Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2006, 11:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

yup! i so noticed that. at first i didnt recognize him, but after that...i was like..."it's mr.collins!"
Old 07-16-2006, 01:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I noticed that too! I had no idea he was going to be in the movie so when he first appeared on the screen it totally made my day. Tom Hollander is a really wonderful actor. His Mr. Collins was hilarious and fit how he is described in the book so well.

I need to watch the movie again. I haven't watched it in a while. I love it so much! The "car crash" scene is the one that gets me. The way Mr. Darcy finally lets his guard down and then is rejected is just heart-wrenching. Matthew's facial expressions speak volumes in that scene.

Dark Angel...thank you so much!!! I'm downloading your video right now. I can't wait to see it!
Old 07-16-2006, 06:27 PM
Fan Forum Hero

i watched the movie again last night. mr.darcy walking in the mist...is just... and i also love your conan icon...
Old 07-16-2006, 06:29 PM
Master Fan

Okay, I admit it - I just watched this and I liked this version despite the fact the normally attractive Keira Knightly looked just plain odd in this film (and she has a pea head - something I've never noticed before).

What's so funny - the line of this thread, "You have bewitched me, body and soul," is the weakest line in the film, in my opinion, but the rest of that scene is phenomenal. McFayden did a wonderful job, but I'm not surprised by that (I wonder if he notices the similarity between KK's looks and those of his gorgeous, talented wife, Keeley Hawes?). Who knew someone other than Colin Firth could be a good Mr. Darcy?

I know that since this was a big-screen version they had to cut out a lot of parts, so what we end up with is all the best Elizabeth/Mr. Darcy scenes, essentially - this is not a bad thing!

My LJ for Movies
Old 07-16-2006, 08:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

i first saw matthew in 'spooks' [called MI5, here in the states], and after seeing him in p&p, i cant picture him as anything else anymore. but ive heard so much debate between this one and the '95 version. that im curious to see the '95 version now.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:50 AM
Master Fan

I like both, and they're rather different in some aspects, and rather similar in others. They '95 version was a mini-series so they could aford to be more detailed. Also, Colin Firth's Mr. Darcy is much more stoic...but still darned hot!

Yeah, I like him in Spooks/MI-5, too, which is where he met and fell in love with Keely Hawes (*is a fan*).

I think both versions have merit and there's thankfully no reason to choose between the two.

My LJ for Movies
Old 07-17-2006, 09:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyle
i watched the movie again last night. mr.darcy walking in the mist...is just... and i also love your conan icon...
Thanks! I love Conan. I just switched to a Keira Knightley POTC 2 icon now.

I'm still trying to see MI-5. I've heard the series is really good and I'm interested in seeing more of Matthew's work because he, to me, is one of those truly remarkable actors that one doesn't come across everyday. I can't believe that I had never heard of him before P&P. Needless to say I'm now a fan. There's so much of his work I've missed out on. Now I'm trying to catch up.

I think that he and Keeley are so cute together. I'm hoping that their new movie, Death At A Funeral will come to the states. I'm sure they've done a phenomenal job in it.

Dark Angel your video was so good! I'm a huge Coldplay fan so I especially loved the song choice. It fit really well. Great job!
Old 07-17-2006, 10:33 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrrshrr
Yeah, I like him in Spooks/MI-5, too, which is where he met and fell in love with Keely Hawes (*is a fan*).
who did keely play?
Old 07-18-2006, 07:26 PM
Master Fan

Oh, crap - I haven't watched it in a year so I've forgotten the characters. She's the one with the blond bobbed hair - the one that had the fling with the guy they were supposed to be investigating? The other spy?

I much prefer her with longer hair, but she's just luminous.

As for those of you who haven't seen the show, Matthew's character and Keeley's character are both exceptionally complicated, especially when it comes to balancing their personal lives with their work. I think it makes them the two most compelling characters on the show.

*will be back with photos*

My LJ for Movies
Old 07-18-2006, 07:40 PM
Master Fan

I'm back with a great quote from Mr. McFadyen about his role in Pride and Prejudice (click the entire thing for a link to the whole article):

"Everyone goes, 'How did you prepare for the role, how did you approach it?"' MacFadyen said. "Well, you turn up, learn your lines, grow some sideburns, play the scene and go home..."

And Keeley played Zoe! I can't believe I couldn't recall her name. I first saw her in The Moonstone (with the gentleman who's currently Emma Thompson's husband), then Cold Lazarus, then Our Mutual Friend, and finally The Cater Street Hangman (all on PBS (Public Broadcasting)). By the time I saw her in Lucky Jim, Spooks/MI-5 and Miss Marple I was a huge fan. I couldn't have been more thrilled when I found out she and Matthew McFadyen were a couple.

My LJ for Movies
Old 07-18-2006, 08:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I love that quote from Matthew. The great thing is he is one of the most brilliant actors I've come across in a while. I love how he doesn't buy into the whole "Hollywood" way of life. He's a character actor rather than an actor who takes roles based on how much exposure he'll attain or wealth he will get from it. I really admire that about him.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

yeah, i love matthew too. and now i know who you're talking about, shrrshrr. zoe was cool. lols. i cant wait to see matthew in more films. hehe.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:12 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I haven't watched this movie in a long while. Maybe I'll get the chance either tomorrow or the weekend.
Emma♥Neal
Old 07-19-2006, 03:04 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_lost

I love that quote from Matthew. The great thing is he is one of the most brilliant actors I've come across in a while. I love how he doesn't buy into the whole "Hollywood" way of life. He's a character actor rather than an actor who takes roles based on how much exposure he'll attain or wealth he will get from it. I really admire that about him.
That's what I love about Matthew as well. He doesn't get caught up in all the hype and bs. He has a sense of humor about life which is great. I'm glad he's a character actor, I like watching those kind of actors work more than the others. It's sad that there aren't many character actors out there anymore, but those who are...those are the most fun to watch.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

that's true. he's so down to earth. that's probably why he suited darcy.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread