Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2004, 11:22 PM
Extreme Fan

I always felt that Renee Zellwegger's character in Jerry McGuire was pretty strong. So many women remain in unheathy and unloving relationships because they don't have the courage to put an end to what's going on. I loved Zellwegger's character in that movie, because she did that along with taking responsibility for the role she played in the demise of the relationship. Something that many of us rarely do.

I also thought Regina King, the lady who played Cuba Gooding Jr's wife in the movie, was a very strong woman.

And who can forget Ripley from Aliens. She was a wonderful character, who was smart and could kick some butt when need be.

[ 04-10-2004: Message edited ursa major ]

Experience the Legacy
ursa major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 01:43 AM
Obsessed Fan

Trinity: Simply living in the real world in The Matrix was a challenge. It took strong people to go into the matrix. I loved how strong Trinity was and how much a leader she was.

Hermione Granger: I love how brilliant she is. No one her age is as advanced as she is. She is way ahead of the class.
j-pop G&Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 10:39 AM
Master Fan

Stepmom - Julia Roberts for taking on the role of the Stepmother and trying to raise anthor woman's children, Susan Sarandon for facing her death with strength and courage and coming around to Julia and in the end doing the best for her children

The Banger Sisters - Goldie Hawn & Susan Sarandon's characters for living their lives they way they want & (almost) making no apologies for it.

Never Been Kissed - Drew Barrymore's character

Ever After - Drew Barrymore's version of Cinderella - smart and take charge

The Craft - all the main characters even the ones that were bad were take charge - especially the main character in the end

What's Love Got to Do With It? - Angela Bassett's version of Tina Turner

Waiting to Exhale - all the main characters

Soul Food - all the women who help take charge after Big Momma dies

G.I. Jane - Demi Moore's character making it through the Navy S.E.A.L.s training & fighting for her rights

Deliver Us From Eva - Gabrielle Union's character

Erin Brokovich - fighting for her clients rights and health & making the corporation stand up and take the blame & for not backing down

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Jessica Biel's character for fighting back and getting out alive

Scream - Neve Campbell's character

Enough - Jennifer Lopez's character for fighting back against her abusive husband and getting her daughter out of the situation

Underworld - Kate Beckinsale's vampire

tons more... lots of movies have strong female characters when you think about it.

"What we've got here is...failure to communicate"
Galaxia21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 02:00 PM
Passionate Fan

definitly Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With the Wind
"I'm just trying to be really considerate. I've never really done it before but I'm going to give it a shot. You know, I've seen it done and I've read about it so I'm going to try to be nice." ~Will, Big Brother 2
Maliejandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 10:22 PM
Elite Fan

Bridget Fonda's character in Point of No Return. She was so kick assish [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2004, 12:16 PM
Addicted Fan

A League Of Their Own - It showed that women can play baseball w/ heart, courage, and determination. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

"No matter what kind of day I am having butterflies will always help me cope."
AdriaMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 11:17 PM
Elite Fan

I think Mandy Moore's Jamie Sullivan in A Walk To Remember was strong and inspiring. Her faith, her undying will to love and live.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:23 AM
Total Fan

You can't forget Franka Potente in Run Lola Run as Lola. She saved the day
Jezebel In Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 06:40 PM
Master Fan

My favorite strong woman character is, by far, Scarlett O'Hara from Gone with the Wind. She was manipulative, conniving, rude, and spoiled, but she was also independent, spirited, passionate, and caring.
i got stuck on the side you know i never chose
but it's all about taking the easy way out for you i suppose
*Shannon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 02:54 AM
Fan Forum Star

The best example of a female character changing from a 'church mouse' to a hardened strong willed woman is Olivia de Havilland as Catherine Sloper in The Heiress .

Then I loved Joan Fontaine's potrayal of the second Mrs De Winter in the film Rebecca . She had to be strong to go up against the ghost/memory of her beloved husband's first wife.

Elizabeth Bennet from Pride & Prejudice (played by whoever) is one of the strongest and witty characters ever, in book or film.

The scene with Anna Magnani running behind the truck that is taking her beloved Francesco away by the Nazi's, and her character getting gunned down by them show's she has guts to spare. From the film Roma, Citt* Aperta .

I agree with James Cameron's strong female leads Ellen Ripley and Sarah Connor . Both kick major alien/cyborg butt.

But my favorite fiesty female lead is Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia .

"Will someone get this walking carpet outta my way!"

"I don't know who you are or where you came from, but from now on you do as I say!"

"You came here in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

"Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?"

"I'd just as sooner kiss a Wookie!"

"You low down scruffy looking nerf-herder!"
Old 01-06-2005, 03:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

When I saw this thread the first thing that came to mind was Steel Magnolias. Women are in the lead roles and they are all strong characters. I love that movie because of the strong friendships between the girls and the strong emotions expressed.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:34 PM
Addicted Fan

As soon as I saw the title of this topic, the first character that popped into my mind was Scarlett O'Hara from Gone With the Wind. In my opinion, the character of Scarlett really paved the way for other female characters to be strong and independent. During the historical period that the film is set during, it was uncommon for women to be involved or want anything other than a husband and some children, yet Scarlett manipulated men and bent them to her wishes. She proved more independent and self-reliant than most of her male counterparts in the movie, delivering a baby, pushing to save her plantation during and after the Civil War, plowing to feed and care for her family, manipulating men into loving and marrying her so she can pay taxes, and proving herself to be a better at dealing in business than most of the men around her. Despite being spoiled and whiny, Scarlett was hardworking, independent, passionate, and willing to go to any and all lengths to survive and to get what she wanted.
*Justine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 09:58 PM
Elite Fan

Fanny in Masfield Park - She was strong in so many ways, so many different times. Anyone else would've fallen through the cracks of a prejudiced society but she rose above.

This was one book that kept me awake at night. I couldn't stop reading. Then I watched the movie and really appreciated the adaptation. Fanny in the movie wasn't what I expected at all at first but after I got used to it, she was perfect.

Cassandra in I Capture the Castle - Very mature, very sweet. She was strong because the whole world seemed to be falling on her head but she stood still and took on the challenges.

The love for her sister and refusing to be a second choice show how strong she was. Never accepting a role that wasn't going to fit her pride and her heart.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:39 PM
Elite Fan

After seeing "Something New" I think Kenya is one of the strongest female characters I've ever seen in a Rom Com. She's bordering on unlikable but somehow Lathan manages to keep her head above water. Plus, when she falls in love her knees get weak and her roughness wears a bit. But just a bit.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:58 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKSTAR
After seeing "Something New" I think Kenya is one of the strongest female characters I've ever seen in a Rom Com. She's bordering on unlikable but somehow Lathan manages to keep her head above water. Plus, when she falls in love her knees get weak and her roughness wears a bit. But just a bit.
I like this choice.
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread