween, in baremidriffs and skirts. But it's a funny movie, albeit the gargoyles are nightmare-inducing.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:22 PM
Elite Fan

I didn't hate it. It just wasn't a fave. I remember watching it when my oldest was 2ish and he having nightmares from all the fire
Old 09-29-2004, 09:44 PM
Elite Fan

No AMA Nomination Today, still waiting for Fan's Choice - The American Music Award nomination list was announced today. Clay was not on the nominee list for Best Pop/Rock Artist. He was nominated last year in this category and Fans Choice Award which he won. We are still waiting for the Fans Choice Award nominee to be announced next week! Good Luck Clay!!

TV Christmas Special Confirmed! A Clay fan at a music industry conference reported that a Clay Aiken Christmas Special is definitely in the works. No network has been mentioned but a rumored date of December 8th was floating around!
Old 09-30-2004, 12:47 AM
Total Fan

i want that calender

i have a joe boxer calender at the moment.

YAY FOR A CHRISTMAS SPECIAL! thats so exciting!!!!
Old 09-30-2004, 02:49 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by brasha

TV Christmas Special Confirmed! A Clay fan at a music industry conference reported that a Clay Aiken Christmas Special is definitely in the works. No network has been mentioned but a rumored date of December 8th was floating around!

Officially dead. It's a dream come flippin' true.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:00 PM
Elite Fan

Resitates HG. You can't die...then you won't be able to watch it
Old 10-01-2004, 09:31 PM
Elite Fan

Aladdin: Platinum Edition

****1/2 (Audio: A+, Video: A+, Features: A)

Voices: Robin Williams, Scott Weinger, Linda Larkin, Brad Kane, Lea Salonga, Jonathan Freeman, Frank Welker, Gilbert Gottfried, Douglas Seale. Directed by Ron Clements and John Musker. Written by Ron Clements, John Musker, Ted Elliott, Terry Rossio. Released by Walt Disney Home Entertainment. 1992. 90 minutes. Rated G.

Anamorphic, Dolby 5.1, audio commentaries, new music videos, Virtual DVD Ride, Inside the Genie's Lamp, The Genie World Tour, 3 Wishes Game, deleted song "Proud of Your Boy," featurette, pop-up fun facts.

At long last, Disney has released the animated blockbuster "Aladdin" to DVD, though it does not come without reservations for purists. Some may recall that certain Arab-American groups protested the lyrics to "Arabian Nights," specifically the words, "...where they cut off your ear if they don't like your face, it's barbaric, but hey, it's home!" Those lyrics were, on the video, subsequently changed to "... where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense... it's barbaric, but hey, it's home!" Well, much to the chagrin of those who believe movies should not be changed to appease special interest groups of any kind, the new DVD features those same altered lyrics. It's a shame, really, because they were written by the great Howard Ashman who died before "Aladdin" was completed, with Tim Rice completing the remainder of the songs. No matter how offensive -- or not -- it's a crime to mutilate the words of a lyricist like Ashman, particularly when the film was released theatrically with them intact. There's a solution, however -- get the CD, which has the original words -- and play it in synch with the film during that section. It's a hassle, but in the interest of free speech, this is the only solution that will send Disney and the special interests a much-needed lesson. Particularly during a time when people would be grateful to hear of just an ear being lopped off in the same part of the world.

But back to the DVD which, apart from that pesky issue, is magnificent. Some of the pop culture references don't quite work any more, but Robin Williams' genie is a comedic wonder just the same. The sheer mania alone more than makes up for anything that starts to seem dated. As a digital transfer, this is without a doubt the sharpest and most colorful that Disney has yet done, exceeding even "The Lion King." The audio has been remastered with the same attentive home environment focus as that on "The Lion King," so it sounds comparable. There are obviously different audio challenges here, but no one is going to quibble with a whit of it. And for those who do, the original theatrical 5.1 track is also available.

Extras are a virtual gold mind, starting with the rediscovered song "Proud of Your Boy." Why this song wasn't included is a mystery -- it's one of the best that Ashman and Menken ever wrote together, and it soars above most all the other songs present in the film. A beautiful new performance of the song by Clay Aiken underscores just what an unfortunate omission it really was. Also featured are storyboard drawings of how the song was to have been incorporated, further solidifying the feeling that the filmmakers made a mistake by cutting it. The downside to hearing this song and Aiken's performance of it is that it makes the new performance of "A Whole New World" by Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey seem absolutely dull. It's still a beautiful song and their performance of it is marvelous -- but it's not remotely the song that "Proud of Your Boy" is.

Other deleted material is less enthralling -- several other deleted songs and scenes that were more wisely excised in the first place. Rough sketches are used to give a sense of what the resulting scenes might have been like.

The remaining extras are divided into two groups -- those that will appeal to children and those that appeal to adults. For the kids there are sing-alongs, an ungodly number of games and activities (inside the genie's lamp, make wishes, ride a carpet... all only modestly funny or fun to anyone older than six). For adults there are two commentaries -- one with the filmmakers, the other with the artists -- which are both decent, but not stellar. Lots of technical information and modestly interesting anecdotes, enthusiastically related. Further information can be accessed via a pop-up fun facts track -- one of those textual "trivia" features that contains stuff that nobody really has any business knowing.

Documentary material is predictably cheery, with Leonard Maltin -- a Disney regular -- serving as a congenial host for nearly two hours of featurette fodder that's immensely pleasant to watch. Another piece on composer Menken is also quite good.

The double-disc release follows the same packaging approach as on "The Lion King" and most of Disney's other recent animated special releases -- two discs inside a slimline Amaray keepcase with a cardboard sleeve and fold-open guide to the feature set. As an added bonus, Disney is selling the disc as part of a holiday promotion that rewards the buyer of any three Disney DVDs or videos with a fourth title "free." Given the number of high profile titles Disney will have out by the time the holiday shopping season gets into gear, this strategy should pay off handsomely.-Wade Major

Collector Rating: MUST HAVE
Old 10-03-2004, 01:18 AM
Elite Fan

Because I glowing reviews :

Quote:
“Proud of Your Boy”--Clay Aiken Does It Again!

Special DVD Release -- Aladdin -- Walt Disney Productions

In Stores: October 5, 2004

by Dianne Austin

I'm not a reporting journalist, and therefore, don't deal much with items that are of the "breaking news" variety, but I couldn't resist this.

I had an opportunity to view Clay Aiken's "Proud of Your Boy" from the Disney special release DVD Aladdin, and felt it warranted some comments.

I've never been prompted to review a single song by any artist including Mr. Aiken in the past--this is the first time. And while there have been many renditions of songs this artist has produced that have affected me intensely; "Bridge Over Troubled Water", the acoustic version of "Measure of a Man", "Solitaire" and "You Were There" just to mention a few, I must say that this new addition to the Aladdin score is by far the best thing I have ever heard by Clay Aiken.

After I got over the initial impact and full effect of that voice paired with the stirring melody and heartfelt lyrics, it dawned on me that the Disney execs have got to be smiling and nodding at one another, because they now know what a gold mine they've found in this young man. Honestly, there never has been a more definitive sound to a voice for Disney animated movies. When you hear it, you'll know what I mean in an instant. If they haven't already signed him to do a full-length animated film at this point, I'm sure they're working on it.

Clay's voice is like no other and is naturally enhanced because of several other factors he exhibits that come into play on this recording. Besides power, amazing breath control, and unbelievable range, he has an element to his voice that, for the most part, cannot be described. The closest I can come is to say that it is pure and sweet, with a melodious quality that beckons you to go with him as Aladdin through those Arabian Nights, to find the genie he eventually liberates from the lamp.

Another ability the man has perfected is his phrasing. Clay has an innate talent for taking lyrics and grouping them together in a way that accents meaning with style and flare. He's an expert at it, and in this song his ability is proven beyond a shadow of a doubt.

As if all of this incredible vocal ability isn’t enough, just open your eyes and WATCH Clay’s delivery of the song. Here’s a man with such boyish innocence in his face that it enables him to pick you up at the start of the song, and drop you off at the end, while never relinquishing the tug he’s got going on the old heartstrings. Funny part about it is, you just love it when he won’t let go.

Here's one more reason why this music is "great" and not just "good". It's because after hearing it for just the first time, it becomes embedded in your mind as if it were familiar; a classic song that will live forever.

You know the kind of song I mean--that timeless piece that starts by forging a path for new material, then holds a place in each of our hearts forever. Those are the ones that make a mark in history, because the combination of song writer and singer become the representative musical style of what we have come to know and love in Disney movie scores.

Take my word for it, when October 5th rolls around, you’ll want to go and grab a copy of the new Aladdin DVD just to see and hear Aiken’s rendition of “Proud of Your Boy” that has been added to the music for the movie.

Believe me, it's quite amazing!

Editor: Michelle Arce
Old 10-05-2004, 07:09 PM
Elite Fan

Clay Aiken: We Now Know We Have Touched Him
by Margaret Meeuwen (2004/10/05)

Here is what Clay wrote: (Warning spoiler from the book Learning To Sing):

"I am still surprised when people in the crowd sing along. Once on the last tour as we were playing Measure of a Man, I had to stop singing for a second to clear my throat. I went quiet, but the whole audience kept singing the words. I stopped and listened to them. Then my eyes welled up. I was almost light-headed. I had to grab my backup singer's hand to steady myself because I thought, There are fifteen thousand people in this room and they all know this song! They're all singing my song. Which means they listen to my song in their cars. I'm in their cars! I'm in their houses! It was one of those times when my new life washed over me, when I felt the power of music. It was almost too much."

Here is what I felt:

I just read the book spoiler. Wow I was there at Wilkes Barre as were many of you. I think I want to cry. I knew it. You could see how much he was touched. Oh, I am so happy he felt this way. I hope he knows our love for him fully. Other than my immediate family and a few friends, I don't think I have loved anyone more. I don't know if I am out of bounds but I think I love him almost as much as my own boys. I feel so fortunate I was at that concert and able to experience the moment. Of all my Clay experiences I have had, this is at the top of the list. I have emblazoned in my brain the sweet broad smile he had on his face with tears in his eyes, holding Quianna's hand (she was crying I think also as well as Angela). I was glued to the Jumbotron soaking in the sunshine of his sweet sweet smile and those beautiful tears. As we sang to him he choked up and then he smiled so big I thought he was gonna bust his face. He was grinning from ear to ear so sweetly and holding Quianna's hand. He eventually sang the end of Measure of a Man. I will never forget that moment.

You know we all want to touch him literally with all the love in our hearts for him. We want him to see and feel it. We want him to know beyond a doubt what he has given us and how he has made us feel... but not all have been able or will be able to shake his hand or get a meet and greet audience with him. (I am one of those who sadly have not had that privilege even though I have tried really hard, and will have seen him so many times live, actually came close a few times but sadly it was not to be.) Not many really will have that experience of showing Clay in an up close and personal, tangible way how we feel about him. However, we have touched him in other just as fulfilling and beautiful ways.

Those of us who were at the Wilkes Barre concert can know that we touched Clay, we really touched him and he felt our love in a special way and he will never forget it as long as he lives. We know that now without a doubt. We will never forget it either. Oh, the joy to know he was touched in the way he was as he now tells us so. I am at peace now about this; I know I have touched him, I know I have made him feel all the love in my heart for him... but think about it... any of us who voted for him on AI2, have bought his music, gone to a concert or more and taken others with us, have shared his music with others, called in a request, voted for an award, a poll, any of us who have supported his causes with volunteer work and/or money.

We have all touched Clay with our love - yes we all have! And he recognizes and has told us so in his book, in radio interviews, on TV, at concerts... though the icing on the cake would be to shake his hand and look in his eyes and allow him to see all the love we have in that way (I do not deny that desire), I can cope without it now.

You know I thought of the WB concert and Clay's comments. You know he could have thought "Wow they know all my songs and are singing them with me - I'm hot stuff!" No not our Clay, he would not think that, nosireee. He was thinking of something bigger - bigger than him, bigger than us, bigger than the experience. He was humbled. It's all about love and the power of the wonderful gift of music to heal, to sooth, to convict and move, to help us share all that we are, to help us be one, to help us forget about all our differences and move us to think about what is important really important - to love, to feel, to know we matter, to have purpose and communion with one another, to hope, to forgive, to feel, to live really live and Clay sang about it in his music - All About Love, NMSS, ISY, IWCY, etc., and we sing his songs - yes we do over and over pondering in their beauty and the way he make us feel and move The Way that he moves us - oh, such a wonderful thing...

And I am so happy that we move him and he has definitely moved us.

Marge NJ

P.S. Afterthoughts: I think after reading this book we may completely understand why we love him so very very much. What an angel - I am so moved tonight. I feel like I don't deserve this moment... don't deserve the wonderful blessings in my life from my fanship of Clay Aiken.

P.S.S. Now some of you may shake your heads and not understand. We Clay fans are pretty sane in every other part of our lives. My fellow nurses at work said they never would have guessed I would be a fan like this for anyone. But we have fallen hard for Clay and there is no explaining it adequately; there is no apology offered. It's kind of a mystery to us in some ways. It's more than his talent; It's everything about him. We are devoted and he gives so much back to us. We will never tire of being his fans and hope for many wonderful surprises from him for years to come.

-----------------------------

*sniff sniff* Loved this
Old 10-05-2004, 09:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Aww. I love Clay even more if that's possible.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:16 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Periwinkles
Aww. I love Clay even more if that's possible.
I know. How is it possible to love him more when you're already going to pop with it? But we always manage to cram more lovin' in
Old 10-05-2004, 10:45 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Clay's asking for it. Being too cute. And coming out with tons of stuff in November.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:40 AM
Absolute Fan

AWWW. I lurve that video too. He gets this 'look' on his face that is like happiness, pride for his fans and his eyes begin to water and...*hyperventilates* All in all...a great moment with a great guy.

Can't wait for the book!