Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2006, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Fan

This or That - Movie Board Version (READ THIRD POST) New Question 8/03

Romantic comedy! I'm an extremely romantic person! I like those films like the ones with Doris Day and Rock Hudson,BTW I also like Horrors like Scream or Thrillers.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:23 PM
Addicted Fan

I like Thrillers because Thrillers usually combine a multitude of genre's in them. A little horror, a little mystery, a little action, and a little romance. Sometimes they can even have a little politics or a little sci fi. So thrillers are my choice.
as I watch the walls descend
as I watch the walls descend like stars
SweetLisaLisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:38 PM
Master Fan

Hmm...well, the thread SORT of exists...

Anyway, here's the Movie Board version rules:

Only the mods can come up with questions, and we'd like as many people as possible to answer the question before we move on. Also, don't just choose one or the other - please tell us why you picked one over the other.

Thanks!

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Master Fan

So here's the question - which do you prefer, seeing a film the first weekend it comes out, or waiting until it's been out a while and you get a smaller, more intimate crowd?

My LJ for Movies
Old 06-01-2006, 08:41 PM
Elite Fan

Seeing the film when it first comes out because for a number of reasons. You can witness first hand what its like, and not let other's opinions predetermine whether you will or will not like the movie. Not only that, but I love seeing movies with a large audience.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:45 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I also like going when it usually first opens........I love the big crowds, and hearing everyone's reaction to certain parts in the film. And I like to then see how others who've gone later have taken it. Though, sometimes I wouldn't mind going again after it's been out a few weeks to just enjoy it again when it's a bit more quiet.
goodbreakingbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:49 PM
Master Fan

See - my problem is the theaters are too noisy when they're crowded (and laughter can hide some of the better dialogue), and even if I've stood in line for an hour I still can't find sitting near the people I came with because so many other people arrived first.

I'd much rather wait a week or two - so long as I don't miss it, completely!

My LJ for Movies
Old 06-01-2006, 09:15 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I will admit, if there's lots of young kids/babies, that would drive me insane, since I'd miss a lot.
goodbreakingbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:08 PM
Fan Forum Star

I usually wait awhile, maybe three weeks or even a month when the movie comes out in theater before I see it. Im one of those people who dont like big crowds. I try to go during the early evening before the school kids get out because they can be the worst sometimes, and I would hate to spend 8 dollars to hear kids yelling and being immature.
My LJ
AutumnColorsღ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Master Fan

*nods* I mean, I want the kids to see the films, but like the two of you I can't take the chatting, cell phones, laughing - it's distracting and youngsters tend to be the worst (although not always). They also tend to go see the films in the first week or so.

My LJ for Movies
Old 06-03-2006, 11:06 AM
Elite Fan

Well if the movie is a Horror Flick or Action Flick. I really enjoy the theatre for the whole surround sound experience. Like for instance The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (remake) TRAILER. I can't remember what movie we were actually there to see, but when the trailer started off, the whole theatre was completey dark and all you could hear was heavy breathing (from Beil) and running and BAM, that chainsaw cranked up before anything was ever on the screen and I thought the whole theatre was going to jump out of their seats. I think the whole theatre screamed, cause it just came out of nowhere and it was so unexpected and you just can't get that at home unless you have surround sound. Then when we went to see it in theatres, we loved it, but when we bought it and watched it at home, we were just so glad we watched it in theatres first, because in theatres it was so much better. If that makes sense.
***BLONDIE*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 01:22 PM
Master Fan

I usually wait a while because I prefer the smaller crowd. There's alot less noise from the audience and you also get a better choice of where you sit
Old 06-03-2006, 01:27 PM
Master Fan

See, BLONDIE just reminded me of when I watched A Crying Game in a crowded theater and the secret was revealed - the whole audience gasped then said, "Ohhhhhhhhhhh!" all at the same time. It was fabulous, very funny, and I wouldn't have gotten that experience with a smaller crowd.

BUT - overall I prefer smaller crowds (if any crowd at all), like Gosling_Fan.

My LJ for Movies
Old 06-03-2006, 07:37 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrrshrr
See, BLONDIE just reminded me of when I watched A Crying Game in a crowded theater and the secret was revealed - the whole audience gasped then said, "Ohhhhhhhhhhh!" all at the same time. It was fabulous, very funny, and I wouldn't have gotten that experience with a smaller crowd.
thats funny, and yes I like seeing a horror movie with a decent amount of people in the theater just to hear their actions, it can be quite funny and make you feel less scared. But sometimes it can get annoying also when someone is just screaming at every scene there is, especially when it isnt that scary... Im just going to stick with the small crowd still
My LJ
AutumnColorsღ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 11:44 PM
Master Fan

Well this normally isn't an issue for me because the movies that I watch are a bit more niche, so the crowd's never that big but anyway. Yeah like what Ami says it goes both ways - a bigger crowd, the audience reacts with you (this reminds me of Match Point [excellent film, by the way] where JRM drops the wine glass and this girl actually screamed and the whole theatre laughed, it was funny) - but with a smaller crowd, you do get better seats, and there's lesser chance of a baby crying/cellphone going off/people chewing/other crap.

On the whole however I prefer smaller crowds. I like my peace and quiet when watching a movie - to escape from everything else.