Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2018, 12:25 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi||iê Måë (View Post)
That was so sad!

Her Mother is lucky that she EVER forgave her for that. 7 years, she spent believing that Noah didn't truly care for her.
Gwen
Crystal Clear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 03:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I know, I think she was too easily forgiven IMO.
Mi||iê Måë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 03:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Nicholas Sparks took the easy route of "let's have her be forgiven through the power of flashbacks to her own similar dating history"
Gwen
Old 06-30-2018, 05:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

So they could 'relate' to one another and be closer for it.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yes It's such a cliche. If I had a diamond for every time that contrived bonding plot was used in a melodrama...
Gwen
Old 07-01-2018, 01:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Screw diamonds. Make it $100's then I can buy more diamonds!

But yeah, closure so everyone is Happily Ever After...
Old 07-01-2018, 05:48 PM
Moderator Support Team

Honestly, I wouldn't have forgiven my mother that quick. She went through it herself and knows the pain that she went through which is also the pain Allie went through and she never said anything. There's no excuse for purposely inflicting that kind of pain on your own daughter. I mean I know it had to happen because of the movie needing more of a plot, and Sparks needing a plot for the book, but I kind of wish something else had been done instead of that.

diamonds are forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:15 AM
Fan Forum Hero

^ and not just Allie's feelings are being hurt, either. It's a whole emphasis on how Allie's mother had an epic first love that is still in her mind, even though she's committed to Allie's father. That whole quote "he is good to me, and I don't deserve it" ugh well, try being happier in your marriage to him, and then maybe you WOULD deserve it.
Gwen
Old 07-02-2018, 12:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It's just a non-relatable and non realistic 'forgiveness' period for something like that.

Allie lost years with Noah because of it.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think it's awful that Allie's father is basically shown to be the 'Lon' of the situation.

Meaning that Lon is wonderful and she loves him, but there's a whole other level to her other ~love~ that Allie's mother can't forget and therefore she acts quite cold towards him.
Gwen
Old 07-02-2018, 02:12 PM
Moderator Support Team

Realistically it would've taken years for forgiveness or maybe the rest of their lives for a full forgiveness.

Old 07-02-2018, 02:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That's the thing about movies. Everything can be neatly tied up in a bow, even if it seems cringeworthy when you think about it afterward
Gwen
Old 07-02-2018, 03:24 PM
Moderator Support Team

That is true.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:32 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think her Mother was a cliche figure of the times. Nicholas Sparks used her to show the typical Upper-Middle Class family who was overprotective of their child and wanted them to marry into wealth rather than for love. Allie's mother deliberately shut down her own feelings, because she felt that Allie deserved the best possible future.
Gwen
Old 07-02-2018, 03:37 PM
Moderator Support Team

Ah, good point.

Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top