Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2018, 03:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

^^ No, I just did because I could.

EDIT:

So the OP has been revamped to show all the months and suggested genres. If anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Gwen and I decided to change the way we choose films. Rather than one being suggested and we all watch, we thought it best that you choose your own film and we only require that it matches the suggested genre.

For next weekend, the genre is "DRAMA/CRIME" and I personally am looking at watching "Public Enemies", "Black Mass", and/or "Donnie Brasco".

You can watch more than one movie to review too, it's not limited, this is just more of a guide!

All feedback is welcome!

Lastly, have fun and enjoy your watches!

Last edited by Mi||iê Måë; 06-11-2018 at 04:58 PM
Old 06-12-2018, 12:21 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

The OP Everything clarified well and I think we did right, Millie, to change the Watch/Re-Watch from a specific Film to a specific Genre.

It's not always easy for everyone to access the same Film at the same time.

I'm probably gonna choose either Donnie Brasco or Scarface for the Drama/Crime option this weekend.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 06-12-2018, 01:26 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Sounds good. Knowing me I'll watch all! Just because I love Johnny Depp!
Old 06-12-2018, 03:56 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

I love Johnny Depp but dislike mob movies so much that not even his presence can make those watchable for me
Old 06-12-2018, 04:48 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

I'm a huge Depp fan but there's still a few movies I've not seen of his -- Black Mass being one of them.

I did like Public Enemies
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 06-12-2018, 07:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedrum (View Post)
I love Johnny Depp but dislike mob movies so much that not even his presence can make those watchable for me
Well, the "DRAMA/CRIME" genre doesn't have to mean a mob style movie watch, that's just a favourite style film in that genre for me.

Others could include:

Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill VOL 1/2
The Shawshank Redemption
Catch Me If You Can
The Silence of the Lambs

Just to give you some other ideas. The point is that the story includes a crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4brathan&brucas
I'm a huge Depp fan but there's still a few movies I've not seen of his -- Black Mass being one of them.

I did like Public Enemies
I like true crime movies that feature a real person and their life story in how their crimes changed them and others around them.

Black Mass was a good watch the first time I saw it but I can't remember a lot, so I might definitely watch that one, plus the cast is great!
Old 06-13-2018, 07:37 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

It might be crime drama I can't stand because none of those movies sound appetising to me. How about The Resident, the movie I mean.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:51 AM
Fan Forum Hero

The one with Hilary Swank and Jeffrey Dean Morgan? That includes a crime, so it would be perfect! And a great movie!
Old 06-14-2018, 02:35 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

So I watch that and you guys are watching Public Enemies?
Old 06-14-2018, 07:19 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yes I love that movie too, also, even though we may watch different movies, some can still choose to watch more than one.

So personally, knowing you're watching "The Resident", I may choose to watch as well after my movie choice, just because!
Old 06-16-2018, 02:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

So I'm planning on doing my move watch tonight.

First choice is "Black Mass" and I'll likely watch "The Resident" too because I love that movie! Lee Pace!

EDIT:

Black Mass (2015)

+ Did you learn anything from this movie? If you did, what was it?

Umm from a mob movie? Crime doesn't pay? I mean really. Well other than anyone can become corrupt no matter how honourable their intentions.

+ What is the message of this movie? Do you agree or disagree with it?

The message is everyone lives for themselves and is always trying to put another guy down to outlive a situation. I mean the movie opens with one of Bulger's right hand men confessing to cops.

+ Was there something you didn't understand about the film? What was that?

How the police could cater to certain demands just because Whitey Bulger was an supposed FBI informant. He never was, it was more how the FBI were in Whitey's pocket. I don't understand how the cops couldn't see through that. But they were corrupt anyway.

+ What did you like best about the movie? Why?

Certain events in the timeline were changed for entertainment value, like always but I did love how it told the story with as much truth as it did.

+ What did you like least about the film? Why?

It was hard to watch the scene of Whitey's 6 year old son die from what's known as Reye's Syndrome (a severe reaction to aspirin). His wife Lindsay Cyr portrayed by Dakota Johnson was an amazing performance but I never like seeing young kids like that die on screen.

+ Who was your favorite character in the movie? Why?

Linday Cyr, out of all Whitey's men, she was the only one to talk back and get in his face when he needed it.

+ Who was your least favorite character in the film? Why?

FBI Agent Charles McGuire as portrayed by Kevin Bacon. He wanted to convict him for crimes but he was shady too! The hypocrisy bothered me. Which is just fine as he wasn't real and was made up for the film.

+ Did anything that happened in this movie remind you of something that has occurred in your own life?

Just the main message that flows throughout, live for yourself cause no one else is going to give you anything unless you either work for it or take it.

+ What were you thinking as you finished watching the film?

How much was truth and how much was fictionalized for entertainment purposes!

So I sought out the truth and found this: BLACK MASS (2015) Comparison of the Film to Fact

+ What part of the story told by the movie was the most powerful? Why?

The overall legacy of his crimes, the ending. Did he or didn't he kill more than the 19 they wanted to convict him for and the 11 he was charged for.

+ If you had a chance to ask a character in this movie a question, what would it be?

I would have wanted to know from his wife Lindsay, how much did she really know or think she knew about him and his crimes.

+ If you had a chance to ask the screenwriter a question, what would it be?

Why add the completely new character of FBI agent McGuire when there was already a team of real people to have worked with.

+ If you were writing the screenplay for this movie, would you have changed the ending?

No, it's based on truth so the only change that would appease people was conviction on all indictments.

+ What feelings did you share with any of the characters in the movie?

Wanting to fit into the gang so to speak is reminiscent of just wanting to fit in to the popular crowed, so that is the relation I can understand with the characters. They did things to stay on Whitey's good side.

+ Did any of the characters in this movie make you angry? Tell us why.

Well, yeah, I mean they murdered people so that in general made me angry.

+ Did you come to respect any of the characters in this movie? Who was it and why did you come to respect that character?

Again, Lindsay Cyr, Whitey's wife, because she stood up to him when everyone else just did as he said or cowered in his presence.

+ What would you rate this movie out of 5 stars?

I loved the telling of this story and I like true crime stories, so 4 out of 5 for me.

Last edited by Mi||iê Måë; 06-16-2018 at 04:22 PM
Old 06-17-2018, 10:31 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Great review, Millie! I still haven't seen BLACK MASS

I've just finished watching CARLITO'S WAY and SCARFACE so I will post two separate reviews soon
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 06-17-2018, 10:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I also watched Public Enemies and The Resident and will post those reviews later as well!
Old 06-17-2018, 10:45 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Public Enemies surprised me. I think the magnetism of Depp and Cotillard together made it so good
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 06-17-2018, 08:28 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I agree with that. They were a great on-screen duo.

Public Enemies

I loved the era it takes place in. The clothes the cars the fashion. Just a great overall visual.

The inconsistency of the true timeline of events. They changed the order in which some of the well known old school crooks died from Baby Face Nelson to Pretty Boy Floyd.

Dillinger of course. He's the star of the film. But he's a lot smarter than I think people give him credit for. That's not to say I admire him but I do respect that he committed the robberies in the beginning without ever firing a gun. It wasn't until later when things were becoming more dangerous that some of his cohorts started firing, and the response was to fire in defence.

Overall the timeline of events was changed but it's still a great biopic on the crimes of Dillenger.

Four out of five stars for me on this one.

The Resident

I liked the realism of the day to day of the main character Juliet Devereaux (Hilary Swank). Seeing certain scenes in the ER where she is a doctor were in your face and real and not just implied.

I found the ending to be rather abrupt. I thought it would have been nice to see a flash forward to a year later to show where Juliet is now after those events.

Second, knowing her ex boyfriend cheated on her and then she takes him back after a romantic dinner. Even though Lee Pace is hot.

I loved Christopher Lee's character of Max's (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) grandfather, August. He seems gruff and grumpy but he supplies Juliet with a welcome gift basket. Very sweet!

Three out of five stars on this one for me and that's mainly because of the abrupt ending really. I was left with a , 'That's it?' feeling.

Hope you guys enjoyed your movies and look forward to your reviews!
Closed Thread   Post New Thread