Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2018, 03:03 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie Mae (View Post)
Sounds good! I'll update the OP to show that this weekend anytime people want to watch, they can, and for anyone else, please make movie suggestions that you'd like to do a watch/re-watch to!

Excellent, thanks Millie and I'll make sure to be here tomorrow evening
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 06-01-2018, 03:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Sounds good Gwen! See you then. I'm off for a bit! TTYL!
Old 06-01-2018, 03:26 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

is The Greatest Showman out yet anywhere to watch? Apart from the movies I mean. For musical.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:28 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It is on iTunes now!

That's how I first saw it.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:16 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

what do you guys think about watching that?
Old 06-02-2018, 03:32 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I would love to do a re-watch of that one! We can plan for next weekend as the "Drama/Musical" if you like?

We're about a half hour from starting our "Little Women" watch and I'll start at 4PM my time.

We can talk about it in here and on the thread if you like! Little Women.

EDIT:

+ Was there something you didn't understand about the film? What was that?

Why Jo refused Laurie!

+ What did you like best about the movie? Why?

The love between the sisters and their mother!

+ What did you like least about the film? Why?

Why Laurie and Jo could not end up together!

+ Who was your favorite character in the movie? Why?

Jo. Her resilience, naiveté, and growth throughout.

+ Who was your least favorite character in the film? Why?

The pompous hoity toity society girls who are very snide in their comments about Meg's clothing.

+ What were you thinking as you finished watching the film?

Why Jo and Laurie didn't end up together. Like really!

+ What part of the story told by the movie was the most powerful? Why?

Beth's illness and slight recovery as she receives the piano for Christmas. Her reaction was so perfect and captivating. To see the joy on her face.

Then some years later, her death was so relevant and her own acceptance and grace as it was happening.

+ If you had a chance to ask a character in this movie a question, what would it be?

To Jo: Why not Laurie?

To Laurie: Why not Jo?

+ If you had a chance to ask the screenwriter a question, what would it be?

See above answer.

[B]+ If you were writing the screenplay for this movie, would you have changed the ending?

See previous two answers!

+ What feelings did you share with any of the characters in the movie?

The sacrifices they made to help others. Giving away their meal at the beginning of the film to Jo selling her hair.

+ Did any of the characters in this movie make you angry? Tell us why.

Friedrich Bhaer, wish he and Jo did not meet!

+ Did you come to respect any of the characters in this movie? Who was it and why did you come to respect that character?

Mrs. March/Marmie, her stoic attitude and guidance to her daughters.

+ What would you rate this movie out of 5 stars?

Last edited by Mi||iê Måë; 06-02-2018 at 05:38 PM
Old 06-02-2018, 07:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Millie, I've sent you a PM
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 06-02-2018, 08:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I got it, no worries!
Old 06-02-2018, 09:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Little Women Re-Watch

+ Did you learn anything from this movie? If you did, what was it?

Treat others with respect, appreciate what you have, stick to your beliefs, don't give up on your dreams, be honest with yourself, be patient and you will be rewarded, family is everything.

+ Was there something you didn't understand about the film? What was that?

Why Laurie had to be proven right about his part of the failed proposal speech about Jo meeting somebody else. Jo's rejection of his proposal comes across not as her determination to find somebody else, but as a case of bad timing and her not ready to grow up; the relationship with the Professor just feels like an excuse to have Jo be with someone who she works with. A matter of convenience for the plot thread of her working away from home.

+ What did you like best about the movie? Why?

The message of sisterhood and how the family would stick together and defend each other, such as when the mother demanded that Amy be home-schooled as soon as she was beaten by the teacher.

+ What did you like least about the film? Why?

The love square of Jo, Laurie, Amy and Frederick hasn't grown on me at all just feels like an excuse to keep Jo and Laurie from spending time together in their later years.

+ Who was your favorite character in the movie? Why?

I have two: Beth and John Brooke.

+ Who was your least favorite character in the film? Why?

Amy and Frederick. Amy demands attention over and over as a child, then acts like a victim and moans when Laurie pursues her but is clearly just keeping him on a pedastal until she has him begging for her. Frederick's constant criticisms of Jo's work before she writes "Little Women" got on my nerves.

+ Did anything that happened in this movie remind you of something that has occurred in your own life or that you have seen occur to others?

Beth's attempt to do something truly good for somebody in need of help but then getting punished for it (with her sickness) is something I've seen happen too many times in various different ways in real life.

+ What were you thinking as you finished watching the film?

That my opinion from years ago still stands - great performances and lovely chemistry but still not happy with the endgame couples.

+ What part of the story told by the movie was the most powerful? Why?

Beth's devastation at "everybody going away" as she remains at home. Her role as the observer. It broke my heart and made me smile for her bravery.

+ If you had a chance to ask a character in this movie a question, what would it be?

Jo... WHAT WERE YOU THINKING??? (re: Laurie's proposal)

+ If you had a chance to ask the screenwriter a question, what would it be?

Was the quick transition to a four-year jump ahead a difficult task?

+ If you were writing the screenplay for this movie, would you have changed the ending? Explain your answer.

I've spoken about his in the LITTLE WOMEN thread various times, and yes, I'd change the ending but it wouldn't be just that - it would have to be from the halfway point in the movie, when Jo and Laurie's contact is cut off. I don't think it was dealt with very well, and it brings little sympathy to their affections for Amy and Frederick aftewards because as a viewer, I was mourning for the Jo/Laurie dynamic that centered the movie for a long time. Having said that, it's difficult to blame the movie for this, when the flaw is technically in the novel that the adaptation is based on.

+ What feelings did you share with any of the characters in the movie?

Meg and Beth - I understand that feeling of striving to be a different person in order to please others or achieve something in life. It's tough.

+ Did any of the characters in this movie make you angry? Tell us why.

I feel as if I explained this in the "characters you didn't like" section although, I'll add that Jo made me angry with her instant regret of turning down Laurie's proposal, telling him she's not interested in anybody else... Then striking up a romance with the Professor 10 minutes later. She can't help how she feels, but it just seemed hasty and insensitive to me.

+ Did you come to respect any of the characters in this movie? Who was it and why did you come to respect that character?

Susan Sarandon's character gets more appealing every time I re-watch.

+ What would you rate this movie out of 5 stars?

4 stars. Because I can't appreciate the endgame couples, I can't go any higher

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 06-03-2018, 01:15 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Nice review of the questions Gwen! I think we can agree both on our lack of love for the progression, or lack there of in the Jo/Laurie relationship and then the introduction of Frederich!
Old 06-04-2018, 01:20 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

I meant to stop by hours ago, but I'm literally shaking with a fever right now Have been ill all weekend I'm shaking as I type and I hate cramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi||iê Måë (View Post)
Nice review of the questions Gwen! I think we can agree both on our lack of love for the progression, or lack there of in the Jo/Laurie relationship and then the introduction of Frederich!
Thanks hun

Did you notice on our Re-Watch, Millie, how much younger Amy demands Jo's attention whenever she's with Laurie?

It's something I never really picked up on until now; I mean she literally says to her "Do you love Laurie more than me?" There's an innate jealousy there over Laurie. I don't think it's at all romantic at that point because Amy is really young, but she literally burns Jo's manuscript just because Jo says she's going to spend time with Laurie at a party without her. Amy's just so full of neediness and I can't believe how much I didn't notice it before

And as for Frederick ... Those scenes between him and Jo strangely felt like a different movie to me. I adore Gabriel Byrne, but the Jo/Professor relationship felt forced to me. I don't know - he made sense as her mentor, but it felt as if their whole dynamic was centered around his interest in her as a writer, above all else. Maybe it's just me but that's how I interpreted it.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 06-04-2018, 01:36 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Amy was a brat IMO.

Worse as an adult, because she became a manipulative user. Didn’t like her character progression at all.

Sorry not your well. Please rest up and get well!
Old 06-04-2018, 01:46 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

I honestly preferred Amy being played by Kirsten Dunst than Samantha Mathis. Older Amy seemed like a completely different person, and did you notice how insecure she was when she said "I do not wish to be courted by someone who is still in love with my sister"

Dunst was graced with the innocent/curious Amy and I really hated it when the teacher struck Amy I love that their mother immediately takes her out of the school and would rather her children be home-schooled than put up with violence.

I hope to be better soon and will rest as much as I can, thanks Millie
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 06-04-2018, 01:48 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I agree with that. Amy as an adult because spiteful.

So next weekends movie is Drama/Musical “The Greatest Showman”, suggestion from Rita!

I’ve updated the OP to reflect the next movie!

Anyone have suggestions for the other two drama categories, drama/crime, or drama/thriller?
Old 06-04-2018, 02:00 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi||iê Måë (View Post)
Anyone have suggestions for the other two drama categories, drama/crime, or drama/thriller?

For Drama/Crime I was thinking maybe Carlito's Way (1993) or Scarface (1983) ?
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Closed Thread   Post New Thread