Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2006, 11:44 PM
Elite Fan

In Your Opinion: Best/Worst Casting Decisions

The titles says it all! I'll go first...

Bad:
-Nicole Kidman as Ada Monroe in Cold Mountain. I never felt she was right for this. She looked misplaced.

Good:
-Catherine Zeta-Jones as Velma Kelly in Chicago. She stole the movie, she killed that role. She was dazzling..... She was perfect for Velma. Her voice was strong, the dancing was terrific, etc, etc...
Old 08-10-2006, 12:04 AM
Fan Forum Star

The three Harry Potter trio: Dan, Emma, and Rupert. I think they did a great job at casting these three to play Harry, Hermione and Ron.

I will have to get back to you later on who I think are the worst.
My LJ
AutumnColorsღ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:35 AM
Supreme Fan

Good: Catherine Zita Jones in Chicago, definitely
Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow (come on, you know it's true)
Hugh Grant in About A Boy. He was absolutely perfect for that role.

Bad: For now I'll just say Renée Zellweger in Chicago. She just didn't do it for me.
Missy livejournal l twitter
missy7280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 01:21 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Bad: Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane. She just didn't do justice with the role.

Good: Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow, yeah baby!
Also Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger in Brokeback Mountain.
HappySquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 02:57 AM
Master Fan

Good:
Johnny Depp in POTC - nobody else could play Jack.
Christian Bale in Batman Begins - Christian did an amazing job in this, he looked the part and really brought the franchise back
Clive Owen in Closer - Best actor in this film
Keanu Reeves in The Matrix - as Johnny in POTC

Bad:
Katie Holmes in Batman Begins - she was the one bad thing about the film
Lindsay Lohan in anything - cant stand her, sorry.
-Louise- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:53 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy7280

Bad: For now I'll just say Renée Zellweger in Chicago. She just didn't do it for me.
Totally! I was going to say her but I was falling asleep so I kept it short. Her voice was okay and at first I loved her but the more I watched the movie the more I felt she was going through the motions. She really was dead, she didn't work. But thank God for Catherine. She was a star!
Old 08-10-2006, 05:11 AM
Absolute Fan

Good - Obviously Johnny Depp in POTC.

Bad - Katie Holmes is Thank You For Smoking. She can't really pull of that role.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:40 PM
Banned

Good - Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow in POTC, Edward Scissorhands, Willy Wonka, and Ed Wood
Christian Bale as Batman in Batman Begins, he was perfect as the Dark Knight
Tom Cruise as Vincent in Collateral, he was great as psychotic hitman
Christian Haydensen as Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker
Sarah Michelle Gellar as Daphne in Scooby Doo, the movies weren't Oscar calibur but Sarah did a good job as Daphne

Bad - Jude Law in Cold Mountain and any other movie in which he has had a Southern accent
Collin Farrell as Sonny Crocket in Miami Vice
Jacob1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:25 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Louise-
Good:
Johnny Depp in POTC - nobody else could play Jack.
Christian Bale in Batman Begins - Christian did an amazing job in this, he looked the part and really brought the franchise back
Clive Owen in Closer - Best actor in this film

Bad:
Katie Holmes in Batman Begins - she was the one bad thing about the film
Complete agreement from me.

I would actually expand the good to the entire cast of Pirates of the Caribbean. Johnny Depp is obviously untouchable. Geoffrey Rush, Keira Knightley, and Orlando Bloom were fantastic choices as well.

Christian is Bruce Wayne/Batman. He has the look, the presence/charisma, the ass-kicking skills, the talent, etc. Kinda bothers me when people complain about his casting simply because they don't like his Batman voice, which is part of the character.

I think all four leads in Closer were perfect, despite my dislike for the movie.

I think Katie Holmes in any film is bad casting. She just hasn't shown she has what it takes in Batman Begins, Abandon, or Disturbing Behavior. She was good only on Dawson's Creek.
BabyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Fan Forum Star

Oh I totally agree on Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow, also thought he did a great job as Ed Wood in Ed Wood.
My LJ
AutumnColorsღ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 02:50 AM
Master Fan

I think that the most inspirid casting decision was Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Prior to that film I wasn't a fan of his, but ESOTSM had a huge impact on me - a major part of it was that Jim Carrey got his delivery absolutely spot on with the mix of sad-sack and loveable. You could tell why Kate Winslet's character fell for him, but got fed up with him...it was a totally new side to him, I couldn't believe it. I don't think he gets enough credit!

I'm not sure about bad casting as yet, I'll get back to you when I do think of someone
Old 08-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Fan Forum Star

The best casting I've ever seen was, I think, The Da Vinci Code. The movie had a lot of flaws, mainly because they allocated Sophie's brain to Robert Langdon instead of letting her be the smart woman she is, but when I saw it, it was like the characters had stepped out of the book and onto the screen. Given the givens, every single player was pitch-perfect.

The worst... Kate Bosworth and Katie Holmes in just about anything, I think. But that's not so much a casting problem as it is the fact that they're allowed to have any film parts at all... oooh, that was harsh. I don't mean either one of them actual flames, I just think they should have both stuck to TV (and, in the latter case, sanity).
sunnykerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:14 PM
Elite Fan

Jim Carrey in The Number 23. It didn't work at all. The movie was bad, but maybe with another lead, it could've been a little better. I love Jim Carrey and the last 20 minutes were really well acted, but overall, this wasn't his character.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:44 PM
Obsessed Fan

Best Casting:
-Jennifer in Dreamgirls. She came and made an iconic musical chracter her own. She was flawless.
-Halle Berry in Monster's Ball. There were some other big name actresses that were considered for that but i think none could've pulled it off like her
-Bette Midler in..everything she does. i can watch her in anything lol.

Those are the 1s i can think of right now..not sure about bad casting yet
Old 04-03-2007, 09:54 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAtHeart (View Post)
-Bette Midler in..everything she does. i can watch her in anything lol.
It's not a big movie or anything but she was PERFECT for Hocus Pocus. That was one piece of flawless casting.