Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2006, 12:23 AM
New Fan

Movies portraying "disabilities"

hi everyone!
i am doing some research on how films (or miniseries or....) present people with disabilities.
i am lurking quite a time in this forum and i believe that your "knowledge" on movies can be very helpful.
i have already Forest Gamp, Daredevil, Common things, Bone Collector, Jennifer 8, some episodes from CSI and West Wing, Mean Creak, My left foot, Rain man , Children of a lesser god, Born on 4th July, Sent of a woman.
is there anybody who can help me?
Old 04-24-2006, 07:05 AM
Master Fan

Hey there - sure, we could help if we knew more about the project. For example, I see you're include both mental and physical disabilities, which is great! Is there something in particular you're focusing on/looking for?

What's the thesis of your project?

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:45 AM
Obsessed Fan

in the film 'shallow hal' starring jack black as "hal".."hal" has a friend by the name of "walt"......"walt" is played by actor rene kirby who actually has spina bifida.......

hope this information helps you with your project.......
mukooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:42 AM
Cotton Candy

How about What's Eating Gilbert Grape?
Old 04-24-2006, 05:41 PM
Master Fan

Well, the trouble is there are SO MANY films that contain actors, characters, or story lines with disabilities.

Let's take for example a few classic films (working backwards chronologically):
The Long Weekend - Alcoholism is a disease and considered a disability as such, falling under the pervuew of the American's with Disabilities Act, or ADA. For that matter, most addictions are considered disabilities, so many drug-related films could fall into that category.

Heidi - has a character in a wheelchair, who's clearly disabled

City Lights - the 1931 Charlie Chaplin film has a main character - the little shop girl - who's blind, hence the plot of the film (The Tramp tries to earn money for eye surgery, to great comic effect)

Ooh, even older: Wings - the 1927 silent film about WWI and lost love/friendship has some famous, wrenching scenes involving those wounded (disabled) in battle.

ETA - 1923's classic The Hunchback of Notre Dame, with Lon Chaney - considered a masterpiece and absolutely about a character with a disability.

...and so on...

It would really help us to know the focus of your project so we can truly assist. Otherwise you'll have people listing films, which number in the hundreds, certainly, and possibly the thousands, which probably isn't very helpful for you...but it is interesting.

My LJ for Movies
Old 04-24-2006, 06:34 PM
Master Fan

There's Something About Mary - Mary's brother is mentally challenged and she cares for him.

Hope that helps too.
Support the Batman & Black SailsCampaign!
The Survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 11:09 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Quest
i am doing some research on how films (or miniseries or....) present people with disabilities.
little_Quest.......shrrshrr has a valid question.......is this project to point out the positive or negative ways people with disabilities are portrayed in film?....with this information we can really be of assistance to your research, rather than just giving a reason and a space for people to post......
mukooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:00 PM
New Fan

firtsly, i want to thank you all very much!
well, as for the subject i am gonna work on this for a quite long period, because i want to include all the kind of disabillities.
if you have any other ideas- not only about films, but even for reviews, festivals or sth else, please pm.
thanks again!
Old 04-30-2006, 09:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

Whats eating gilbert grape is another one?
♥Twilighter Tee♥ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 09:47 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Quest
firtsly, i want to thank you all very much!
well, as for the subject i am gonna work on this for a quite long period, because i want to include all the kind of disabillities.
if you have any other ideas- not only about films, but even for reviews, festivals or sth else, please pm.
thanks again!
Erm - okay, you're welcome - but you still haven't answered our questions.

Perhaps if you told us a little more about your project. What's it for? What's your thesis? Why are you doing this - why you chose this topic (or did someone choose it for you)?

We REALLY need a better idea as to what you're looking for, because right now all this thread is doing is encouraging people to list films without discussing them, and we discourage that around here.

We want to help, but we need more information from you.

Also, it would help us if you didn't use net-speak. Meaning, it took me a while before I could figure out what sth meant (I presume it means, "Something?") - we ask that board members do not post like that. It's in the rules because it's really hard to read. (Not trying to come down on you at all, just trying to make things easier for everyone, and make sure we're all following the rules).

Is there a time period you're working for?

As I said in my reply above - there are literally hundreds if not thousands of films that have disabilities associated with them one way or another and there's just no way we could list all of them - again, need more information. Thanks.

My LJ for Movies
Old 05-02-2006, 12:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Couples
Disney

I thought Radio was a pretty good movie about a developmentally challenged man.

Jenny
AutumnColorsღ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 03:22 PM
Elite Fan

The one I can come up with is Mask (the one with Cher in it) in which one of the main characters has this really rare disease that disfigures his face.
Lain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 03:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Couples
Disney

Mask is a good one!

Jenny
Old 05-02-2006, 10:56 PM
Master Fan

Okay, yes - there are, as I've said several times before, HUNDREDS of films we could list, possibly thousands.

Since we're not getting answers let's ask the poster questions to find out what s/he's looking for. Here's a start:

little_Quest, can you answer the questions below for us, please?

What time period do the films have to be from? (modern, classic, 50s, 70s, when?)

What genre do they have to be? (Comedy, drama, thriller, horror, action, romantic comedy, etc.)

What sort of disability are you looking for? (Physical, mental, addiction - which is a little of both, etc.)

What is the role of the disability to the film? (Physical, mental, the main character is disabled in some way, the film just happens to have a person with a disability associated with it even though that's not the main theme of the film, etc.?)

When do you need to know all this?

What's the project for (school, personal knowledge, church, etc.)?

That's a good place to start.

ETA - look, I'm not trying to come down on you. I just don't see the point of this thread when you can just as easily go to the movie database site, type in 'disability' for a search, and come up with more than 600 titles. I know that becaues I just did it.

So why do you need us?

My LJ for Movies

Last edited by shrrshrr; 05-02-2006 at 11:07 PM
Old 05-03-2006, 01:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Couples
Disney

Those are some good questions Shrr! If the poster actually gets all the info they need, do you think we can keep this thread open to talk about movies with disabilities and what to recommend to watch and what not to, or is this thread going to be closed soon?

Jenny
Reply   Post New Thread