Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2004, 01:31 AM
Passionate Fan

Who are the most underrated actors?

I think that there are a lot of actors and actresses out there who have really great potential, but have a habit of choosing the wrong roles for themselves, and, consequently, don't get the proper credit due. I thought it would be interesting to discuss who we think should get more recognition in their acting careers.

That said, please don't bash any other's opinions, or say inappropriate things about the actors mentioned. Apparantly there have been similiar threads that caused a problem because people couldn't disagree respectfully, so I just want to make sure no one gets upset about it Thanks.

So, proceed!

One that comes to mind is Tim Roth. I've only seen a few films with him in it, but I think he's a really wonderful actor. I wish I got to see him in more roles! I really enjoyed his performance in Reservoir Dogs

Also, someone had mentioned Charlize Theron and her portrayal of Aileen Wuornos in Monster, which I think finally changed things for her. She was truly wonderful in that, and since she never really had any outstanding roles offered to her, I don't think people ever really got to see how much of a powerful performance she can give (I forget who said this, please let me know!)

Matthew McConaughey is another; I LOVED him in Contact, I thought he was great. But again, he does a lot of not-so-good movies that people would probably dismiss, and then not get to see how much he is capable of.

I also think that in a lot of cases, Jim Carrey (as popular as he is) is completely underrated as anything outside of a comedic actor. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and The Truman Show are just a few that totally changed my view of him, and he's been snubbed an Oscar too many times (well, we don't about ESOTSM yet). He deserves acknowledgement for his serious work too.

Who would you say is underrated?
Ambular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 01:54 AM
Addicted Fan

I definitely agree on the Jim Carrey one. People think he's overrated because he's a household name, but he doesn't get enough credit as a serious actor. He is very versatile.

I think Renee Zelleweger is underrated. That girl goes the extra mile to play a part and that's what I call an actress.

The big one for me is Milla Jovovich. People only know her for her kick ass female roles but when it comes to drama, that girl can act her zombie kicking butt off.
as I watch the walls descend
as I watch the walls descend like stars
SweetLisaLisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 01:56 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by eruvue

I think Renee Zelleweger is underrated. That girl goes the extra mile to play a part and that's what I call an actress.
Yes, and Christian Bale, too. Both totally transform themselves physically to become their characters, and that deserves recognition!
Old 11-19-2004, 02:00 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Ambular
Yes, and Christian Bale, too. Both totally transform themselves physically to become their characters, and that deserves recognition!
Oh yeah! Definitely a Christian Bale fan.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:23 AM
Moderator Support Team

Re: Who are the most underrated actors?

Quote:
Also, someone had mentioned Charlize Theron and her portrayal of Aileen Wuornos in Monster, which I think finally changed things for her. She was truly wonderful in that, and since she never really had any outstanding roles offered to her, I don't think people ever really got to see how much of a powerful performance she can give (I forget who said this, please let me know!)
Ahem. Meeeeee!!!!!!!
Quarterley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 05:02 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Oh, god, yes. I really don't know what happened to him after so many great performances. My personal favorite of his would have to be as Patrick Batemen. I fell inlove with the psycho.

Er...
Steve Buscemi
Bruce Willis
Thora Birch

Til further notice
I'm in between
From where I'm standing
My grass is green
Princess Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 05:06 AM
Passionate Fan

I'm sorry Cin Ya know I love you.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:06 AM
Loyal Fan

Don Cheadle is one of my favorite supporting actors. He's one of the actors who seems very different from one role to another, so he doesn't get remembered as well as he should.

I first enjoyed his performance in "Devil in a Blue Dress." I also liked him in "Swordfish" and "Volcano".

Vincent D'Onofrio is another actor who blends in with his roles really well. He gets more recognition now because he stars in L&O:CI. But try to see any trace of Goren in Stuart's wastoid brother Donnie in "Stuart Saves His Family." He was also really funny in his tiny role as Orson Welles in "Ed Wood."
pixiedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 05:58 AM
Addicted Fan

Don Cheadle is amazing. Everytime I see a movie with him in it, he's playing a completely different type of character.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:15 AM
Part-Time Fan

Julie Benz, a wonderful actress, I recommend you see her in one of the movies shes in or watch Angel, the series

Jessica Cauffiel is so funny! I love her in the roles she plays, shes in quite a few well known films so look out for her

Majandra Delfino, very talented actress.

Those are all I can think of but tell me what you think of them
Old 11-19-2004, 01:34 PM
Supreme Fan

I happen to think that the entire cast of Boogie Nights is underrated, except for Mark Wahlberg, who I feel is overrated.

Most especially, though, Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Julianne Moore. And of course, Don Cheadle.
*Maria* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 01:53 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by pixiedude
Don Cheadle is one of my favorite supporting actors. He's one of the actors who seems very different from one role to another, so he doesn't get remembered as well as he should.

Vincent D'Onofrio is another actor who blends in with his roles really well. He gets more recognition now because he stars in L&O:CI. But try to see any trace of Goren in Stuart's wastoid brother Donnie in "Stuart Saves His Family." He was also really funny in his tiny role as Orson Welles in "Ed Wood."
Yes, good choices! I liked Don Cheadle inTraffic, too. And this Hotel Rwanda (which, hasn't come out yet, right?) is already getting an Oscar buzz for his performance.

I LOVE Vincent D'Onfrio, ever since he was Gomer Pyle If you haven't seen The Player, I definitely recommend it! He is a disgruntled screenwriter who may-or-may-not be threatening to kill this Hollywood producer..You won't even recognize him! Great movie.

I also enjoyed him in Law & Order SVU, too.

Another actor I had in mind is Billy Crudup .. I thought he was excellent in Almost Famous! And he has minor parts in Sleepers, but I was impressed there too. I wish he got offered more roles!
Old 11-19-2004, 03:24 PM
Fan Forum Star

Sean Bean is definately better than the sum of his parts (in films). Oh and Simon Pegg is brilliant.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:20 PM
Part-Time Fan

Azura Skye, she is breathwaking in some of her performances!
Old 11-19-2004, 07:01 PM
Total Fan

Quote:

Another actor I had in mind is Billy Crudup .. I thought he was excellent in Almost Famous! And he has minor parts in Sleepers, but I was impressed there too. I wish he got offered more roles!
I imediately thought of him when I saw the subject of the thread. He was also brilliant in Big Fish, I was giddy when I learnt he played a part in that movie.

I am a fool for distraction.
HornyCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread