Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-15-2004, 08:40 AM
Addicted Fan

Grammy Discussion: Christina’s Chances and everything else

In 3 ½ weeks the Grammies will telecast on February 8th. I thought that we could discuss Christina chances or anything else Grammy related. I would love for Christina to win every award; however, sometimes people get caught up in the tabloid crap and dismiss talent. Voters if you could hear my plea vote on talent and not on popularity.

Song of the Year

Beautiful
Linda Perry, songwriter (Christina Aguilera)

Dance With My Father
Richard Marx & Luther Vandross, songwriters (Luther Vandross)

I'm With You
Avril Lavigne & The Matrix, songwriters (Avril Lavigne)

Keep Me In Your Heart
Jorge Calderón & Warren Zevon, songwriters (Warren Zevon)

Lose Yourself
J. Bass, M. Mathers & L. Resto, songwriters (Eminem)

In all honestly I really feel that the battle is between Beautiful, Dance with My Father and Lose Yourself. You have your sympathy vote: Luther Vandross, Underdog vote: Linda Perry and then you have Eminem.

You would think that Linda would take this because of the radio play it received along with the positive reactions from the video; however, Lose Yourself was a big hit. Seriously think of the whole 8-mile soundtrack that’s the only commercial success song that you can actually name. I am not sure if the Grammy voters feel that they should award this to Luther since his stroke or not? You never know where the voters will swing too.

I do hope that Linda does win this award for so many reasons though. First, she was so unsure to give the song away in the first place. Now if the voters’ award Linda with this win, all doubts of giving the song to Christina will go away.

Best Female Pop Vocal Performance

Beautiful
Christina Aguilera
Track from: Stripped

Miss Independent
Kelly Clarkson
Track from: Thankful

White Flag
Dido
Track from: Life For Rent

I'm With You
Avril Lavigne
Track from: Let Go

Fallen
Sarah McLachlan

Okay call me bias; however, I really feel that Christina has this in the bag unless Sarah McLachlan takes this from her. The only problem with this is that a lot of Christina’s vocal showcase was not shown through her singles. Walk Away, Singing My Song, Soar and I’m Okay show ranges that even as a fan I was not aware of it. From the sultry sounds to the soprano these tracks show the vocal ability that her counterparts in this category did not have. FYI- Christina did win this catgeory at the Latin Grammy's. Again, I might just be bias. LOL

Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals

 Can't Hold Us Down
Christina Aguilera & Lil' Kim

 La Vie En Rose
Tony Bennett & k.d. lang

 Gonna Change My Way Of Thinking
Bob Dylan & Mavis Staples

 Feel Good Time
Pink Featuring William Orbit

 Whenever I Say Your Name
Sting & Mary J. Blige

The only two songs I even heard on the radio were Christina and Pink’s single. From the last two winners of this category it’s basically goes to the big hit. None of these songs were that big of a hit; however, Christina featuring Lil Kim is the one that has major airplay. Last Year, it went to Carlos Santana & Michelle Branch The Game of Love, the year before that it went to the year before Lady Marmalade. Also if Christina does win this, I really will recommend Tony Bennett to work with Christina because, every time they are up against each other in this category Christina always take it.

Best Pop Vocal Album

 Stripped
Christina Aguilera

 Brainwashed
George Harrison

 Bare
Annie Lennox

 Motown
Michael McDonald

 Justified
Justin Timberlake

Now this is an interesting group, you have Grammy Favorites Annie Lennox and Michael McDonald. I know that “certain” critics have named Justin the King of Pop; however, boys and girls he comes, no where near the vocals of Michael McDonald. Mr. McDonald is the only man that I know besides Bobby Womack that can keep up with Patti Labelle. Do I think Christina has a chance with this one? Not sure, this is not MTV picking the winner it’s the industry and sometimes they feel different then voting the in crowd.

Okay, I would love to hear what you guys think, don’t be shy we have some time to talk and discuss this before February 8th where everyone will have his or her fingers cross for Christina or whoever they are routing for.

Remedy
Old 01-15-2004, 09:57 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Hey Rem, nice to see ya round' here again. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I have a feeling that Christina might win 2 out of 4 Grammys that night. For Best Female Vocal and Best Pop Collaboration...not sure about the others, she has tough competition in them catergories.

- Best Song of Year: I agree w/ you that her toughest competition is Eminem's Loose Yourself, especially after he won that Oscar for best song. (I think) I feel bad for all that Luther Vandross is going thru but I hope the Grammy voters don't go for the "sympathy route" and give it to him. I like to think Beautiful has a great chance to win and finally get some respect for Linda Perry writing skills and picking the right person to sing it. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

- Best Female Pop Vocal Performance: I also agree w/ you that Christina has this in the bag, or at least I hope so. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Sarah McLachlan is probably a distant 2nd giving Christina competition in this category. But other than that there's nobody else.

- Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals: I also agree w/ you that I only heard Christina's and Pink's song out of all those in that category. Though I would have preferred her to release another single instead of this one, I think it has a pretty good job of winning. The song along w/ the video had that controversial appeal to it that made everyone want to see it. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

- Best Pop Vocal Album: This catergory is probably the toughest for Christina to win but I'm glad she was nominated w/ all the other artists. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
I have a feeling George Harrison will win this one but you never know...Christina might surprise people like her big win for the Best New Artist back in the day! [img]smilies/glow.gif[/img]

In the end if Christina just wins one I'll be happy w/ that...but a sweep would be much sweeter. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I'm also looking forward to her performance that night of Beautiful. I hope she sounds as amazing like she did singing it at the AMA's last year. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

I kinda wanted her to do The Voice Within too but that's alright. If it's any indication most artists that perform that night...end up winning too!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-15-2004, 02:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
originally posted by Remedy:

Serious, Pat I sometimes think you are my twin. LOL
Aww thanks Rem. [img]smilies/glow.gif[/img]

Quote:
LOL Luther not to be rude or anything; however, award ceremonies for some reasons acknowledge people when they are ill or deceased. Remember, when Gloria Estfen became injury with the bus and survived she then start winning awards like crazy, or when Aaliayah she won awards. It is like you have to overcome an injury or become deceased to be acknowledging for your craft. Maybe Luther will pick up in the R&B sections since he is nominate in those categories too.

I have to agree completely and I noticed that too...them acknowledging deceased or sick artists. How come they can't be acknowleged before when they were healthy and fine. [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]

Quote:
Marshall received an Oscar for that too, hmmm it might just go to him. The Grammy voters do love Marshall, have you ever notice that the only time they show the Rap category is when Marshall wins?
I think it was an Oscar or Emmy for Best Song from a Motion Picture, so I'm thinking Marhall might just take that one too. And I definitely notice that too...Rap category getting air time when Eminem is nominated and wins. Typical... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Quote:
I really can see Christina and Kim taking Pop Collaborations with Vocals this away, and since Kim has been drop from Atlantic she needs every Grammy she can get to get on a label.
Wow I didn't even know Kim was dropped...not surprised though, her last album didn't do much like they thought it would.

Quote:
You know what I wasn’t surprise that Christina won Best New Artist when she perform on the AMA that’s when I knew she had it. It is one thing to listen to the music but perform that live and you hear something different.
I was surprised she won, didn't expect her to win w/ just one single out. But I agree her first performance at the AMA's was incredible and showed what was to come from Miss Aguilera. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I wonder though if she would have only sung What A Girl Wants and not I Turn To You, would she still had won the Grammy? [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]

Quote:
For her performance I just want her and the microphone, no back up singers at all. Singing acappella that would bringing the meaning to the song clearly and maybe just have a smile on Linda’s face. Now, if Christina needs to have someone onstage then I say a children choir then. Just think how beautiful that would be to see them singing with her.
I'm so with you on that...Christina on stage w/ Linda Perry (which would only be fitting) on the piano and no colorful lights, dancers, or back-up singers. Just Christina and Linda on stage....that would be so amazing! [img]smilies/glow.gif[/img]

Hmma a choir would be nice but I'd prefer a choir if she would do The Voice Within song.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:43 PM
Passionate Fan

Song of the year
Little tough here. I feel like Eminem's posse is gonna walk away with this one. Everytime I see his name as a nominee in ANY category he always wins just like JT. I really hope Christina/Linda gets this one though. Beautiful is a wonderful well written song.

Best Female Pop Vocal Performance
hmmm, I'm having the fear that all of the teeny bopper Kelly Clarkson fans will go crazy and she might snag this one. Sarah has a good chance to snag it away from Christina too. The other two (Dido & Avril) no chance, IMO. I'll give Christina a good chance on winning this one though, HOPEFULLY.

Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals
Well, looking at the nominees.. Christina & Lil' Kim have this in the bag.

Best Pop Vocal Album
ah, this is another thoughy. All good nominees. I feel like Justin has this one won though, Hopefully not and it goes to Christina.

All of that said, I wish Christina the best of luck! Go girl!
Old 01-16-2004, 08:04 AM
Addicted Fan

Lil Kim sorry got the facts wrong she left Atlantic and now is a free agent. With her winning anything that night could really help her with a deal that will benefit her.

Song of the Year Here’s an interesting tidbit the Grammy Voters have never award Song of the Year to a Rap Artists.

Does this help the chances of Christina, maybe; however, it could mean that her competition is against Luther then. All the Song of the Year Grammy Winners has been awarded to the old school of music expect for last year to Jesse Harris for Norah Jones “Don’t know why and Alicia Keys for Fallin.

Pop Female vocals Also another tidbit for you Sarah has won this category twice in 1997 & 1999. So we were right that is Christina’s major competition. I am still keeping my fingers cross for Christina on this one.

Performance I really agree with you on the performance also. This will not only bringing the rawness that Linda thought of the song it will also give us a taste of her new album. Remember it’s all about the vocal comment she made in Allure.

I do not have Justin’s album so I really cannot give an honest opinion on if he can give win this one. I do have Michael, Annie and Christina those albums have major vocals that just floor me. My question is does his album have the vocals to take this win or is it his persona that makes me people think he will win it? I am not trying to knock people views or anything I am just curious what the album sounds like.

Also, I am not sure if you understand how important that it’s for Christina to actually win an award. Clive Davis, is now the President of RCA Group (RCA and J are merge incase you did not know) and even though he has opened our ears to some good music, he can also closes them too.

Out of all the RCA and J artists she carries the most nominations tying with Luther. We know that Luther will not be able to attend the awards due to health so Christina is going to be the one holding the weight. Man, glad I am not she. LOL

As always I look forward everyone thoughts.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:55 AM
Fan Forum Hero

DanzinQueen, welcome. [img]smilies/wave.gif[/img]

Quote:

Lil Kim sorry got the facts wrong she left Atlantic and now is a free agent. With her winning anything that night could really help her with a deal that will benefit her.
I still don't like her so it don't matter to me. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
Song of the Year Here’s an interesting tidbit the Grammy Voters have never award Song of the Year to a Rap Artists.
Thanks for that tidbit, that's encouraging and increases Christina's chances. But at the same time...it means her toughest competition is Luther and look at the state he's in. [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]

Quote:
Pop Female vocals Also another tidbit for you Sarah has won this category twice in 1997 & 1999. So we were right that is Christina’s major competition. I am still keeping my fingers cross for Christina on this one.
Darn that's not a good tidbit to learn. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] As much as I like Sarah, I don't think her album or song did that good this year. Whereas Christina's did and received alot of media attention, whether it was good or bad. So hopefully she'll at least take this one home.

Quote:
Performance I really agree with you on the performance also. This will not only bringing the rawness that Linda thought of the song it will also give us a taste of her new album. Remember it’s all about the vocal comment she made in Allure.
I agree and sorta off-topic make sure you watch Christina on the Dave Letterman show tonight. She's singing a song that you might end up liking.... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Back to the topic...in the end I like to think that most artists that perform that night end up winning...so I hope that streak continues. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ 01-16-2004: Message edited M_J_23 ]
Old 01-16-2004, 10:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh one more thing...have a question?

If you could pick any artists or celebrity to give Christina a Grammy (in case she wins)...who would it be? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I've got a couple of people in mind...one of them is Eminem. I think it would be nice and cool of him to give her the award after she did the same at the VMA's last year. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-16-2004, 12:34 PM
Addicted Fan

First off welcome DanzniQueen to the topic; hope to see you around again.

Pat, Again another twin moment stuff like this makes me realize why we are part of the special crew. Emimen is one person I would love to give Christina an award. I mean come on how many times has Christina given him one. So yes, that would just be nice and even though Chris will kill me I just think the two of them working together would explode. They could do something on the level of Method Man and Mary; I just don’t want her singing a freaking hook.

Mm I liked LiL Kim back in the day when she rolled with the Mafia, and a little when she did the Lady Marmalade. Am I the only one wishing that Eve’s part of CHUD never was replaced? I really would love to hear how that sounded.

Also heard the rumors about Dave Letterman, can’t wait to hear it.

Does anyone know if Clive has said anything positive about Christina?
Old 01-16-2004, 12:42 PM
Elite Fan

I think Christina shoudl take all of them, other than Pop Vocal Album. I haven't really heard ANY of her competition in any of the catagories, other than Justin. The kid is slick. Not that i'm saying he'll beat Christina in the last catagory, but from reading Q's first post, i think the competition is stiffer. I do'nt know who Mike McDonald is, when i read it I immediately thought of Norm McDonald and Annie Lennox,... -shrug- i don't know her either. Justin's CD was top notch so I'd be inclined to lean towaards his CD, as the bad aspects of Dirty cancel out the good aspects of Beautiful.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:

Pat, Again another twin moment stuff like this makes me realize why we are part of the special crew.
Aww... [img]smilies/hug.gif[/img] btw I haven't been able to check my emails but I will soon. Send a shout-out to the crew for me. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
Emimen is one person I would love to give Christina an award. I mean come on how many times has Christina given him one. So yes, that would just be nice and even though Chris will kill me I just think the two of them working together would explode. They could do something on the level of Method Man and Mary; I just don’t want her singing a freaking hook.

Same here and I do think them working together would be very cool. I can see some nice chemistry between them too...just imagine the media. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Quote:
Mm I liked LiL Kim back in the day when she rolled with the Mafia, and a little when she did the Lady Marmalade. Am I the only one wishing that Eve’s part of CHUD never was replaced? I really would love to hear how that sounded.

Okay well I liked her only a little bit I admit during the whole Lady Marmalade thing but that's about it.

And you definitely aren't the only one that preferred Eve's version of CHUD instead of Kim's. IMO, Eve is a way better than Kim is...plus she seems like a cool person to hang around w/.

Quote:
Does anyone know if Clive has said anything positive about Christina?
I've never heard of Clive saying anything about Christina...heck I didn't even know he owned RCA. [img]smilies/goof.gif[/img] But one thing he should do is make Christina release Impossible w/ Alicia Keys and have them perform that song all over the place. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Glad ya heard the Letterman rumors...I so can't wait for tonight... [img]smilies/glow.gif[/img]
Old 01-20-2004, 07:05 AM
Addicted Fan

Chris Michael McDonald is the guy singing on the MCI commercials. I am trying to think of something you can download and the best would be his duet with Patti Labelle On my own .

So Justin has some skills, hmm I might just have to check it out. Makes you wonder though, if he does win a Grammy will that be the final nail in the coffin for NSYNC?

Eve and Christina I really would like to know what in the world happen there. It is one question that a journalist should throw out to either one.

RCA and J Records yeah they merge together and both our under the BMG. Clive runs the whole joint, which makes me happy in a way. Honestly, I think when Christina perform Impossible at the AMA is was two things one a test to see if the people would jump and request this song or two to show people a different side to her vocals.

Letterman first off can I tell you that I was freaking happy that she was going to perform Walk Way . I really want the voters to hear a different side to her voice even though they receive albums from the nominees. Anyway, here I am thinking that once they here this they will go grab their ballots and mark Christina and then I went to the Grammy site and saw this.

GRAMMY nominations ballots for the next round of voting will be mailed on Dec. 11 to the voting members of the Recording Academy. They are due back to the accounting firm of Deloitte & Touche by January 7, 2004, when they will be tabulated and the results kept secret until the telecast.

The only thing I did not like about the performance was the over riffing. I love the song how it is on the album and I do understand that she had to make a five-minute song a two minute one, just prefer the album version.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:29 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:

So Justin has some skills, hmm I might just have to check it out. Makes you wonder though, if he does win a Grammy will that be the final nail in the coffin for NSYNC?
Well I have a copy of his CD and don't think it's that good, it's alright I guess. And I think it would really be the nail in the coffin for Nsync...plus the whole boy band phase is very over already.

Quote:
Eve and Christina I really would like to know what in the world happen there. It is one question that a journalist should throw out to either one.
Ditto...someone should definitely ask one of them what happend. Maybe it was the labels or something... [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]

Quote:
Letterman first off can I tell you that I was freaking happy that she was going to perform Walk Way . I really want the voters to hear a different side to her voice even though they receive albums from the nominees. Anyway, here I am thinking that once they here this they will go grab their ballots and mark Christina and then I went to the Grammy site and saw this.
Same here...I liked the interview which focused only on her and her performance was off the hook too. I agree w/ the over riffing but if that's one song she's allowed to do it on, then it's that one. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I miss her piercings, but I'm thinking if she wants to go more R&B on her next album, then that's why she did it.

Next up....All-Star Game. 2 things I love together. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ 01-20-2004: Message edited M_J_23 ]
Old 01-21-2004, 09:20 AM
Addicted Fan

Nail in the Coffin was when Justin start to hang with Christina and have pictures taken of it. You know the number one rule when it comes to NSYNC and female singers. If it’s not Britney we don’t like. [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]

Eve I wonder if it was a personal thing or not? I am not so sure about the labels interfering when it comes to that. However, I think Eve’s just might have a better meaning to it, if you listen to the lyrics of CHUD it’s more of an empowerment and I can see Eve throwing some dangerous lyrics for this. When you hear Kim it just seems rush to me. Sorry!

Pat I do agree with you about the vocals if you haven’t check out Joss Stone the girl has major vocals and if Christina went that way I wouldn’t be upset. I still think that she could bridge the pop and Latin together very nicely. This time when she goes in the studio I prefer her to have her band with her and let lose and control the riffing.

Do you think that the Grammy voters will vote different because of the negative press Christina has been receiving lately
Old 01-21-2004, 09:58 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:

Nail in the Coffin was when Justin start to hang with Christina and have pictures taken of it. You know the number one rule when it comes to NSYNC and female singers. If it’s not Britney we don’t like. [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]

Oh you got a point there, that's very true and I'm glad Justin was the one that took the first step. Not only were they photographed together at events/places but of course they went on tour together, did commercials together and photo-shoots. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Plus let me just say that unlike someone else, Christina doesn't or didn't need anybody to promote herself even more. She did it on her own and her own terms. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Quote:
I think Eve’s just might have a better meaning to it, if you listen to the lyrics of CHUD it’s more of an empowerment and I can see Eve throwing some dangerous lyrics for this. When you hear Kim it just seems rush to me. Sorry!
I don't think it was personal why Eve didn't do CHUD but I least hope it wasn't. Maybe it was schedule conflicts or something.

I agree that Eve's rapping on the song would be more unique and empowering...plus Kim's voice is low and weak. So that doesn't mesh well w/ Christina on that song.

Quote:
Do you think that the Grammy voters will vote different because of the negative press Christina has been receiving lately

Hmm on one side I see what your saying but then again when Christina won her 3rd Grammy for Lady Marmalade along w/ the other girls, she was getting bad press too. For the video, her outfit and bad clothing choices...yet she still won.

So hopefully Grammy voters overlook that and see her true talent. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-21-2004, 11:23 AM
Part-Time Fan

Best Song - I think Linda's biggest competition will come from Eminem. Its a toss-up, either could win. The dark horse will be Luther's track, which if it does win, will be a sympathetic vote.

Female Pop - Christina should definitely win this one.

Best Collaboration - I think Christina has a strong chance to win this one as well. However, it wouldn't surprise me if the voters went more conservative on this one and gave it to Bob Dylan or Tony Bennet. I'm surprised the Black Eye Peas w/JT didn't get a nod for this one, at least over Pink.

Best Pop Album - Personally I don't think JT's album is all that, I really only liked his first two singles. However, Justin had a really big year, so I wouldn't be surprised if he won. I think its a race between JT and Christina, but then again I didn't listen to any of the other nominees.

Some of Christina's bad press might hurt her, as well as the fact that she chose to release "Dirrty" as the first single. Hopefully, voters won't let that sway their decision and just focus on the body of work.
VM fan for life!! Vanessa Marcil & Viggo Mortensen
I love MY NEW YORK YANKEES!!