Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2006, 04:43 PM
Absolute Fan

my fair lady is great!
Old 08-11-2006, 05:33 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
I tried to watch My Fair Lady before but fell asleep. I want to give it a second chance, though.
Yeah. It's a pretty long one. The first part drags a little and can be a little boring, but after the intermission it gets awesome! That part has my favorite songs in it, 'Show Me' and 'I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face'. I just wish Audrey Hepburn had actually been allowed to sing her own songs instead of hiring someone to dub over her.

"I missed you." - "You know what I missed you too."
Amber LJ | My FanFiction | Twitter Icon by me.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:44 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I read the play in school and really liked it.

did Audrey not sing very well?
Old 08-12-2006, 11:25 AM
Total Fan

Audrey can sing. She just can't hit the really incredibly high notes. The studio actually told her that she would get to sing her own songs, and then they went behind her back and hired Marni Nixon who also dubbed for West Side Story. Audrey got really mad. My Fair Lady ended up being one of the last movies that had dubbed over singers. There was a lot of scandel associated with that movie because the studio hired Audrey Hepburn for the role of Eliza. A lot of fans and critics were upset that they didn't choose Julie Andrews for it seeing as she was the one who created the role on Broadway and could hit the high notes. It led to the huge Oscar controversy. When nominations were announced, Audrey was snubbed in Best Actress. Instead Julie Andrews was nominated for Mary Poppins and wound up winning the award. The motives behind that are still debated. (DVD special features rock!)

Quote:
I read the play in school and really liked it.
Yeah, Pigmalion is great! The movie's pretty much word for word the play with songs added in.

Old 08-12-2006, 12:51 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I heard about the Julie thing. I can't really say that Audrey was a bad choice cause I didn't see enough of her performance to judge.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:21 PM
Total Fan

I think what irritated everyone was that chose Audrey and then hired someone else to do the siinging. If they had let Audrey do her own singing, I don't think the public would have made such a fuss about it.

Old 08-12-2006, 04:06 PM
Fan Forum Legend

do you feel like the songs really required high notes?
Old 08-12-2006, 06:34 PM
Obsessed Fan

The songs definitely require the high notes....I could have danced all night especially.

My Fair Lady is one of my favorites and I absolutely adore Audrey (one wall in my room is dedicated to posters of her!)
Old 08-12-2006, 06:44 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
I absolutely adore Audrey (one wall in my room is dedicated to posters of her!)
I'm so jealous! I totally want an Audrey poster, but I can't find one. I do have a Frank Sinatra poster though.

Old 08-12-2006, 08:19 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I really liked Audrey in Roman Holiday. I love that movie
Old 08-12-2006, 08:21 PM
Absolute Fan

I love all of audrey movies!
Old 08-13-2006, 12:08 PM
Total Fan

Me too! Audrey rules!

What's everyone's favorite song out of all the musicals? It's so hard to choose! I guess mine would have to be No Good Deed from Wicked, although I love this song from On the Town. I think it's called Come Back to My Place or something. I'm not sure. It's the one sung by the taxi driver and Frank Sinatra when they're in the taxi and he wants to go sightseeing. It's so funny how she keeps slamming on the brakes and his guidebook is out of date.

Old 08-13-2006, 08:44 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I can't pick a fav song. I love so many musicals and so many songs from those movies.

such as El Tango De Roxanne - MR
a bunch of songs from SOM and Grease and Rent. I love La Vie Boheme
Old 08-15-2006, 12:44 PM
Absolute Fan

I tired to watch rent it was zz to me.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:51 PM
Fan Forum Legend

did you ever see the play? I saw it so when watching the movie I was trying to see how good it would be compared to the play. I liked it equally.
with Chicago I liked the play better than the movie

oh I forgot to mention how I love the West Side Story songs too like America and Quintet