Part-Time Fan

SOME LIKE IT HOT is an all time favorite I also liked
Psycho
The Defiant Ones
The Apartment

icon:mpgirl
Old 06-27-2003, 10:00 PM
Ultimate Fan

'To Kill A Mocking Bird' was quite compelling to me when first saw in 5 years ago. I thought it was a truly touching, well-acted film. This summer I think I will have to re-watch it.
Old 06-28-2003, 02:29 AM
Passionate Fan

I'm a huge fan of black and white movies [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

One of my fav movies is Tree doesn't grown in Brookly .. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Legolas' Arrow #68
Obssed JB fan # 15
Jason's Older Fans
Old 07-01-2003, 12:43 PM
Passionate Fan

I watched The Gold Rush today with Chaplin. I am also reading his Autobiography and he mentions that he realized that he could make people cry as well as laugh and that movie is proof. One feels sorry for the Tramp and wants to make thinks alright for him. If you've seen the movie Benny and June with Johnny Depp, the part where he makes buns or whatever dance on forks is from Chaplin.
"I'm just trying to be really considerate. I've never really done it before but I'm going to give it a shot. You know, I've seen it done and I've read about it so I'm going to try to be nice." ~Will, Big Brother 2
Old 07-01-2003, 03:15 PM
Loyal Fan

Yep, I def gotta agree with Some Like it Hot- excellent film! Marylin Monroe is every bit as watchable as she was in the 50s- a true hollywood icon [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

www.makepovertyhistory.org
~Support humanity. Wear a band~
Old 07-02-2003, 09:32 AM
Addicted Fan

my fav b&w movie is Penny Serenade

I'm going to get Leather Jacket Love Story in a few days it was made in 1998 but they said they made it in b&w to give it a 50s feel so i have to wait and see i cant wait to see it i hope its good.

Angie
Buffy/Angel, Pacey/Joey, Max/Liz, Brian/Justin, Charlie/Claire, Nancy/Hartigan, Wolverine/Rogue, Erik/Christine, Jack/Elizabeth, Mason/George, Mal/Kaylee Chiana/John, Peter/Claire, Daniel/Betty, Doctor/Rose, Bill/Sookie, Riddick/Jack, House/Cameron, Belle/Rumpelstiltskin
Old 07-02-2003, 10:06 AM
Passionate Fan

Oooh! I watched Sergeant York today. It has Gary Cooper and Dickie Moore (from the Little Rascals). The acting is great on Cooper's part in the title role. He won Best Actor for it. I didn't think I'd like it much because it is a war movie but most of the movie is spent at his home, and although the war is a crucial part in the story, it isn't that long. I recommend this movie highly. No wonder it was #1 that year!
"I'm just trying to be really considerate. I've never really done it before but I'm going to give it a shot. You know, I've seen it done and I've read about it so I'm going to try to be nice." ~Will, Big Brother 2
Old 07-02-2003, 11:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Some Like It Hot - Everyone else has said it for me.

It Happened One Night - The best romantic comedy every. Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert are terrific in that.

A Streetcar Named Desire - Vivien Leigh and Marlon Brando gave the two best screen acting performances ever.

All About Eve - The dialogue is amazing, and when it's delivered by Bette Davis, even better.

Now, Voyager - I hate cigarette smoking in movies, but I'll admit it looks amazing in B&W. Another Bette Davis movie.

The Phildelphia Story - I'm getting teary eyed thinking about Katherine Hepburn, but she was just wonderful.

Clerks - OK, it's modern day, but it's shot in B&W. It makes me laugh so hard, and it reminds me of real life. It was Kevin Smith's first movie.

Old 07-07-2003, 04:05 PM
Part-Time Fan

Some Like It Hot
Psycho
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
It Happened One Night
Casablanca

I love these movies so much. They are fantastic, and are often more enjoyable than some movies out today, IMO. Great films...
Old 07-07-2003, 04:30 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by wanderer78:
<STRONG>Now, Voyager - I hate cigarette smoking in movies, but I'll admit it looks amazing in B&W.</STRONG>
I agree with you. It does look very sexy in b&w - when done by the right stars [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] but in colour...ick. I always thought that cigarette smoking and house fires look better in b&w, but fried eggs look worse [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
Old 07-07-2003, 06:39 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Maliejandra:
<STRONG>Oooh! I watched Sergeant York today. It has Gary Cooper and Dickie Moore (from the Little Rascals). The acting is great on Cooper's part in the title role. He won Best Actor for it. I didn't think I'd like it much because it is a war movie but most of the movie is spent at his home, and although the war is a crucial part in the story, it isn't that long. I recommend this movie highly. No wonder it was #1 that year!</STRONG>
I [img]smilies/love.gif[/img] this movie. Every time I watch it, I always end up crying. Gary Cooper is amazing. The fact that it's a true story makes it even more interesting to watch.

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2003, 12:02 PM
Passionate Fan

I saw It Happened One Night and liked it more than I thought I would.

There are some other classics that aren't in black and white that I think are still worth mentioning. Breakfast at Tiffany's is one. Marilyn Monroe movies are classic just because she is in them but most are in color.

I'm in the middle of The Great Dictator right now. Charlie Chaplin said that if he knew the severity of the concentration camps, he never would have made fun of them, and some of the parts in the movie make me a little uncomfortable, but there are some very funny parts with The Tramp barber. Honestly, I think Chaplin was much more expressive in silent movies. I hardly can understand what is going on in this movie yet with silents with barely any title cards, I get everything.
Old 07-13-2003, 01:01 PM
Dedicated Fan

Bette Davis movies like Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?, and All About Eve. Her flims are so well acted and interesting. I love how she is so different in all her movies. She is one of the greatest actors of all time. I love black and white movies they a lot better than todays movies.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:55 AM
Passionate Fan

Hey, if I started up a movie recommendation thread, would you guys have stuff to post on it?
[img]smilies/rose.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2003, 08:10 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Maliejandra:
....yet with silents with barely any title cards, I get everything
i'd like to make a recommendation.....i would suggest you watch 'the general' starring buster keaton......he did all of his own stunts and he was called "the great stone-face" his films are timeless and classics.....almost all are filmed in glorious black and white.....
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top