Transformers Series #1

Last edited by Mi||iê Måë; 02-17-2015 at 07:24 PM
Old 07-15-2007, 07:41 PM
Elite Fan

Update:

Latest numbers for Transformers since in it's 13 days at the boxoffice:
$223 million domestic take
$320 worldwide take
Putting it at #4 for overall boxoffice in the US for the year so far.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:10 PM
Banned

Back to the writing, this movie is not suppose to be a piece of literary art. The movie is suppose to entertain and excite people. And that is what Transformers does.

And Sam made a conscious choice to change. He didn't have to do all of those things in the movie. He wasn't forced to be a hero. He chose to be a hero.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:21 PM
Addicted Fan

I wouldn't call him a geeky loser, maybe a bumbling fool? He had drive and ambition in him from the start. He didn't get rattled during his presentation, negotiated an A, and was aggressive throughout the movie. He was just slight of build compared to the idiot with the 22's.

Some of the lines and plotties were weak and out of place. Anything unrelated to the action was very loosely thrown together. I don't mind that at all. All that stuff made me laugh or drool.
R.I.P. #21 Sean Taylor
Old 07-16-2007, 06:54 AM
Obsessed Fan

The problem I had with the script was it was far too light for the subject matter. Even if it is about giant alien robots who transform into vehicles. A lot of the humor seemed forced and wasn't necessary.

Like the scene where the transformers are hiding from Sam's parents. And his mom asks if he was masturbating? Come on. That wasn't even remotely funny and it was blatant pandering to the target audience (teens).

Like I said, there is nothing wrong with eye candy movies.

But they get to a point where that is all they are... Like Transformers... And you (people in general) really can't defend them like a lot of people are.

If we look at TF objectively it is on par with the other big spectacles released this summer like Spider Man III and Pirates III. That is, all flash and no substance. Average to mediocre movies (stories) at best. At least TF doesn't take itself too seriously unlike SM and Pirates. That would have been too much.

Transformers is making money, no doubt. But that doesn't mean it is a good movie, unfortunately. I give the movie credit for being another milestone in visual effects because the CGI is superb and has raised the bar like "Matrix" and "JP" did back in their day. But that's about it if we're going to be brutally honest about TF's artistic merit.

The real telling will be how long TF stays in the top slot as there is now real competition for it in the form of Harry Potter, The Bourne Ultimatum and other movies coming out at the end of the summer. Also, I want to know the initial drop off from this weekend as this will have been the second official weekend TF has been out since the July 3rd release now that HP is out and going strong.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:10 AM
Extreme Fan

Transformer was the best movie ive seen in a while!
Old 07-16-2007, 12:05 PM
Banned

Why does the script have to be scrutinized? Can't it just be said that Transformers is the best movie of this summer?
Old 07-16-2007, 12:20 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob1983 (View Post)
Why does the script have to be scrutinized? Can't it just be said that Transformers is the best movie of this summer?
I don't know, people just can't go and see a movie and say, "Oh, I liked it." because they have to examine everything.

It's simple. Did you enjoy yourself? Yes or no.

and in my dreams you're alive and you're crying,

and your mouth moves in mine, soft and sweet.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:38 PM
Loyal Fan

I agree with UM to an extent, especially with the logic that making money doesn't make it a good movie. And sure, the story was lacking or simplistic and all that (and the acting was relatively atrocious), but really, you don't expect a whole lot whenever Michael Bay is involved.

The man is the king of flash, explosions and no substance. I mean, you know what happens when he does try working in a story... Pearl Harbor, anyone?

As far as the movie goes, it's definitely one of those movies of the "leave your brains at the door, or preferably at home" variety. I wasn't a huge fan of the cartoons or toys growing up, yet even the nerdy side came out when Optimus appeared.

I'm normally no fan of Bay's , but this one was at least enjoyable.

The only real disappointment was that they didn't play the original theme song at the end the way the first Spider-man did (at least, I don't remember it did), especially since I waited until the end of the credits for it.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:30 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie (View Post)
As far as the movie goes, it's definitely one of those movies of the "leave your brains at the door, or preferably at home" variety.
I like those, gets me away from RL. Seeing most of the summer movies, i like going to distract myself for a couple hours and be entertained. TF was damn entertaining. I don't see why some people are TOO critical of the movie or too THIS PWNZ ALL TIME M0V13ZZZ cuz it doesn't. I spend too much time on the IMDB forums.
R.I.P. #21 Sean Taylor
Old 07-16-2007, 07:13 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I know! for real!

Quote:
It's simple. Did you enjoy yourself? Yes or no.
Exactly! And my answer: Hell Yes.

Quote:
Seeing most of the summer movies, i like going to distract myself for a couple hours and be entertained. TF was damn entertaining. I don't see why some people are TOO critical of the movie or too THIS PWNZ ALL TIME M0V13ZZZ cuz it doesn't. I spend too much time on the IMDB forums.
I know. I thought it was way better than most of the other summer "blockbusters", but its not the best movie ever.
It was fun, entertaining and I enjoyed myself. Great Summer Movie. The End.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:30 PM
Absolute Fan

I'm not usually a fan of mindless summer movies, but I was really entertained by Transformers. I only paid money to see it because my friend wanted to go and I liked it so much more than I thought I would. Even some of the weaknesses of the film, I just sort of forgave it because I just had a fun time in the theater.

I'm not a fan of Michael Bay, I don't necessarily hate him either, but I was pretty excited for the majority of the movie. And that's really all I needed from it (as silly as that sounds). The cliche action movie things (boy gets girl, etc.) and the lack of character development...all that...I didn't have a huge problem with.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:31 PM
Banned

I think a lot of people who bash Transformers were never fans of the cartoon or the toys. I will admit that I liked the cartoon and played with the toys when I was younger. I guess it makes me biased.
Transformers is just a movie that entertains you. It's not suppose to win Best Picture or Best Screenplay. The movie is about robots fighting each other in an end of the world type of scenario. It's about the battle between good and evil.
Transformers is not a movie that should be analzyed and picked apart. It's a popcorn movie.

And Michael Bay makes action movies. His movies have car explosions, buildings blowing up or falling down, cars tipping over, planes in the sky over the horizon, guns being fired, etc...
Old 07-17-2007, 01:28 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsilentMajorty (View Post)
Also, I want to know the initial drop off from this weekend as this will have been the second official weekend TF has been out since the July 3rd release now that HP is out and going strong.
Transformers dropped 49%.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:17 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Transformers is not a movie that should be analzyed and picked apart. It's a popcorn movie.
But it's not even a remotely well-done, or well-written popcorn movie. That's the difference, IMO.

Here is a question:

Do you (people in general) think TF should have been written more for people in their 30s and 40s since THEY are the ones who are bringing their kids to see the film and are the ones who are the real fans having actually grown up with TF?

I think this is a big part of what is going to cause TF to fall off over the next few weeks. Look at HP. The reason HP does so well isn't just because of the huge following JK Rolling has with the books. HP is the current generations "Star Wars" or even TF. Most of the current target audience (kids/teens) whom the TF is written for was not even physically alive. I find this part ironic... But again, the way TF might fall off in the coming weeks is proof of this.

Quote:
And Michael Bay makes action movies. His movies have car explosions, buildings blowing up or falling down, cars tipping over, planes in the sky over the horizon, guns being fired, etc...
So? Because of these things we should just never question why a movie can't be both intellectually stimulating AND entertaining?

This is why I asked if perhaps TF should have been written more with adults in mind vs. teens.

This is the problem with movies in America, right now. It's either one, or the other. Movies from other countries (UK; Asia; Europe) don't have a problem with the audience having to engage their brains while at the same time being entertained with eye-candy.

This is what I think bugs me most about movies like TF and all the other blockbusters. Hollywood assumes the target audience is dumb. I find this insulting. Like I said, imports that have both action AND intellect do exist, but you have to look much harder for them.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread