Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2004, 04:02 AM
Ultimate Fan

The Mudge Boy (2003) #1

hey people!!!! i don't know if anybody saw this movie.it is an independent movie...it stars emile hirsch (the dangerous lives of alter boys,the girl next door) , tom guiry (mystic river,the sandlot), and richard jenkins (six feet under).....here is the plot:

The film follows the story of Duncan, a fourteen-year old misfit farm boy trying to fill the void and alleviate the numbness left by his mother's passing. Unable to let her go quite yet, Duncan mimics his dead mother. He talks in her voice at the dinner table and wears her fur coat to bed. Edgar, Duncan's sixty year old, distant father, doesn't understand the strange manifestations of his son's mourning. Why can't Duncan grieve like a normal person? Edgar becomes intent on laying down some new rules and turning his coddled son into someone who can take on the family farm.

post your thoughts if you saw this movie..thankx!!!!
ScorpioGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 04:39 AM
Obsessed Fan

re: The Mudge Boy (2003) #1

'the mudge boy'.......

Quote:
Originally posted by RoswellCutie86:
hey people!!!! i don't know if anybody saw this movie.it is an independent movie...it stars emile hirsch (the dangerous lives of alter boys,the girl next door) , tom guiry (mystic river,the sandlot), and richard jenkins (six feet under).....

post your thoughts if you saw this movie..thankx!!!!

hi...i primarily see independent films.....i saw 'the mudge boy'....oh....about 3 months ago...in an "art house" theater across the street from the university of california at irvine (go anteaters!!!!).......i've seen alot of strange independent films......but in all the strange films that i've seen this has got to be within the top 5 of my viewing experience....

the film is homo erotic in nature....nothing wrong with that imo....but the guy's got a thing for his pet chicken....and in order to calm the chicken....he puts the head of the chicken in his mouth to calm it......(that in itself is erotic enough)...but....

major spoiler here..........

at the end of the movie the boy gets so upset and excited that he bites the head off the chicken!!!!!

all in all it's a good movie... and as you've posted alot of this film has to do about the boy's relationship with his father......but it is very very weird.......i came out of the theater shaking my head....not knowing quite what to think about it....would i recommend it as a dvd rental.......yes, but only if your into weird..........i can't really remember but i think emile hirsch made this film between 'the dangerous lives of altar boys' and 'the girl next door'..........

did you see it?....or are you just asking for opinions before you watch it????

Last edited by mukooh; 08-26-2004 at 05:10 AM
mukooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 04:49 AM
Ultimate Fan

no i never saw it...but i want too...my best friend got me into independent films...i love alot of them.. do you know when it is coming on dvd??
Old 08-26-2004, 11:02 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by RoswellCutie86:
do you know when it is coming on dvd??

i did a quick search for you......i didn't get any hits on that query......independent films seem to take a long time reaching the dvd market, if ever....(the exception would be a film like 'garden state'.....which has been overwhelming liked by most of the people that have seen it...in the still very limited geographic areas that it's been shown in.........it is an excellent film btw).....there's been many an independent film that i've seen that's never made it to dvd.....

as i said before independent film is exclusively what i see....in theaters....because i'm easily distracted watching a dvd at home.........if you ever have a question about independent films that are currently in release....i usually see them all and i post my thoughts to the "what was the last movie that you saw in a theater" thread on this forum.......

in the next week i plan on seeing 'l.a. twister'..........'mean creek'.........and ' the brown bunny'.....which stars vincent gallo and chloƫ sevigny....a film that roger ebert calls one of the worst films ever made.....universially hated at the cannes film festival....and featuring a controversial sex scene between vincent and chloƫ .........

there are alot of interesting and good independent films to see and to seek out......and there are also a few bad ones too.......the good news is that all of them are usually exploring subjects and themes that normally aren't looked at in a "main" stream movie......it's nice that you've developed an interest in them.........

mukooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Fan

i heard about that movie...mean creek looks good.i want to see it..

btw in the movie "the mudge boy" it said there is rape,strong sexual content in it...what do they show that has it in the movie??
Old 08-26-2004, 02:56 PM
Master Fan

Okay, this is ringing a bell... (the chicken part is).

s
p
o
i
l
e
r

I haven't seen it but I think mukooh's discussed it in the past? In any case, since I like chickens I'm not likely to see this, despite the rest of its appeal (and it does look interesting).

I don't know - I might change my mind about it, but I couldn't stand Birdie (or was it Birdy?), with Matthew Modine, for similar reasons. I just like birds, yo, and not in the way they do!

e
n
d

s
p
o
i
l
e
r
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 01:13 AM
Ultimate Fan

mukooh : i am soo dying to see the movie...
Old 08-22-2008, 11:55 PM
Elite Fan

Bumping this as I just saw the movie. I agree with mukooh's opinion, I thought this was a weird movie, not in a bad way... I just don't know how to feel about it.

So much of what happens I don't know why it's happening. This is not a simple movie, but overall it's very hard to digest when half of what happens you're thinking, "what?" Clearly, the people were dealing with loss, family issues, violence, growing up (what it takes to be a man), love, sex, and were doing it in a very unhealthy enviroment.

But what was with the chickens? Did Perry think of Duncan as a girl? I didn't think Perry was gay, just that Duncan, to him, looked and acted like a girl and he was attracted to a version of femininity none of the girls he dated had. He was a virgin, coy, quiet, nice, odd, soft, etc.

The technical aspects were fine, not that I'm an expert. The cinematography was pretty, you got the small town sense, you understood the physical aspects of how the people lived, etc, etc. It was the emotional goings on that were a bit confusing.

And yeah, the part where
Spoiler: