Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2004, 02:18 PM
Fan Forum Star

Here is what i didnt understand the friendship between Harry and peter, i thought that harry was constantly anatogizing peter about spiderman, and he kept talking about him, so whats the purpose of being friends.
Old 07-04-2004, 02:22 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by JediBlastoise

Dr Conners - Lizard. we already see he's missing the arm!!
Yes! And if you notice, they make sure the missing arm is visible in his scenes. I can't wait to find out.
on a Miracle Drug
Old 07-04-2004, 02:22 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by True Daisy lover4ever
Here is what i didnt understand the friendship between Harry and peter, i thought that harry was constantly anatogizing peter about spiderman, and he kept talking about him, so whats the purpose of being friends.

I never considered them as friends since Harry persued MJ knowing that Peter had a thing for her.
Old 07-05-2004, 12:27 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Bronson
I never considered them as friends since Harry persued MJ knowing that Peter had a thing for her.
hey. he who hesitates, masturbates. Peter never made a move on her, so why wouldnt Harry do anything?

and Lady Z, those tentacles are fused to his spine, so they can't come out.
Old 07-05-2004, 02:38 AM
Absolute Fan

Well just got back from seeing SM2 and I have to say that I was scared that it would not be good or even live up or compare to SM1, but I loved it.

I don't know how to describe it, I went in thinking it was going to go in one direction and went the total opposite, giving you the element of surprise.

One of my favorite moments in the film had to be the slap between Harry and Peter.... it was so realistic, the scene was so dramatic. James did an excellent job and put so much emotional feeling into that one scene, the scene where he confronts Peter about how he really feels about his connection with Spiderman and OMG the rection that Peter had to it, it was so sad... I felt so terrible for him and right after that, having to hear about MJ accepting a marriage proposal... Tobey can act, he seriously makes you believe his character. Everytime he teard up or cried, I did too, especially with Uncle Ben and with his Aunt, when she was explaining and crying about the 20 dollars she gave him. Man I loved this movie. I loved the fact that it was not all fighting, that it actually had a story in it unfolding.... the love between MJ and Peter, the conflict between Harry and Peter, the emotional, touching scenes with his aunt and of course the realization of not wanting to be Spider-man and talking to his uncle.... The fight scenes were awesome, don't get me wrong, but this movie was so much more then a action packed movie, it had heart, action and romance, something that films like now-a-days, no nudity and no profanity, and it being a great movie, is hard to come by, but I thought it was terrific. I don't even want to compare SM1 to SM2, because they are two very different films, with very different plots to me. To me the first one was awesome, but it was more of an introduction of this character, but in this one, 2 years later, we see that the town thinks he is a meanace, but in the end, they appreciate him, more then they ever have and the unmasking, was just pure genius to me especially when Harry unmasked him and he did not care for anything, but MJ in that moment and of course when MJ realizes that it was Peter all along and that his love for her, never died and how she left the wedding to be with him.. and of course harry find the Goblin's hidden room, that was a priceless moment. I will be going again...

Other moments I loved were the beginning with the pizzas and how that guy was so happy about that one slice of pizza and then he took it back and of course the elevator scene, when he told the guy the suit was riding up his crotch (LMAO) and other moments were, when the lady was signing the Spider-man song and he just looked at her wierd and of course when he was reborn into Peter Parker and even though he was happy and revived, he took that spill onto the ground(LOL) that was classic. Oh and you have to love his boss, he calls his name about 10 times, then says where you been, I called you twice. (LOL) I also believe our beloved Aunt was not just talking to Peter, but I think she knew she was talking to Spider-man, when she was talking about the town needing him...

Overall, best movie, best villan, best plot, best acting... I am so glad tobey decided to do the second one.
Congrats Kasey Kahne #9
2005 Chevy American Revolution 400 Nextel Cup Champion

Welcome To The O.C. Bitch
Old 07-05-2004, 08:04 AM
Obsessed Fan

All I can begin with is OMG!!!

I've just seen this movie and all I can say is WOW and OMG!! hehe

At first I thought it was a slow starter but then as you let yourself emerse properly into the characters in the film you realise that it was a slow starter for a very good reason.
Never did I imagine that i would get to see what I so wanted badly in the first movie...that being that people saw Peter Parker as Spiderman... the MJ and PP scenes were great, and Doc Oc was just sublime as the main baddie It's always been a fav thing of mine that most of the baddies in Spider man lore have heart and other reasons (accidents or otherwise) to become what they do...I felt the Character of Doc Oc was very well portrayed on both sides of the coin the char faced

I'm inclined to love this so much more than the first but at the same time I realise the ongoing ride of it all

Highly recommended!!!
Old 07-05-2004, 09:05 AM
Passionate Fan

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JediBlastoise
[B]hey. he who hesitates, masturbates. Peter never made a move on her, so why wouldnt Harry do anything?

You make a very good point. Peter didn't go for it.
Old 07-05-2004, 12:13 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by JediBlastoise

and Lady Z, those tentacles are fused to his spine, so they can't come out.
Yeah, but one would secretly hope an EMP would disable them if they're within the blast radius.
on a Miracle Drug
Old 07-05-2004, 12:38 PM
Addicted Fan

I loved this movie! I thought it was great, loads better than the first one, which I liked, too. One of the things I loved about the sequel was that it was really pretty funny. It had everyone in the theater laughing out loud at a lot of parts. And it had some pretty good action scenes (I'm easily pleased when it comes to that sort of thing), and the romance didn't suck even though Kirsten Dunst was part of it (I don't like her.)

I think my favorite part was when Harry unmasked Peter. James Franco did a great job. Plus that was the moment I was just waiting for ever since I saw it on the commercial.

And, finally: I ADORE Tobey.

icon credit
Old 07-05-2004, 03:18 PM
Passionate Fan

Not a positive review... you've been warned

I've seen a lot of comic book movies, mostly due to the fact that my twin brother loves comics and I usually go see them with him. I grew up watching the cartoons of X-Men and Spiderman, etc.

I was really wary about seeing this sequel for two reasons: 1) sequals suck, in general, though there are exceptions like Shrek 2 or X-men 2 and 2) because I hated the first Spiderman movie.

However, I went because it was my friend's 21st birthday and he picked the movie.

This movie was worse than the first one. The performances were lackluster and the only thing that this movie has to recommend itself is its special effects. It amazes me that there was actually a Pulitzer Prize winner listed as one of the writers for this movie (that's Michael Chambon) because not only was the dialogue terrible, the storyline was awful and had more than a few holes in it (like the whole fusion thing sucking in metal objects, though interestinly Doc Oc's arms remained immune or that Peter's spidey powers were suddenly gone then back again with no explaination).

The love story was even more annoying in this installment, Dunst and Maguire have zero chemisty. Speaking of the two stars, it amazes me that they actually payed Dunst for this role. She does nothing to make her character endearing or even three dimensional. She is nothing more than that pretty face on the billboard that we see over and over again throughout the movie. Maguire, who's earnest Pete Parker was sympathetic in the first movie, was dorky and rather annoying in the sequal. James Franco's whole avenge my father deal would have been interesting if he hadn't played it in such a whiny bitch sort of way (slapping Peter? PLEASE. At least let the guy throw a punch!) And as for the villian, Alfred Molina tried to make his character into something more than a raving lunatic and ultimately failed because the material was just not there for him to work with.

After seeing scenes where "Raindrops keep falling on my head" plays in the background while a jolly Peter moves through his days and a pitiable scene involing Mary Jane and a wedding gown, I can only conclude that director Sam Rammi was either on drugs or suffering a mental break while shooting this movie. People actually laughed mockingly in the theater at these scenes.

Basically this movie is not worth the hype, the 8 bucks you pay to see it, or the millions that was invested in it.

So I am sure, judging by the box office numbers, that many disagree, but this is just my opinion. You could surely find something better to watch if you ask me

"Love is being stupid together."

I have my own fun...
Old 07-05-2004, 04:37 PM
Extreme Fan

That Raindrops scene? So much The Funny. I was laughing at how silly and wonderfully *geeky* it was. So perfectlly endearing and amusing, and Tobey Maguire sold it to me on a silver platter. Plus, whatever crack Sam Raimi is on, I hope he's got plenty of it for the next movie.
Old 07-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Total Fan

Re: Not a positive review... you've been warned

Quote:
Originally posted by bexter
...Peter's spidey powers were suddenly gone then back again with no explaination).

Posted earlier:

He didn't want the responsibility of being Spiderman. Because of this deep-seeded doubt, his abilities started to fail him. He couldn't shoot his webs, he became afraid of heights (when he was on the roof looking down, just before the elevator scene), he could no longer scale buildings, he lost his spidey senses and his vision needed correction again. The doctor affirmed that it was all mental and that he had a choice of whom he wanted to be. He made the choice to be Peter Parker, and only Peter Parker again.

His return to Spiderman took time as well. Thus, his huge fall off the rooftop ("My back!"). Once he basically made the choice at the coffee shop with MJ, his spidey senses were back and he felt the car crashing into the window.
on a Miracle Drug
Old 07-05-2004, 06:45 PM
Passionate Fan

Re: Re: Not a positive review... you've been warned

Quote:
Originally posted by LadyZ
Posted earlier:

He didn't want the responsibility of being Spiderman. Because of this deep-seeded doubt, his abilities started to fail him. He couldn't shoot his webs, he became afraid of heights (when he was on the roof looking down, just before the elevator scene), he could no longer scale buildings, he lost his spidey senses and his vision needed correction again. The doctor affirmed that it was all mental and that he had a choice of whom he wanted to be. He made the choice to be Peter Parker, and only Peter Parker again.

His return to Spiderman took time as well. Thus, his huge fall off the rooftop ("My back!"). Once he basically made the choice at the coffee shop with MJ, his spidey senses were back and he felt the car crashing into the window.
While I can see how this might be seen as a reason or "excuse" for his lack of powers and then sudden rebound, it is a poor one. All the comic book fans I went with said that it had something to do with the fact that in the comics the mechanisms that Spiderman uses in the comics to shoot web tend to malfuncation at inoburtune moments or something. haven't read enough comics to know if that was true, but it is what they said. Also, I didn't think that mutant abilities had anything to do with how much someone wanted them or not. It would have made life a lot easier for Rogue in X-Men if it worked that way.

There were many other things that were wrong with this movie, this was just one of my observations of something that I didn't think worked all that well.

"Love is being stupid together."

I have my own fun...
Old 07-05-2004, 06:52 PM
Total Fan

Re: Re: Re: Not a positive review... you've been warned

Quote:
Also, I didn't think that mutant abilities had anything to do with how much someone wanted them or not. It would have made life a lot easier for Rogue in X-Men if it worked that way.

There were many other things that were wrong with this movie, this was just one of my observations of something that I didn't think worked all that well.
But, the X-Men were born with their mutation. Spiderman wasn't.

Fair enough. I thought it worked because one of the issues in the movie is choice.
on a Miracle Drug
Old 07-05-2004, 07:17 PM
New Fan

Re: Not a positive review... you've been warned

Quote:
...Peter's spidey powers were suddenly gone then back again with no explaination...
As other people have been saying, I thought the deal with that was that he was losing confidence and doubting himself, so his abilities were reflecting that, kinda. Like, you know, in "Bulletproof Monk" where he had to really believe the laws of gravity didn't exist before he could go flying up a wall. So once he believed he could really do it, he could...this is not very comic book-y, but for a movie, it makes sense.

Quote:
(slapping Peter? PLEASE. At least let the guy throw a punch!)
Actually, I kind of liked that. I thought it was very Shakespearean or something, you know? It had more effect that punching him, somehow.

I liked it about equal to or slightly more than the first. I love Alfred Molina, and I think he was a good choice because he didn't seem like your usual one-dimensional crazy-for-the-sake-of-it villian. And I liked how Peter was flawed, kind of. Makes him easier to identify with. MJ...I've just never liked her, she's too prissy for me, but she's all right.

Loved the cameo of Dr. Connors...hopefully there'll be more about him in the next movie. And the Hal Sparks cameo just made me squeal.