Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2013, 10:09 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Video Games

I loved Smallville, and I thought Routh was a good Superman- but he was just in a bad superman movie.

to each his own
Old 06-14-2013, 10:42 PM
Elite Fan

They were good, just not great IMO.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:36 AM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Video Games

I'd say that Henry brought out the most emotional performance I've seen in a Superman story in a long, long time.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:17 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ring of fire (View Post)
I sent you a pm
"THANK YOU! RING OF FIRE!!!" D.V.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:10 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subject87 (View Post)
I'm not a huge Superman fan, in fact Smallville was the first Superman related story I really liked.

That being said, I loved this movie- I thought everything was top notch.

I really hope this launches the DC cinematic universe.

I'm also betting Lex Luthor will be the villain in MoS 2
My boyfriend has always disliked Superman and this movie made him a fan Also my best friend wasn't really a Superman fan (she only liked Smallville for the first two seasons) but this movie made her appreciate the character.

I hope Lex is in the next movie but there needs to be another villain (maybe Brainiac or Doomsday). Also I hope this time they cast someone who is more close to Clark's age like in the comics and they try to make the audience understand why Lex sees Superman as a threat.

Quote:
I loved Smallville, and I thought Routh was a good Superman- but he was just in a bad superman movie.

to each his own
I think Smallville had its moments and I loved how some things were portrayed but I think the show suffered from being a TV show in a teen orientated network (especially in the moment it started airing).
Also I got annoyed at all the constant love drama and "monster of the week" storylines but I think the show had some great things.

Routh wasn't really that bad. I think he looked the part. Maybe he wasn't a great actor but I don't think he was the real problem in Superman Returns. I think that movie suffered from a poor script and too much nostalgia.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:05 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Video Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by ring of fire (View Post)
My boyfriend has always disliked Superman and this movie made him a fan Also my best friend wasn't really a Superman fan (she only liked Smallville for the first two seasons) but this movie made her appreciate the character.

I hope Lex is in the next movie but there needs to be another villain (maybe Brainiac or Doomsday). Also I hope this time they cast someone who is more close to Clark's age like in the comics and they try to make the audience understand why Lex sees Superman as a threat.

I think Smallville had its moments and I loved how some things were portrayed but I think the show suffered from being a TV show in a teen orientated network (especially in the moment it started airing).
Also I got annoyed at all the constant love drama and "monster of the week" storylines but I think the show had some great things.

Routh wasn't really that bad. I think he looked the part. Maybe he wasn't a great actor but I don't think he was the real problem in Superman Returns. I think that movie suffered from a poor script and too much nostalgia.
I think that Routh would have made an amazing Superman, he just got stuck with a poor script (as you said). I think part of the reason this movie is getting low reviews on Rotten Tomatos and such is because of Nostalgia, which is ridiculous.

Oh and, I just preordered Man of Steel at Walmart
Old 06-15-2013, 01:23 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I think that Routh would have made an amazing Superman, he just got stuck with a poor script (as you said). I think part of the reason this movie is getting low reviews on Rotten Tomatos and such is because of Nostalgia, which is ridiculous.

Oh and, I just preordered Man of Steel at Walmart
Great

I think the nostalgia thing is ridiculous. People can't expect this movie to be like the Christopher Reeves movies. This is 2013 and now there a lot of comic books they can use for the movies. For example this movie took some things from the comic book All Star Superman which was launched in 2005 and which was a very successful comic.

I stopped paying attention to RT back in 2006 when they gave an incredible ridiculous high score to Superman Returns when it opened. I don't think the movie was awful but it was pretty mediocre. I couldn't believe how much they praised it for it's story and script and I thought both were awful.

Sometimes I feel bad for Routh because he isn't a bad actor and I think SR hurt his career instead of helping it.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:27 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Video Games

Routh was amazing on Chuck, so I know he can act.

I kinda wish they'd given him a second chance as Superman but

I haven't really payed attention to Rotten Tomatos.. at all, it's just something I noticed while posting on IGN
Old 06-15-2013, 01:28 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Ann (View Post)
I was never a fan of Smallville.

Kevin Costner made a great comment about how Superman only works, if the actor casts works, and Henry works.

I didn't like Welling as Superman, or Brandon Routh, but I like Henry. Not to say they are bad actors, just not in the role for SM for me.

ETA:

Clips of Henry and cast from Katie:
I have to agree with you on that Melissa, Routh and Welling does not possess enough talent to do Superman justice, they didn't just get stuck with bad scripts and storylines imo

By the way, i just watched the movie earlier today and it totally rocked i'm still feeling all bubbly

Join: Sophie Turner, Brittany Snow and Daisy Ridley

#HoldTheDoor, Hodor
Old 06-15-2013, 01:44 PM
I am a basketball genius!

May be, but ''Smallville'' aired for a long time & ''Superman Returns'' made a ton of money, which is largely what making films is about. For whatever reason people are addicted to Superman movies & will see them in theaters no matter what, which is why I expect ''Man of Steel'' to be more successful at the box office than just about every other comic book film made. It would need to gross almost $400,000,00 to get in the top 5.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:46 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Video Games

Just my opinion but The Dark Knight was a far better movie.

I'm biased though, because Batman is my favorite comic book hero
Old 06-15-2013, 02:08 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDane1988 (View Post)
I have to agree with you on that Melissa, Routh and Welling does not possess enough talent to do Superman justice, they didn't just get stuck with bad scripts and storylines imo

By the way, i just watched the movie earlier today and it totally rocked i'm still feeling all bubbly
So lucky Lars! I hope to see it soon! So jealous right now!
Old 06-15-2013, 02:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Just my opinion but The Dark Knight was a far better movie.

I'm biased though, because Batman is my favorite comic book hero
I was honestly not that big a Batman fan until the Dark Knight trilogy, mostly because all the other theatrical renditions had been mediocre at best

But i absolutely loved the Dark Knight too

And just to clarify, i'm not a comic-book geek. I do know my way around the mythos' okay enough, but my opinions are mostly based on movies.

Join: Sophie Turner, Brittany Snow and Daisy Ridley

#HoldTheDoor, Hodor

Last edited by King of Cool; 06-15-2013 at 02:36 PM
Old 06-15-2013, 02:32 PM
Master Fan

Just saw this movie and I have to say as much of a Batman fan I am. This was better than The Dark Knight Rises but not better than The Dark Knight. I will say this movie tops the original. I liked Christopher Reeve films.

Henry nailed it as Superman. He is our Superman of this generation with all due respect to Welling and Routh fans.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:39 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
Video Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Survivor (View Post)
Just saw this movie and I have to say as much of a Batman fan I am. This was better than The Dark Knight Rises but not better than The Dark Knight. I will say this movie tops the original. I liked Christopher Reeve films.

Henry nailed it as Superman. He is our Superman of this generation with all due respect to Welling and Routh fans.
I can agree with this.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread