Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2004, 12:56 PM
Addicted Fan

i liked the second one WAY better.

Quote:
Hands down the best part of the movie was when MJ found out. When Spiderman was talking to Doc Ock, I forgot that MJ was there. So it as a pleasant surprise for me when she confronted him. How cute was he when he rushed over and saved her from the falling beam and he looks at her and says, "Hi"?
totaly agree. i though i was the only one that forgot. lol guess not. it was so great she found out. or i would of been like really mad

im so excited to see wat harry does. but he'll proboaly become all evil. it was such a good part at the end with him. i though that was the ending like a big clif hanger

i loved it

Bhery
Old 07-01-2004, 06:05 PM
Jay
Master Fan

i just came back from watching and i gotta say it's better than the 1st one overall.

but i was suprised that Peter revealed his identity four times in the movie. i know...he was doing his job as Spider-man but in the comic book world...it took a very long time for him to actually reveal his own identity to MJ, Harry and the rest..but then again..this is a movie..so things would have been fast foward anyways.

i loved that last part when MJ went back to Peter and wanted to be a part of his life...knowing he has responsibilites as Spider-man. that was sweet...and the "tiger" comment...yay. i'm so glad MJ knows that Peter is Spider-man. i just didn't expect it be this soon..but it's better now.

the one thing i noticed and have come to love is the realism of the movie. for instance, peter living such a poor life on his own,(low cash, fired from his job, messed up and small apartment, cracks, stains, and pieces of paint fallinf apart on his walls, his aunt having financial problems..etc.), things like these mirros what we go and will go through in our lives when we go out on our own.

now i assume the third sequel will have Harry as Goblin II. but i aslo hope that a new villian is also in it and joins Goblin II..but at the end...Goblin II(when Harry's mind is not controlled anymore) will not kill Peter and instead gets himself and the other villian killed. i already have this ending in my head for the next one.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:15 PM
Moderator Support Team

Moderator of ...
Off Topic

I was surprised too that Spidey's identity was reviewed so many times, especially in the train scene. I also suspect that Aunt May knew or was at least guessing that Peter was Spiderman. It was kinda suspicious that he was usually so caring for his aunt and then at the bank, he'd suddenly take off like that as if he didn't care for her and only cared for his own life.

Besides all the drama, I love all the side humour as well. Like the elevator scene, the woman singing "Spiderman.....Spiderman.....", Peter never getting food/drink at the party, the continuous barking of the newspaper publisher/editor......
Old 07-01-2004, 08:22 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay_10
i just came back from watching and i gotta say it's better than the 1st one overall.

the one thing i noticed and have come to love is the realism of the movie. for instance, peter living such a poor life on his own,(low cash, fired from his job, messed up and small apartment, cracks, stains, and pieces of paint fallinf apart on his walls, his aunt having financial problems..etc.), things like these mirros what we go and will go through in our lives when we go out on our own.

u know i think thats why it does so well as a movie. like box office wise and stuff buz out of all the superheros u can realte so much to him and understand wta he's goign throuhg it makes him being a superhero just a bit more realistic becuase u can feel wat he is feeling and relize wat he is giving up to be this person. thats why i think i nthe end thats the most important part of the movie

Bhery
Old 07-01-2004, 09:25 PM
Total Fan

Just got back from viewing number 2 and thought I'd add a few more thoughts.

How incredible were the opening credits??? Man...the recap of the previous movie...the comic pages getting us prepped for this second installment...fantastic!

Loved the little bits of comic relief. The elevator scene

Astronaut boyfriend lying down on the couch...nice muscles there, buddy.

We'd all be a little happier if we had an Aunt May to lean on. Bless that woman's heart.

About Toby's acting: I think he did a fine job. At times, it looked like he was practically wincing in pain to play the part (the back probs). He seemed to say, "Dude, do I have to be doing this?" Unwillingness, hesitation, doubt,...it was all there. The greatest thing about it- it was exactly the emotion he was trying to show. In truth, Tobey McGuire was probably as reluctant to play the role of Spiderman as much as his character, Peter Parker was. It was brilliant.
on a Miracle Drug
Old 07-01-2004, 11:16 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by LadyZ
How incredible were the opening credits??? Man...the recap of the previous movie...the comic pages getting us prepped for this second installment...fantastic!
I forgot the mention that before. That was one of the coolest things about the movie. Excellent.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:20 AM
Jay
Master Fan

oh yea..the opening credits rocks. it's like a collage of black/white, paintings/ pencil drawings--all which pretty much summarized the first film leading into the 2nd one. amazing..one of the best opening credits ever.

btw, was that Stan Lee in that brief scene of him holding the woman back from the crumbles? it looked like him..but it was quick.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:02 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by LadyZ

About Toby's acting: I think he did a fine job. At times, it looked like he was practically wincing in pain to play the part (the back probs). He seemed to say, "Dude, do I have to be doing this?" Unwillingness, hesitation, doubt,...it was all there. The greatest thing about it- it was exactly the emotion he was trying to show. In truth, Tobey McGuire was probably as reluctant to play the role of Spiderman as much as his character, Peter Parker was. It was brilliant.
Okay, I've decided to give this movie a second chance. Maybe I didn't get to enjoy it that much because it was late after a long day's work. The first time I saw Harry Potter and the Prisoner ofAzkaban, I didn't think much of it. But, after a second time, I loved it. Maybe the same will happen with Spidey. I re-read my post and I did sound a bit harsh on poor Tobey. I didn't know about his back problems. Are they really chronic? Poor guy!

And, yes, I have to agree with the opening credits and the comic book style of summarizing the first movie. That rocked!

Question: Why were his powers failing on him? When he went to the doctor, he said Peter was healthy. I thought it was because of the lack of sleep and always being tired and stressed, but after the doctor scene...that was not the case.

(icon by Me)
Old 07-02-2004, 12:06 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by *Eliza (Liz)
Okay, I've decided to give this movie a second chance. Maybe I didn't get to enjoy it that much because it was late after a long day's work. The first time I saw Harry Potter and the Prisoner ofAzkaban, I didn't think much of it. But, after a second time, I loved it. Maybe the same will happen with Spidey. I re-read my post and I did sound a bit harsh on poor Tobey. I didn't know about his back problems. Are they really chronic? Poor guy!

And, yes, I have to agree with the opening credits and the comic book style of summarizing the first movie. That rocked!

Question: Why were his powers failing on him? When he went to the doctor, he said Peter was healthy. I thought it was because of the lack of sleep and always being tired and stressed, but after the doctor scene...that was not the case.
I do hope you give it another chance, Liz. He's so human in this movie...for a superhero, that is As for the back problems, he wasn't even sure if he could do this installment. Especially with all the physical requirements. I'm so glad he managed.

As for his powers, it was because of the very hesitation I was discussing earlier. He didn't want the responsibility of being Spiderman. Because of this deep-seeded doubt, his abilities started to fail him. He couldn't shoot his webs, he became afraid of heights (when he was on the roof looking down, just before the elevator scene), he could no longer scale buildings, he lost his spidey senses and his vision needed correction again. The doctor affirmed that it was all mental and that he had a choice of whom he wanted to be. He made the choice to be Peter Parker, and only Peter Parker again.

His return to Spiderman took time as well. Thus, his huge fall off the rooftop ("My back!"). Once he basically made the choice at the coffee shop with MJ, his spidey senses were back and he felt the car crashing into the window.
on a Miracle Drug
Old 07-02-2004, 01:48 PM
Jay
Master Fan

poor Tobey..he fell hard in those two scenes where his powers were failing him. i don't know if he injured himself like that accidently...but it looks painful..especially when he hit the garbage dumpster than onto the top of the taxi and then banged his back side of his head against the side of another taxi. i hope this guy has life insurance..he's gotta be insured for the next installment.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:43 PM
Loyal Fan

my review

Spider-man 2review by Kushmeer "Xmenfan/Slave4buffy" Farakhan

Allow me to get cheesy for a minute. Achem[clearing throat]. Spider-man, Spider-man, be in a superior sequal? No, he can't unfortunately.

As many readers who are familiar with either myself or my movie reviews knows, i'm a huge fan of comic books and comic book films, Spider-man being my 2nd favorite character after a certain Dark Knight Detective. I was a huge fan of the first film as well. While most fans were split on their opinion of the first film, I loved just about every aspect of it. I lot of people didn't like The Green Goblin and the cgi but I dug the Goblin and Willem Dafoe's portrayal of him, feeling he was an totally faithful version of the comic. The cgi...eh, it was okay, not Star Wars prequal bad or anything so i was fine with it on the whole.Spider-man 2 is an whole other issue entirely though. It's problems are far more than I anticipated but on the whole it's still an enjoyable film.

Spider-man2 picks up about 2 years after the first film ended. Peter Parker(Tobey Maguire) is still struggling to make ends meet by taking pictures of Spider-man for the Daily Bugle and now delivering pizzas . He's also, of course, still swinging through the city, fighting crime as Spider-man. Peter's friend Harry Osborn(James Franco) has replaced his father as one of the heads of Oscorp and is funding an fusion experiment to be conducted by new character(and later, villain) Dr. Otto Octavius aka Dr. Octopus(Alfred Molina). Peter's longtime love, Mary Jane(Kirsten Dunst) has become an accomplished stage actress and parttime model and is engaged to the son of Peter's newspaper boss, J. Jonah Jameson(J.K. Simmons). The crux of the film's plot stems from Peter wanting to quit his life as Spider-man in order to have a chance at normality with Mary Jane and at the same time, fend of Dr. Octopus who has 4 mechanical arms attached to him after the fusion experiment goes awry. Can Spider-man stop Doc Ock and still find a way to retain Mary Jane's heart before it's too late?

Okay, the biggest problem I have with the film is it's pacing. While the first film, flowed smoothly from point A to Point B(parker gets powers, uncle ben dies, parker is spidey, green goblin attacks, etc.), Spidey 2 seems to go from point A back to well...point A. For example, parker continuously trieds to convince Mary Jane that he cares about her and isn't missing her Play performances on purpose. Now this would be okay for a scene or two, but it's like EVERY OTHER SCENE! I'm not joking, every other scene, is Peter struggling with his love for Mary Jane and trying to tell her that he's Spider-man. The film is just too damn repetitive at times for it's own good. Not just repetetive, but slow. My main problem with the Hulk(other than i felt it was a little high on it's own sense of importance. I mean, that speech Nolte gave at the end? Drivel.) was that it was slllllllowwwwwwwwww at times. Spidey 2, in some parts, is slower.

The other problem with the film is that Octopus just doesn't have the presence that the Goblin has. Is he less silly to look at? Yes, but he's just not as great a villain. That's not to take away from Molina's performance. Molina IS Doc Ock in the same way that Maguire is Spidey and Dafoe is the Goblin. Spot on portrayal of the comic character for Molina. But he's just not in the movie that much and you never really feel that his plans are gonna succeed either.

For those expecting an slam bam action fest, prepare to lower your expectations. There are about 4 actiony scenes in the film, only one of them being anything amazing(the train scene) and even that one ends in silliness(i'll just put it this way. Spider-man has a mask for a reason. He seems to have forgotten what that reason is, just like Batman did in his film series.)

Now for the positive. The performances are still very good. Maguire is good as he was in the first film, and James Franco is simply excellant as Harry Osborn this time. I can't wait to see where his character goes in part3(though i pretty much already know. Nerd that I am.). Alfred Molina kicks all kinds of ass as Doc Ock and Rosemary Harris and J.K.Simmons do another good turn as Aunt May and J.J. Jameson again. The weakest link to me is Kirsten Dunst. I don't think it's really her fault though. I never would've made her Mary Jane in the first film. I always thought this was Alicia Witt's role but cest la vie'.

Another thing I loved about the film was some of the dialogue between characters. Octopus has the best lines in the film(speeches and one liners were great) and there are extraordinarily cool exchanges btw Harry and Peter and Peter and Aunt May(that one almost made me cry).

Lastly, there are the action scenes which are overall better directed than the first film, though only half of them to me, have any real bite. The train fight was amazing(but ended stupidly) and although not actual fight scenes, Doc Ock's origin and his subsequent hospital escape were some of the coolest scenes i've seen in any comic book film.

To wrap things up, Spider-man 2 is a good enough sequal that furthers the storyline of all of it's characters but ultimatly is a bit dissapointing in regards to pacing and a few other elements. Don't get me wrong, it's a pretty good movie but I strongly urge everyone to lower their expectations some. IMO, X2 is still the stronges marvel sequal. Spidey has nothing on em'. Maybe part 3 will.

9.25/10

4.25/5 movieman's site.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:45 PM
Jay
Master Fan

my fav' scene was when the people in the subway lifted spider-man all the way to the back in slow-mo, so he wouldn't be one of the first to fall down since the front part of the subway was above the cliff and that his life is more important than theirs since he rescued them from getting killed. it defintely showed that people really appreciate his help...and for once...doing something for him...as well as keeping his identity from anyone else.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:21 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by The Survivor
I loved this movie. I think this movie ranks up there right there with Batman for me. Anyway I think my favorite part of the movie was when he after he stopped the train when he had his mask off, the people said they wouldn't tell them who he was and they tried to protect him being taken by Doc Ock.
Ditto! I thought that was just amazing. Actually, I didn't expect so soon for Spiderman's identity to be revealed - even to Mary Jane - but it just worked out well. Definite 2 thumbs up film!

Have a happy holiday & prosperous new year!
Old 07-02-2004, 11:20 PM
Passionate Fan

Question: You know the black guy that works for the newspaper...I forgot his name...how did he know that Peter Parker was Spiderman? I got the vibes from him that he knew before everyone even found out at the end of the movie.

Here's my review:

To answer the question which Spiderman I liked better...I would say Spiderman II! I saw the movie last night and I was entertained from beginning to end. I never lost interest...which I think everyone here has experienced in other movies. I'm not usually a fan of fight scenes but I was amazed at the fight scenes between Doc Oc and Spidey! And I have to say, the chemistry between Tobey and Kirsten is still there. I'm glad that they didn't let their personal lives get in the way...on screen they still have it!
You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose.Act.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:54 AM
Jay
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by truelovepj
Question: You know the black guy that works for the newspaper...I forgot his name...how did he know that Peter Parker was Spiderman? I got the vibes from him that he knew before everyone even found out at the end of the movie.
he(Robertson) doesn't know that Pete is Spider-man(i don't think so...trying to remember from the comic books) but he admires Spider-man and that's why he's always against jonah (editor?). he wants the people and jonah to see SPpider-man as the good hero....and that he respects Pete 'cause he's nice and is close to Spider-man. that's what i think...but he doesn't know his real identity.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top