Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2019, 04:15 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

HORROR/COMEDY - Hot Fuzz (2007)

+ What did you like best about the movie? Why?

The parody take on THE WICKER MAN, but how convincing all of the actors were in being scary - particularly the older generation, such as Edward Woodward and Timothy Dalton, who were not known for playing bad guys until this point.

+ What did you like least about the film? Why?

Cannot think of a flaw with this movie, but if I had to be completely nick-picky, I would've liked to have seen Cate Blanchett's character who dated Nicholas Angel (Simon Pegg) in the beginning of the movie, return at a later stage and try to win him back and see how he handles that.

+ Who was your favorite character in the movie? Why?

The two Andys (played by Rafe Spall and Paddy Considine) were brilliant together. One of the best movie duo acts of all time.

+ Who was your least favorite character in the film? Why?

Nicholas Angel. Unbelievably strong, intuitive, brave and selfless. He follows his convictions even when people lack faith in him. A movie hero for our times

+ Comments:

My favorite movie in the Cornetto trilogy of Pegg/Frost/Wright combinations. It is entertaining from start to finish and surprisingly moving for a horror/comedy.

+ What would you rate this movie out of 5 stars?

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Crystal Clear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 03:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

HORROR/MYSTERY - Sinister (2007)

The opening scene is one of the scariest all-time, next to THE RING.

Really sets the tone for the rest of film -- the mystery of what happens to these families.

Also, the soundtracks in the flashbacks of the death scenes on tape are terrifying.

The end feels kind of rushed. Effective, but quick.

Plus, the attitude of Ethan Hawke's character gets more and more irritating. His desire to block out shock and guilt with alcohol is infuriating.

I would say his long-suffering wife who is very sympathetic and stands up to him when he just won't leave the case alone despite how bad things get.

All of the killer kids. The horrible ways in which they kill their families as part of the ritual are sickening

+ Comments:

Some scenes in this will stay in your mind for a long time. The flashbacks of the families' deaths are filmed so well, creepily with a great music score to add to the tension.

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 12-15-2019, 02:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

HISTORICAL/BIOGRAPHICAL - Borg vs McEnroe (2017)

The different stages of the players' lives shown, fitting pieces together of their backstories to lead up to their big Wimbledon final

The actor playing Borg strongly resembles him

There are parts making me wonder what McEnroe felt about the film... It highly suggests a deep envy there on his part towards Borg, and just presents him as very enraged whilst portraying Borg as a more centered and balanced person. Whether or not that's true, it seems to give a version of them that is more media-biased.

I feel as if we follow Borg's personal journey more, and his demons/struggles. So I would say him, and I felt strongly sympathetic for him in terms of his need to find someone who understands his passion for the sport.

I suppose Borg's dad, who seemed very unfair to Bjorn as a child.

+ Comments:

I like the drama aspect of it, it defied my expectations of a simple portrayal of two men fighting on the court. Good performances.

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 12-30-2019, 04:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

HISTORICAL/BIOGRAPHICAL - Waking The Titanic (2012)

A well-documented drama with interviews from real-life relatives, focusing specifically on a family of 14 from Aldergoole (Ireland) who planned to emigrate to America on the TITANIC ship in search for more prosperous lives. Very detailed and very emotional.

I don't have an answer to this, it was a well-made docudrama that paid full respect to both the victims and survivors of the tragedy in 1912.

It's a real-life documentation so I wouldn't call them characters. But the 3 survivors of the family were heroes in their own right. WHITE STAR LINE company treated them terribly in the aftermath of the tragedy. I was shocked by the revelations of how they tried to bribe / manipulate the sisters into keeping quiet about everything so that they wouldn't be sued.

WHITE STAR LINE company who Titanic set sail with, for the reasons stated in the answer above. They should have been held accountable as criminals for the way in which they treated the survivors.

+ Comments:

I watched it on Christmas day and 5 days later I am still moved by the memory of having watched it. A definite recommend for anyone who is interested in the history of TITANIC and wants to know about a specific family such as the Aldergoole 14 (11 of whom sadly perished)

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 01-04-2020, 06:37 PM
Fan Forum Star

Gwen - this needs to be updated for the new year
atwoodsmariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:12 AM
Extreme Fan

Is this still running? I'd like to participate!!
dh23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:45 AM
Fan Forum Star

we still need to update the list for the new year
atwoodsmariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 04:15 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

^ Sorry I was late with that! Done now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh23 (View Post)
Is this still running? I'd like to participate!!
Of course! Join in whenever you want, post a review any time you want using the template in the OP. The genres are listed in the first post of the thread.

Okay I'm watching Austin Powers (2nd movie) right now so I'll post my Comedy/Parody review later
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 02-28-2020, 10:38 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

COMEDY/PARODY - Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (1999)

A brilliant parody version of James Bond. The actors don't take themselves seriously yet they all do wonderful jobs. Everything is delightful if you're okay with non-PC jokes.

No answer to this, because I laughed pretty much constantly. (I guess it's worth pointing out that you NEED a sense of humor to enjoy these movies, they are NOT politically correct! )

Austin is just brilliant. He's dumb yet smart. Funny yet deep. A dork yet a winner with the ladies. Probably the best acted parody character ever in a film series.

Well done, Mike Myers

I suppose... Fat ... Not because he's bad (he's actually hilarious) but because he's gross. There's a scene where he's in bed with Heather Graham and... Yeah, gross.

+ Comments:

A great sequel, Mike Myers does a great job at playing 3 very different and very central characters, it really recreates the 1970's vibe well... And Seth Green back as Dr Evil's ignored son in a dispute with Mini Me is always wonderful.

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 02-28-2020, 11:01 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

COMEDY/PARODY - The Last Movie Star (1999)

It's not a comedy, but this movie feels like a wonderful parody of when an actor revisits (quite literally) his old movies and has a life-changing epiphany about it all. Clever use of CGI to insert the main character into scenes of Burt Reynolds' past roles.

The main girl had irritating moments. She just seemed starved for attention and spent a lot of the time complaining.

Vic is wonderfully real and thoughtful, and wonderfully played (in his last ever movie) by Burt Reynolds.

The main girl, for the reasons I stated above. She gets bearable in the last 15 minutes or so.

+ Comments:

An emotional examination of a man examining what happened to his movie career and visiting his old movie roles. It felt like a parody in many respects, but one that also took itself very seriously.

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 02-29-2020, 05:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

I watched 2 comedies starring Mila Kunis today, The Spy Who Dumped Me and A Bad Moms Christmas.

Won't do detailed reviews but will say in a nutshell that she gave charming performances in both, and the camera really captures her natural charisma. She has a confidence on screen that has been natural since her TV years as a teen. She had great friendship chemistry with Kristen Bell, Kate McKinnon and a nice spark with Justin Theroux, who she got to display kick-ass action talent with as a Spy Yay for teamwork!

Both movies well worth a watch.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 03-04-2020, 06:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

2020 invisible man saw that last weekend.
Having seen Hollow Man , Kevin bacon in 2000, which was more sexual and violent .
I like that Cecilia didn’t Believe her husband was dead , always looking over her shoulder.
Perhaps I watch too many movies, once we met the brother and strange stuff is happening, I always thought he was behind it all . Aldis hodge , I knew best from TV show leverage, most recently showtimes city on a Hill. Him as a single dad also a police detective .
The fight scenes with the invisible Man were really well done.
The final payoff was very well done
Old 03-05-2020, 03:31 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

^ Thanks for the review! Nice to see a Hollow Man reference, that's probably my favorite Kevin Bacon film along with Stir of Echoes

We're in March now, so the genre for Movie Watch is ROMANCE

Sub-genres are: Fantasy | History | Thriller | Drama

So if you manage to watch a Romance movie this month (of any of the above mixed genres) then feel free to share your thoughts & reviews with us in here!
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 03-24-2020, 04:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

ROMANCE/DRAMA - Random Harvest (1942)

The tender handling of a man who has lost his memory after returning from the War and a woman who instead of taking pity on him or laughing at him, gives warmth and comfort to him and tries to build a life with him instead of taking advantage of him. As unrealistic as the plot feels at various times, it is very heartwarming.

The ending was just far too convenient for my taste. Plus, Kitty's ~epiphany~ that he still loved a woman from his past was handled way too quickly.

Charles has to deal with so much in this film, both as himself and as 'Smithy'... Mostly not remembering who he is or who he's supposed to be with, and it's so tenderly portrayed and written whilst you never feel that the character is overwritten because it's highly realistic that someone during War times would experience such a devastating case of PTSD either through an accident or through emotional trauma.

Okay I adored Paula for most of the movie, but I have to admit that when it's revealed she came back and worked as a secretary for Charles all as a way to keep an eye on her beloved ex-husband, it felt too invasive of his privacy for my liking. He couldn't remember her, through no fault of his own... And yet she makes it clear to her doctor that she keeps hoping he will recognize her. It just seems too pushy to me, and I do wonder if it's why he can never fully move on with Kitty.

+ Comments:

A very well acted and written romantic drama, covering a huge period of time in which various traumatic events happen to this one man who spends the majority of time in a major identity crisis.

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 03-24-2020, 11:50 PM
Extreme Fan

THE DATER'S HANDBOOK (2016)

Quote:
Cass is a successful businesswoman who appears unsuccessful in her personal life and decides to try out "The Dater's Handbook" at her sister's insistence. She ends up dating several guys to test the process... before she finds The One.

+ What did you like best about the movie? Why? Well, it was just really cute, sweet, and romantic. I liked seeing Meghan Markle before she was Princess Meghan Markle. She's completely adorable and I'm kind of sad she's not acting anymore because she's great! The movie ended up the way it was supposed to -- a happily ever after makes me happy! Hallmark movies can be generic and even cheesy, but this one had extra oomph! for some reason.

+ What did you like least about the film? Why? Just some of the dumb things Cass did. I also felt sad when she broke both of her suitors' hearts at varying points in the movie because of her indecisiveness. She should have been honest about her feelings... though there would be no plot, of course, if she had been.

+ Who was your favorite character in the movie? Why? I'd like to say Cass but Robert. Definitely Robert. What a cutie pie. He's my idea of the 'perfect man'. (I wish guys like him existed in reality! lol)

Ugh. Peter. Double ugh. He was the worst 'sorta' boyfriend ever. Inattentive, obnoxious, and just lame. I was so glad he exited the story early on. And of course, Dr. Susie was awful too, but I absolutely love the actress who portrayed her (Teryl Rothery).

+ Comments: It was such a fun little film. Check it out if you can. Don't let the "Hallmark" label scare you away.

+ What would you rate this movie out of 5 stars? A solid 4.
dh23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top