Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2005, 08:02 AM
Loyal Fan

I saw RENT last spring break on Broadway and it was amazing and afterwards my friend and I began planning the perfect movie cast and now it's happening!
-Kristi

icon by:Unknown
*Kristi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 06:39 PM
Master Fan

I am counting down the days til this is released.

Rent is tied with Les Mis as my fave musical ever and I have high expectations of this film. I hope they deliver!!
Old 03-16-2005, 02:26 AM
Addicted Fan

I just hope we get it down here before Christmas!!
Profaine Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 03:09 PM
Elite Fan

I'm, well, I suppose a safe phrase to use is obsessed with Rent. The stage version anyway. I'm mildly afraid about the movie. The fact that most of the orig cast is coming back makes me feel a bit better. I wish that they wouldn't cut some songs but I understand why they are. I'm upset that Closer isn't on the list of songs, I guess they'll do Angel's death another way. I also wish that my favorite song, Halloween, would be there but I completly understand why they cut that.

Being as I'm mostly in love with the original recording and my fave character is Mark, I'm thrilled to see Anthony Rapp returning. I just hope that this lives up to the standards that Rent fans are expecting!!

Even on the worst days, there's the possibility for joy

Avie by Nikki Heat
Berkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 05:55 PM
Obsessed Fan

According to Anthony, there have been quite a few changes to the original shooting script. Hopefully that will include the addition of more songs; I really want to see Halloween in the movie too.

Here's a new press release (from Playbill ):

Quote:
"Rent" Film to Hit Movie Theatres in November 2005

Directed by Chris Columbus, Revolution Studios' "Rent," based on the Tony and Pulitzer Prize-winning Jonathan Larson musical of the same name, will be released by Columbia Pictures Nov. 11, 2005.

Filming for the motion picture has already begun in New York and San Francisco featuring many of the stars of the original Broadway production. Those reprising their roles for the film, which features a screenplay by director Columbus and Stephen Chbosky, include Taye Diggs (as Benjamin "Benny" Coffin III), Wilson Jermaine Heredia (as Angel Schunard), Jesse L. Martin (as Thomas B. "Thom" Collins), Idina Menzel (as Maureen Johnson), Adam Pascal (as Roger Davis) and Anthony Rapp (as Mark Cohen). Newcomers include Rosario Dawson as Mimi with Tracie Thoms as Joanne Jefferson. The roles of Mimi and Joanne were created on Broadway by, respectively, Daphne Rubin-Vega and Fredi Walker.

The "Rent" film is being produced for Revolution Studios by Robert DeNiro and Jane Rosenthal and 1492 Pictures' Columbus, Mark Radcliffe and Michael Barnathan. Executive producers include Jeffrey Seller, Kevin McCollum, Allan S. Gordon and Lata Ryan, who produced the Broadway mounting. Julie Larson, the sister of the late Rent composer, is co-producer of the film.

Revolution Studios founder Joe Roth said in a statement, "Rent is one of the most influential musicals of this generation, and we are tremendously excited to be able to bring the film adaptation to the screen. Chris Columbus is the ideal filmmaker to deliver a faithful yet cutting-edge adaptation of Jonathan Larson’s compelling story to existing fans of the musical and to a brand new audience."

Co-producer Julie Larson added, "When we learned that Chris Columbus was going to be directing Rent, we were thrilled beyond belief. Everyone involved with the production has become part of our ever-expanding family, and we are all delighted that this movie will be the next chapter in the continuing legacy of Jonathan’s vision."

Chris Columbus' directorial credits include "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone," "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets," "Mrs. Doubtfire," "Home Alone" and "Stepmom."

Rent updates Puccini's La Boheme to the East Village of the late 1990's, with artists and lovers struggling to connect in a world that is chaotic, shallow and tinged with disease. The late Jonathan Larson wrote Rent's book, music and lyrics. The 1996 Tony and Pulitzer Prize winning musical continues at the Nederlander Theatre in New York City.
Also, there are some really great pictures here and here. Most are of Wilson and Jesse, but there are also some of Adam, Anthony, and Idina.

Last edited by platelet; 03-16-2005 at 06:11 PM
platelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 08:04 PM
Extreme Fan

Right before my birthday on the 13th.

Though, my friend and I already promised that we'd see it together over Christmas break...so maybe it can be Thanksgiving weekend now, if we're both home.

Exciting!

I just really hate Adam's hair.
*pouts*
Old 03-16-2005, 08:48 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie
I wish that they wouldn't cut some songs but I understand why they are.
Do you know which songs are definitely in and which definitely out? Was there something posted previously about this that I just accidentally skipped over?
Old 03-17-2005, 07:50 AM
Loyal Fan

Yeah, my friends and I can go see it for my birthday when they're all in town for thanksgiving!
-Kristi

icon by:Unknown
*Kristi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 08:37 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profaine Angel
Do you know which songs are definitely in and which definitely out? Was there something posted previously about this that I just accidentally skipped over?
First couple of posts have the songs list.

Avie by Nikki Heat
Old 03-18-2005, 01:23 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
First couple of posts have the songs list.
Thanks

And oh thank god, there's two songs in particular I would have boycotted the film had they cut (and they haven't, although my 3rd favourite seems to be missing )
Old 03-18-2005, 08:34 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
And oh thank god, there's two songs in particular I would have boycotted the film had they cut (and they haven't, although my 3rd favourite seems to be missing )
What songs? I would have boycotted if La Vie Boheme was cut...

Avie by Nikki Heat
Old 03-18-2005, 03:09 PM
Extreme Fan

My favorite, favorite is Goodbye Love.
I think it'll be a really great scene.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:13 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
What songs? I would have boycotted if La Vie Boheme was cut...

'Take Me or Leave Me' and 'Over the Moon' - which I *know* wouldn't have been ommitted in a million years, but there's always that slight pang of fear..!
Old 03-19-2005, 09:53 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
'Take Me or Leave Me' and 'Over the Moon' - which I *know* wouldn't have been ommitted in a million years, but there's always that slight pang of fear..!
They can't cut "Over the Moon"!!!!! Maybe they're not listing it as a "song" since most of it is spoken word anyway...

Avie by Nikki Heat
Old 03-20-2005, 06:36 PM
Master Fan

Hey there!
I'm looking forward to the film, but we'll see how it turns out.

I still have not yet seen Rent, but I think I will in the next year.

Please!
There is a Musical/Broadway thread at the music board!

visit us!!

Musical/Broadway Thread!
Arrow #8
~*Astaldoantoiel*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread