Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2005, 05:30 PM
Obsessed Fan

Searching For Debra Winger (2002) #1

This was on Showtime the other night and it is a fantastic documentary from 2002, driectecd by actress Rosanna Arquette, and addresses a lot of issues female actresses go through in Hollywood. It covered a range of topics from aging gracefully to how actresses balance fame and having families.

The title comes from the fact actresses Debra Winger retired from the business at the top of her career in her 30s, to raise a family when she could have gone on and been an even bigger star than she already was in the 1980s. The documentary is a series of candid interviews with the likes of Sharon Stone, Selma Hayek, Jane Fonda, Patricia Arquette, Vanessa Redgrave, Meg Ryan, Daryl Hannah, Melanie Griffith and a host of other A-List perfomers (both American and International) and the eventual interview with Debra Winger where she explains exactly why she left.

I think this is a VERY relevant to FF since the majority of posters here are female and some are even aspiring actresses.

The main things that stood out for me when watching were:

1) The reason good, solid roles for females are so slim is because Hollywood has shifted the focus to the teen-male demographic to the point where even women as sex symbols... Or rather, sexy as an ideal... Isn't emphasized anymore.

While that may seem like a good thing for females, what the film is saying is this is part of the reason for the age bias against older women (over 25; 40+) in Hollywood as well as marketing movies to older audiences because back in the golden eara of silver screen women... Women were actual objects of beauty that sold movie tickets compared to today when young teen males aren't even interested in a sexy woman (or the beauty of a woman) any more and just want the big explosions. CGI creatures and effects.

I thought this aspect was fascinating and as a male who is in their 30s, I fully agree with this.

Again, while females shouldn't just be portrayed as a sex symbols the fact is most films now have roles for females that are basically "substitute males", I.E. Angelina Jolie films like "Tom Raider", and "Mr. and Ms. Smith" where she can kill as many people as Arnold Schwartzenneggar, and there ISN'T an emphasis on sex (or being sexy) as an ideal especially FOR women over 21... Like Angelina Jolie... Which is exactly where the age bias starts that only gets worse when they reach their 30s, and then 40s and into their 50s.

In addition, another big part of Hollywood's age bias toward younger audiences and just being "youth obsessed" is most of the studio execs are males in their 20s and exhibit a "Revenge of the Nerds" syndrome once they come to power.

Meaning, they are very smart guys (in college), but don't have very good social skills, but now they are running things so they want to perpetuate and maintain their adolescent fantasies of their "dream girls" whom they probably never could get in real life... And don't have to now that they work in Hollywood. This in turn is reflected in the projects they greenlight and the actresses they hire and promote and none of them are over 25 because they (the execs) aren't over 25 most of the time themselves.

2) The Realities of the Entertainment Business for Women.

There were candid discussions about how women are portrayed as nothing but sex symbols (in a negative way compared to earlier) and evaluated on the basis of "fckability" -- direct quote from the movie -- Versus personaltiy, charisma, charm, on-screen presence, etc. that male actors are evaluated on.

Actresses told stories where they were turned down for parts simply because one of the male producers didn't want to sleep with her -- Meaning, projecting his own bias that other male movie-going fans probably would not want to "bang" her either if she were cast as the lead.

They also gave concrete examples of where stereotypes of females (especially, over 25) is the norm and why there aren't that many good roles for females compared to men. They said there is unofficially a gray area between 25 and 55 where females either have to look like they are 21 (a young starlet), or are a "old-crone character actresses" like Judi Dench for example. There is no in-between, or middle ground like there is for men.

On the positive side, Debra Winger said that in hindsight this is exactly why she quit when she was so young (36) because she believes actresses need to take a break from the business and refocus themselves (mentally, physically, spiritually) and she said, ideally, in a perfect world, if all actresses could take a break from 35 and come back when they are 55 not only would they be better actresses/women... But the industry itself wouldn't be full of stereotypes of what a woman over 25 is (mother; aunt; grandmother; etc) because there would be more reality to the roles due to real experiences influencing those roles.

Granted, that is in a perfect world, but she made a good point about how there is a huge elephant in the room no one in the industry talks about... Because if they did, they would have to admit there is a problem -- With Hollywood being youth obsessed and biased toward males -- And somehow try and fix it which Hollywood is not notorious for doing.

3) Real Strength and Wisdom Comes From Learning to Let Go.

The final element that was covered by all the actresses interviewed was there came a point in their lives (in their 40s) where they weren't so concerned with trying to please everyone and everybody and wouldn't "play the game" Hollywood wants them to play (be obsessed with looking young; trying to be something their not; giving into the weight and other superficial criticisms) and the hardest part about it is accepting themselves for who they are... Or are not...

Because just like real life outside of Hollywood, females are taught not trust other females and to not support one another and to always compare themselves to others -- in a negative way -- And there comes a time when they realize it doesn't have to be like that AND that if all females realize this (regardless of profession) there would be less distrust and less self-loathing among females because they would be united in their struggles instead of trying to always compete with one another.

It sounds touchy-feely and a little Women's Lib, but the point is Hollywood doesn't want females (or males) to realize this until it is too late because this is what that (and other) industries thrive on and it just doesn't have to be that way if people realize it and work to change it.

Anyway...

I highly recommend you guys rent it on DVD at your local video store (or try and catch another performance on cable) because I think a lot of what is said in the film not only applies to females, but the industry as a whole and is exactly why there aren't that many really good movies being released more often and that is very relevent to us, here, at the Movies Board

Last edited by Mi||iê Måë; 10-22-2018 at 07:06 PM
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 08:33 AM
Elite Fan

Oh, great topic!

I watched part of this documentary so when I saw the title of this thread I smiled.

I agree with all your points! The part that impressed me the most was when the actresses were talking about having children, having to leave them home... My goodness, imagine being 5 and not having your mom with you. Not understanding why is she not there when you need her to be.

The word they used was "guilty". They felt guilty leaving their children, they felt guilty not having their %100 heart on the film and missing on good roles they would have fought to played otherwise.

They sounded like really love to act, and it must feel like you're doing the wrong thing no matter what you're doing!

I don't know much about how Hollywood works outside of the general idea of how the business is run.... But it is pretty clear how women are squeezed into thin, shallow roles more often than not. How the rich opportunities are reserved for a chosen few and even they are not totally safe from one day waking up and somebody thinking, "oh she's too old now".

I'm not saying men have it easy but women need so many, let's say, "attributes" to fit the ideal. Sometimes those charasterisrics aren't even up to the women, as UM said, but to the eyes of the studio.

It's a tragic industry and it takes ice cold blood to make it.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Loyal Fan

Wow - great comments guys! I couldn't agree more with what you said.

I know this documentary didn't get the greatest reviews but I thought it was excellent. I mean, there was a lot of time spent on some of the women raving about other actresses and I think that may have lost some folks but it didn't bother me. Well, the Patricia thing kind of did - it felt like wasted time a bit. I think it was such a raw and honest look at the harsh reality of the business BUT it wasn't entirely bleak...there were some suggestions on things to look forward to and try to change.

As a random sidenote, I think that is why it is so positive that people like Reese Witherspoon and Drew Barrymore and many others are starting their own production companies to improve the roles available for women. Of course, on the flip side, it will take these women a long time to get to the age where Hollywood pretty much dismisses them but I hope they can have the strength to keep finding quality roles for women regardless of age...or size.
summerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread