Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

View Poll Results: How do you feel about The Reel Awards and how they are run?
They're great! I can't wait for next year. 2 15.38%
They're okay as they are. 1 7.69%
I would prefer it if the moderators of the board and Ms_Melika would come up with the Nominees on their own. 5 38.46%
I like sending in my nominations, but there are too many categories. 2 15.38%
I like that there are a lot of categories! More chance of my favorite being nominated. 1 7.69%
I don't participate. 1 7.69%
Other...(Feel free to post concerns on the thread) 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2008, 02:10 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

The Reel Awards Feedback thread

First off, a big thank you to Ms_Melika, ROCKSTAR, jackiehydelover & taovande for their work in putting together the 2007 Reel Awards

Now, we'd appreciate your feedback.

How do you feel about The Reel Awards and how they are run?
Old 05-07-2008, 02:24 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for starting the poll Chris

I can't take any credit for this though since I didn't help run it Stop it if I'm wrong but I think all the credit goes to Melika, for organizing and PMing and counting votes and making percentages So thank you again Melika! It was really fun
Annie Jeff / Leslie Ben / Maria Michael / Pam Jim / Joey Pacey / Tyra Tim
jackiehydelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Loyal Fan

I had a lot of fun voting and it was very nice of everyone to organize it! But I think that there were too many categories, I didn't submit a vote for some of the later ones because there were just so many!

Save the Johnny Depp Board
natalie8you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Elite Fan

Thank you, thank you. I enjoyed it.

Don't be afraid to be honest thought, vote what you feel!
Melissa Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Elite Fan

My only suggestion is that I think films should have a limit of categories it can be nominated for. Obviously this year there was a favoritism towards Hairspray. And while yes, it was nominated and won a lot of awards during the season, it didn't win everything or get nominated for everything. The academy awards had it right with the nominations it did and didn't give them.
Annie Jeff / Leslie Ben / Maria Michael / Pam Jim / Joey Pacey / Tyra Tim
jackiehydelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:44 PM
Elite Fan

I agree with that suggestion.

I got like ten PM's in a row literally only a minute apart all for Hairspray, it's like a group banded together. Nothing wrong with voting for your favorite but having limited categories is a good idea.

But I'm also in favor of the idea of having the moderators and myself do the nominations with a select few categories for the fans to nominate. (ie Best Hissy Fit, Best Side Kick, Best Scream etc...)

I figure if there are three moderators and myself, we could all submit one choice for each category so each category will have 4 nominations.

Of course it would have to be fine tuned to work properly. But it's something to think about!
Old 05-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Elite Fan

Thank you for setting up the poll, Chris!

Thank you Melika for running everything!

While I didn't nominate Hairspray, I like that here in FF movies that don't get love from big awards can have their day. However, as Chris suggested, there can also be a process of limiting movies to a certain number of categories so that everyone can have a chance, underdogs and mainstream favorites.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Obsessed Fan

I second what Christina said...I can't take any credit for the awards, this was all Melika's doing...she put a lot of hard work into this and should be recognized all on her own.

I like the idea of the moderators and Melika picking the movies/actors up for voting....and I would think it would be in a fair manner.

How many would we limit each movie to? 5?

Also I think a reminder to voter's that in some categories they should be voting for what/who they actually think is the best--not just what is their favorite movie...Not to be rude but Zac winning over lets say Casey for Best Supporting Actor is a bit far fetched....
Old 05-07-2008, 07:08 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks again for the acknowledgment for my work with the awards. It was definitely enjoyable.

But it would not have been doable if it weren't for everyone who participated! So thank you!

I hope through discussions you moderators and i can refine the awards for next year.

I agree tao with your comment about voting for who you think is the best and not just your favorite. For me, that was the upset with the awards, seeing Hairspray taking so much when it was obvious, based on other nominees in certain categories, who could have won. I think that should have been an added rule, "Vote for who you think is best and not just for your favorite".
Old 05-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Elite Fan

I actually thought it was great. Although I didn't know, or watch half the films, cause I'm more of a Horror genre person, so I wasn't familiar with alot of the films. Now if you ever decide to do an all Horror Awards, I'm definately there. *Wink Wink* *HINT HINT*

I also think there should be a limit as well, as to how many times you can nominate the same actor, or film, in a different category. I think once should be fine really, that way you can get more of a spread-out vote.
"pacey I love you, you know that and it's very real." ~ Joey to Pacey 6x24 (dawson's creek)
***BLONDIE*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Elite Fan

That would be the benefit of myself and the moderators picking the nominees, we would make sure there is variety.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:37 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Melika (View Post)
But I'm also in favor of the idea of having the moderators and myself do the nominations with a select few categories for the fans to nominate. (ie Best Hissy Fit, Best Side Kick, Best Scream etc...)

I figure if there are three moderators and myself, we could all submit one choice for each category so each category will have 4 nominations.
What do you mean by this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taovande
Also I think a reminder to voter's that in some categories they should be voting for what/who they actually think is the best--not just what is their favorite movie...Not to be rude but Zac winning over lets say Casey for Best Supporting Actor is a bit far fetched....
Got to agree with you there. Then again this will always be a problem with user-directed polls or competitions. Firstly I'm sure 99% of the people here have not watched every single movie that was nominated. And because of this people tend to be biased in favour of the ones they liked, in this case Hairspray. (And in the case of Casey, Jesse James was criminally overlooked by everybody so it's not surprising that no one really voted Casey, although I have to say that I myself was stunned at the depth of his Bob Ford and felt that he should have won the Academy Award, let alone this Movie Reel award...)

This is linked to the query I have about the closed categories (is that what you meant Melika?) - on one hand if people get to nominate and vote for whatever they want then it'll obviously be skewed to what people like, not necessarily what's best; but on the other hand I'm not so sure I like the idea of a select few people doing the nominations. Hypothetically, you'd have to ask: who gets to nominate? Which categories are closed and which are open? Will the nominations be stuff that people actually have seen? The point is that FF is a forum and everyone gets equal say... the idea of closed categories isn't one that sits very well with me. Just my two cents.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:42 AM
Elite Fan

^^ That was my concern with having just the moderators and myself come up with the nominees, that people who want to make nominations don't get their say.

Like i said, it is an option, it's not something that's set in stone, but hopefully by next year, taking the points made on this thread and the results from the poll, we can refine them so that everyone has an equal say.

That's the most important part for me is that everyone has an equal say.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:59 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Melika (View Post)
That's the most important part for me is that everyone has an equal say.
For me as well.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:29 AM
Elite Fan

Thank you to everyone for posting your concerns, comments and suggestions.

It's great to hear everyone's opinions and how they vary.

Mostly because the point of this poll/thread is to get the truth out, and if we don't know what you feel needs to be adjusted or changed, we can't do anything about it.

So it's important to post how you feel, even if it's negative, that's okay, your opinion matters!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***BLONDIE***
Now if you ever decide to do an all Horror Awards, I'm definately there. *Wink Wink* *HINT HINT*
I would so love to do that.
Reply   Post New Thread