Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2005, 08:30 AM
Obsessed Fan

Star Wars Saga #1

Synopsis: After three long years of relentless fighting, the Clone Wars are nearly at an end. The Jedi Council dispatches Obi-Wan Kenobi to bring General Grievous, the deadly leader of the Separatist droid army, to justice. Meanwhile, back on Coruscant, Chancellor Palpatine has grown in power. His sweeping political changes transform the war-weary Republic into the mighty Galactic Empire. To his closest ally, Anakin Skywalker, he reveals the true nature of power and the promised secrets of the Force in an attempt to lure him to the dark side.

Synopsis courtesy of MovieWeb: Movie News, Movie Reviews, Movie Trailers, TV News, New Movies.

Unless you've been living under a rock for the last 30 years (1976-2006), and been able to block out the onslaught of marketing tie-inbs on TV, radio and the internet, then you know on May 19th, the last film of the highly fanatical frachise "Star Wars" will be released in which Anakin Skywalker (Hayden Christiensen) becomes the infamous Darth Vader and that serves as a bridge to the original trilogy of films (Star Wars; Empire Strikes Back; Return of th Jedi).

Various test screenings and exclusive previews for fans and critics alike have been giving RoTS mixed reviews... BUT, unlike the first two prequels, The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones, the one thing most of the reviews say is that the film is... GOOD -- Regardless of whether or not RoTS leaves you feeling "happy" or "sad" in terms of the film's overall storyline and execution.

This is positive news for long time SW fans like myself and others who literally grew up with the series and watched it evolve from sleeper hit to world wide cult phenomena.

Where will you be on May 19th (Thursday)?

Some more pictures courtesy of movieweb.com:

Last edited by ~ Jis_Bon ~; 04-18-2015 at 11:00 AM
Old 05-08-2005, 08:35 AM
Master Fan

Ooh - thanks for the new thread! I can't believe we hadn't started one yet... *smacks self*

Anyway - this is something I'm actually looking forward to even though I haven't seen (and won't see - can't handle polluting my purest Star Wars experience) Episodes 1 and 2. The reason is that I vividly remember discussing this particular story with my friends back in the late 70s early 80s, just as the second film was coming out.

We'd just gotten more information about the three trilogies and were so excited because Vadar was becoming more than just a villain - he was being fleshed-out as a full-fledged character with a story arc of his own, and it was titled, "Revenge of the Sith." All we knew was that it had something to do with (hidden spoiler - run cursor over text if you want to read) a volcano and that somehow he had turned evil /.

I can't believe that 23 or so years later the film's finally coming out... I'm actually excited and feeling like a fan girl again!

My LJ for Movies
Old 05-08-2005, 06:36 PM
Loyal Fan

Thanks for the thread, USM. The other two prequels are awful but I am very excited about this one.
AOTC and TPM were so bad that in recent years whenever I would tell people I was a SW fan, I would have to clarify that I meant the original, classic trilogy mainly. At least Ewan McGregor did a wonderful job of channeling Alec Guinness's performance.

Judy

icon credit: skje
Old 05-08-2005, 09:04 PM
Obsessed Fan

I am planning to see RotS opening night if I can get in the theater. I'm so excited for it, even though it's kind of sad that it's the end of Star Wars. It will be satisfying to finally see the bridge between the first two prequels and the original trilogy! I saw the trailer on the big screen today and it looked really good. I hope it lives up to my expectations since I grew up loving these movies.

Jen | tumblr
Old 05-09-2005, 12:42 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Omg, I can not wait to see this one!
Old 05-09-2005, 10:03 PM
Part-Time Fan

OMG, Padme has buns! I have a feeling there will be some chuckles in the theater over that one.

Anyway, highly anticipating this, I actually know far more than I wanted to about the plot, but I haven't spoiled myself TOO badly.

If nothing else the fighting will be a fun ride the first time through.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:07 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Omg, almost just 1 wk now!
Old 05-13-2005, 11:00 PM
Elite Fan

I was one of the people that didn't think Episodes I and II were "that bad". If you ever read in depth interviews with GL about those films, he'll explain the reasons behind them and why he made the films the way he did. Once you have that understanding and see all movies in a row think LOTR it's one story. Not 3 seperate movies. Unfortunately, GL didn't have the luxury to do them the way Peter Jackson did which we all agree, LOTR films were excellent and a huge success.

GL stated that episode one was about a young boy. Episode II was a love story. Episode III is the story of Anakin and turning from Jedi to the Darkside. All of the SW movies are ultimately focused on Anakin/Darth Vader, which when we only had the original trillogy we thought the story was about Luke/Leia...which now in the grander picture isn't the case.

OK, not to turn this into "discussion of episodes I and II" which this thread isn't...I'll just say that movie critics can go to hell, b/c this is the one movie the fans have been waiting for. It'll do well, really well at the box office. Despite attempts from the so called "critics" to give it bad press.

I say close to 350mil domestic and more internationally b/c the fans abroad are just as excited to see it. So that is the vindication for GL. Despite the press' opinion, the success of the film will be the only "recommendation" you'll need to add the film to your DVD library.

Alex

The Dark is generous, and it's patient, and it always wins - but in the heart of it's strength lies weakness; one lone candle is enough to hold it back.
Love is more than a candle.
Love can ignite the stars.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:12 AM
Absolute Fan

I can't wait for this movie I'm a huge star wars fan aready got my tickets for next weekend!
Old 05-14-2005, 01:08 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strifer
OK, not to turn this into "discussion of episodes I and II" which this thread isn't...I'll just say that movie critics can go to hell, b/c this is the one movie the fans have been waiting for. It'll do well, really well at the box office. Despite attempts from the so called "critics" to give it bad press.
The thing is though is that Episode I and II were so baddly recieved by not just critics, but long time fans as well that even if Episode III sucks... Which, thankfully, feedback from advanced screenings says that it does not... It would still make money if for the fact fans (and non-SW fans) would go to see just how bad it was just to gloat and or see it for themselves. Luckily, this supposedly won't be the case, but GL has to know that this one is going to be the most scrutinized of all the prequels simply because I and II set such a low mark (standard) that everyone is putting their expectations on this one to be better, right or wrong.

The sad fact is movies are now more about getting people into the theater even if the movie itself doesn't warrant it. Case in point: House of Wax. I haven't seen the movie, but a good portion of fans are going to see it just to watch Paris Hilton die more than because they are horror fans. The same is going to be true with Mr. and Mrs. Smith in regard to the gossip surrounding Angelina Jolie being the real reason for Brad Pitt's breakup with Jennifer Aniston. And in the long run, it doesn't matter because a ticket bought is a ticket bought and studios and the MPTAA (Motion Picture Theater Owners Association of America) could care less for the motives behind the public's wanting to see this movie over that.

I bring this phenomena up because A) It is becoming more common these days since a lot of the movies coming out aren't that great and B) it applies to the first SW prequels because they were so baddly recieved and this has put Episode III in the very position we're talking about seeing a movie based on its own merits vs. the hype surrounding the film and not the film itself.

Also, I believe that I and II are just bad movies. I think they are shallow, uninteresting and bascially one big CGI fest after another with very little story to either of them. In turn, I don't like it when directors like GL or the Warchowski Brothers (Matrix) say you have to look at all three movies as a whole. That is a cop-out in my opinion because it means they really don't have the talent to produce good, stand alone stories that are supposed to be able to stand on their own (pun intended) because this is what movies used to be about, but because of the trilogy aspect a lot of directors and producers are taking this as the easy way out when a movie that is part of a trilogy or series doesn't do as well as they initially predicted.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:52 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I have to admit I am not really a SW fan, and only got into the movies with Episode II due to Hayden, lol.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:03 PM
Total Fan

I don't know if I can wait any longer. This movie looks really awesome, better than the first two. I keep seeing all these previews for it. It is being released here on the 19th, which is less than a week away. It is going to be literally impossible to get near the theater when it comes out though. The theaters in my town aren't very big and the tickets sell out quick. They are doing a midnight showing of it before it opens, but I doubt I will be able to make it to that. It would be too hard to get a babysitter. So hopefully I can atleast see it within the first week it is released.

The other two were really good. Attack of the Clones was good but it had some boring parts. Phantom Menace was really cool. I love the pod racing. The little boy who played Anakin was so adorable.

I'm mostly looking forward to seeing the creation of Darth Vadar. He is my favorite character.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:33 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I'm mostly looking forward to Hay, lol.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:54 PM
Fan Forum Star

I can not wait to see this movie! I'm so anxious! From what I've seen so far, it looks amazing.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:17 PM
Fan Forum Legend

It looks truly heartbreaking.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread