Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2004, 10:05 AM
Ultimate Fan

I love this movie. I also want to read the book.
I love the music by Air: "My Playground Love". I also adored Kirsten Dunst in the movie.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:09 AM
Master Fan

I had read the book for a very long time whan I first saw the movie. I haven't been disappointed. They were really great to my own point of view.
I like a lot Kirsten so choosing her for Lux's part wasn't a bad idea at all. She was amazing. But I still think the book has a much more psychological depth. Without the book and knowing the 'real' story maybe i wouldn't have liked it as much.

Each of these lives is the right one! Every path is the right path. Everything could have been everything else and it will have just as much meaning.
Sindaanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 11:41 PM
Addicted Fan

I thought the book was great. The movie wasn't that bad...it captured the who essence of the novel...but, too me, there's something about the book that makes it better. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] If you haven't read the book, you must. Because it's like the movie but so much more... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
xallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 05:15 PM
Loyal Fan

I loved The Virgin Suicides back when it came out. Heck, I still love it now. Lux is my favorite character, and my all time favorite line is at the begining of the movie: "You don't even know how bad life gets."
"Oviously doctor, you've never been a 13 year old girl."

-Kristi

icon by:Unknown
*Kristi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 02:21 PM
Passionate Fan

I've always wanted to read the book but I haven't yet. I love, love the movie. Sofia is a wonderful director and I thought Kirsten Dunst and AJ Cook were good in the film. It's still one of my favorites but my mom doesn't like me watching it because she thinks it's too depressing and I'm only fourteen (fifteen soon) but I love films like this. Good, independent films are a nice break away from the more mainstream, teenybopper comedies about love that I get suckered into seeing with my friends.
konstantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 07:38 PM
Master Fan

I own the book, love it. Sofia Coppola's movie is brilliant as well. She captures the mood and tone of the book really well. I thought Kirsten, James, Josh, and A.J. were well cast. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
i got stuck on the side you know i never chose
but it's all about taking the easy way out for you i suppose
*Shannon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 07:38 AM
Ultimate Fan

I wish I could read the book, but I can't afford books right now. Maybe I'll find it in my library.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sindaanca:
<STRONG>I like a lot Kirsten so choosing her for Lux's part wasn't a bad idea at all. She was amazing.</STRONG>
Me too. I always though Kirsten Dunst was a good actress and she did a great job as Lux.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:26 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I really loved this movie and even bought the book too it. While it was hard to watch sometimes, it's a powerful movie that I don't mind seeing again and again.

I have to agree that after watching it I felt like this hopeless feeling for a couple of days. But Sofia Coppola did a wonderful job w/ this movie.

Phébé la Frenchie, please post a link to your Cecilia fic. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-27-2004, 05:19 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by M_J_23:
<STRONG>But Sofia Coppola did a wonderful job w/ this movie.</STRONG>
She had a great debut movie. I think it might be one of the best first works in the american cinema of the 90's.
I also loved her second film.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:57 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by xallyx:
<STRONG>The movie wasn't that bad...it captured the who essence of the novel...but, too me, there's something about the book that makes it better. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] </STRONG>
I think the only time the movie was better than the book was Wonder Boys. I mean, in that case, the movie seemed good but like the book would be so much quirkier...but it wasn't. Movie was better [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Anyways, back on topic! I think the movie is really great and very sad. It does justice to the book most definitely but as always - I think those who loved the movie should read the book.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:51 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by M_J_23:
<STRONG>
Phébé la Frenchie, please post a link to your Cecilia fic. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]</STRONG>
Cool. Here it is.

Keep in mind I wrote it like a year ago. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Oh, and feel free to review it. *hint hint* [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ 04-28-2004: Message edited Phébé la Frenchie ]
Old 04-29-2004, 02:07 PM
New Fan

The Virgin Suicides is a great movie, but I personally feel it could have been a lot heavier and grabbed more emotion than it did.

Now, part of this not happening falls on Eugenides' shoulders, because since he chose the 3rd person observing POV, you don't get the emotions of the people you'd REALLY like to see them from, which is to say the parents, specifically the dad, and perhaps a little more from the girls.

There should have been more background (both in the book and movie) about their treatment at the house, because it didn't seem quite so bad that they would all kill themselves. However, I suspend this opinion because I think it's possible that Eugenides goal was to have the Lisbon sisters seem almost ethereal, which I feel was definitely acheived.

Anyways. Yes. It's a good movie. Sorry for the essay, it's the film student in me.
Sin Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 10:59 PM
Addicted Fan

I felt the reason it *was* so compelling was that it was from a outside POV. I felt that it would have been lessened if it were told from a more personal POV. Become stereotypical teenage angst. I should know. 'Tis my life. *g*

I really liked this movie. Unlike others I wasn't put off by the actual suicides. The girls were otherworldly. That was what carried the movie. They didn't seem completely real.

I've read the book and found it fascinating. Most stories like that are told from a more personal POV and while some are compelling they don't *stick* with you like this one did. I even tried my own hand at it. Wrote a story based on a father's perspective of his daughter's suicide attempt. Eh. Turned out all right.

Gabrielle

[ 04-30-2004: Message edited Cold-Blooded Piece of Toast ]
Old 04-30-2004, 11:05 PM
New Fan

I loved this movie. I saw a long time ago, in the theaters. My favorite character was Lux, although I liked Cecilia too.

I thought all the actors were good. This is the movie that made me Kirsten Dunst fan. I thought she was amazing. And Josh Hartnett was great too.
Amber Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 05:31 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sin Panda:
<STRONG>The Virgin Suicides is a great movie, but I personally feel it could have been a lot heavier and grabbed more emotion than it did.
.</STRONG>
ITA. I really enjoyed the film but it missed something. I should have had screamed, and cry... but I didn't.
The actresses were indredibles ! Kristin Dust is fantastic !!
Andalusia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread