Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2019, 04:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I like Coneheads and I watched My Stepmother is an Alien last week, plus Honey I Shrunk the kids is fun.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:51 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I haven’t watched Honey I Shunk the Kids in absolute YEARS that was a fave of mine growing up
Old 01-15-2019, 06:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Me too. I think I'm going to do that one.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:23 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

COMEDY/ROMANCE - Sweet Home Alabama

+ What did you like best about the movie? Why?

The perfect blend of comedy, drama and romance. It uses politics in a light/fun way. Melanie is flawed, and her cheeky drunken remarks are not without consequences. Her relationship with Jake is so involving, has survived years of separation and is deserving of its recognition in the history of cinematic love stories

+ What did you like least about the film? Why?

Some of the close-ups in comedy moments felt like slapstick, for example - when Melanie punches Mayor Hennings. Also, Jake's secret trips to New York feels like a plot hole. How on earth did Melanie's parents not find out about this through hear'say in the town? Melanie spent many years thinking he was a layabout who cared nothing for work. Clearly, she was wrong. It's just a stretch to believe that nobody contacted her about it - her friends or family. Furthermore, Melanie knew she was about to commit bigamy by marrying Andrew, yet she accepted the proposal anyway (knowing deep down that doesn't love him)? Very naughty of her.

+ Who was your favorite character in the movie? Why?

Jake Perry Hardworking, but doesn't boast about it. Loving, but rejects the idea of Melanie loving him back because he believes she deserves more than him and small town life. Just a wholesome and honest person who tries to do well in the world. Everybody should aspire to be like Jake

+ Who was your least favorite character in the film? Why?

Melanie and Andrew, sadly! I just think in terms of their decision-making process around their engagement being really hasty and based more on convenience rather than being heartfelt. Luckily, it ends before they make a huge mistake - but boy, did they get close to making that mistake.

+ Comments:

I want a sequel of Melanie and Jake's life together in the future, it could follow their daughter's journey

+ What would you rate this movie out of 5 stars?

- A near-perfect rom-com that has more depth than it gets credit for.

|||||||||||||||||

COMEDY/DRAMA - Strictly Ballroom

Baz Luhrmann has this talent for balancing ridiculous comedy moments with emotion. Also, Paul Mercurio a worthy leading man.

The basic tale of Ugly Ducking Finds Glass Slipper... I've just seen that trope too many times to feel much for it The love story between Scott and Fran was something I didn't really buy. He seemed more into her love than dance than her as a person. I think the line was blurred for him.

Barry Fife I laugh just thinking about him. I remembered Bill Hunter from Muriel's Wedding and he does a great job here of commanding scenes with his authorial voice. A master manipulator in the film and so funny. I think he's a relatable character who believes tradition is important to uphold.

Ken Railings Over the top silliness. Also, Shirley and Doug's reconciliation felt forced. Their past and present indicates how she controlled and ignored him for years.

+ Comments:

It's a good dance movie, and I love the scene where Barry tells Scott about his father's past (or his made-up version of it). Unfortunately, the love story is cliche.

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 01-16-2019, 05:01 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Great reviews Gwen! I liked Sweet Home Alabama but not enough to re-watch it often.

I've never seen Strictly Ballroom! It looks good.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Thanks

SHA is the only romantic movie that I feel perfectly balances politics with comedy. I love the scenes at the Plantation House with her gay best friend and the traditions they do in the town (the plays where they act as if they've been killed on the battlefield )

Strictly Ballroom is something I'd recommend to dance lovers Different styles are fused together and it brings Scott and Fran together. Sadly, I couldn't get into the love story I just felt that Scott, the main guy, liked her because she liked his dancing.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 01-17-2019, 06:01 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Always something new to watch, never enough time!
Old 01-18-2019, 12:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

For sure I've been thinking about Comedy/Sci-Fi (very difficult ) and I realized I would love to watch Mars Attacks! again. Just an all-round hilarious movie
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 01-18-2019, 09:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

^^ Good choice! There are a lot more out there than I think people realize in certain genres, and if in doubt, Google!

EDIT:

COMEDY/SCI-FI : Coneheads (1993)

+ What did you like best about the movie? Why? The quirkiness of it, and how Dan Ackroyd talks through the whole thing!
+ What did you like least about the film? Why? Nothing stands out really.
+ Who was your favorite character in the movie? Why? Dan Ackroyd as Beldar Conehead
+ Who was your least favorite character in the film? Why? No one stands out.
+ Comments: It's just a fun quirky comedy and they think condoms are chewing gum!

Last edited by Mi||iê Måë; 01-19-2019 at 08:50 PM
Old 01-21-2019, 02:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Good review, Millie!

COMEDY/SCI-FI - Mars Attacks!

A fun time, yet scary too. Cleverly sits on the fence between family film and horror/comedy. All of the characters get their shining moment The martians are both scary and funny.

Some of the characters were straight-up unlikable or used just for slap stick. Donald Kessler, for example. His tagged-on romance with Natalie was so unnecessary and made a mockery of her relationship with Jason. Plus, why were Ritchie's family so horrible to him? Cliche "be more like your brother" stuff.

Byron was great. Also, Rod Steiger's character (the General) was extremely logical and typically, he wasn't taken seriously until it was too late.

Kessler, most of the Norris family, the Secretary played by Martin Short who was just a fool

+ Comments:

Jack Nicholson did the dual roles so well.

- One of my childhood favorites, excellent blend of comedy and creepiness.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 01-21-2019, 07:01 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Great review!

I've updated the OP for the next weekend Genre, "COMEDY/Parody".

I can't wait to watch some parodies, of course Scary Movie comes to mind, but a few others are:

Austin Powers Trilogy
Not Another Teen Movie
Superhero Movie
30 Nights of Paranormal Activity with the Devil Inside the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
A Haunted House
Breaking Wind
Disaster Movie
Shriek If You Know What I Did Last Friday the Thirteenth
Stan Helsing
Old 01-23-2019, 01:47 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

The third one sounds good

I've just seen the 1st and 3rd Austin Powers movies so I'll either try to see the 2nd one or I'll re-watch the 3rd one, which was always my favorite

Millie, you spelt Parody wrong in the title and I refuse to change it because it's funny
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 01-23-2019, 03:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

My OCD won't let me ignore it! So I had to change it

I watched my COMEDY/Parody movie:

Shriek If You Know What I Did Last Friday The 13th

+ What did you like best about the movie? Why? The lewd jokes were just funny.
+ What did you like least about the film? Why? Well it's a parody, so there's a lot of just make fun of!
+ Who was your favorite character in the movie? Why? Tiffani Thiessan as the 'reporter'.
+ Who was your least favorite character in the film? Why? Tom Arnold as the 'mall security' cop.
+ Comments: It's not some masterpiece, not a lot of nice things about it other than that it's funny!
Old 01-30-2019, 12:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

So this weekend marks a new month in this new year. February is Romance month, and the first sub-genre is "Fantasy".

Here are some suggestions:

Twilight Saga (This is my choice!)
Beautiful Creatures
The Lake House
The Time Traveler's Wife
Ella Enchanted
Beastly
Edward Scissorhands
Ghost
Practical Magic
Old 02-03-2019, 01:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I watched The Twilight Saga yesterday for the themed watch. Love the movies, and not sure what I can say that I've not already said about them.

I love Bella and Edward's relationship evolution. Not a fan of Jacob in New Moon/Eclipse for his actions towards Bella but he seems forgiven by BDPT1/PT2.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread