Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2005, 12:42 PM
Extreme Fan

Million Dollar Baby (2004) #1

This film is one of the most stunning and beautifully acted films I've ever seen. Clint Eastwood is absolutely flawless. Freeman is wonderful and Swank just took my breath away. She never falls short.

Anyone else see it ?
Old 01-13-2005, 01:12 PM
Elite Fan

The critics are crazy over it but I haven't seen it. I never liked boxing movies much. This is has something about boxing women, right?

But wait, Morgan Freeman is in this???
Old 01-13-2005, 01:28 PM
Extreme Fan

It's a boxing movie but believe me it's a lot more then that. I never liked boxing movies either but this focuses more on relationships rather then the actual boxing (which would've been extremely boring). Hilary Swank is a female boxer looking for Clint Eastwood's character to take her under his belt and instill in her the qualities of a top contender.

Morgan Freeman is kind of like Clint's right-hand man. He's in this and is wonderful.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:33 AM
Master Fan

Clint Eastwood work is amazing, he keeps put out great masterpieces, and I can't wait to see this one, The trailer for the movie was just awesome....... Counting down... From what I heard this is the movie to see....
capesidefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 01:00 PM
Addicted Fan

My friend dragged me out of two classes to go see this at the Angelika. It was good, but I just didn't find it all too amazing, and it bored me at certain points. The acting was amazing. The ending was well done, and I do admit it was a tear jerker. But other than that, I just don't think it was THAT amazing. But that could just be me. heh.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:28 PM
New Fan

Million dollar baby

It is as great as the critics say it is. It will knock you on your a**. Best movie I've seen in years. SEE IT! It's got Oscar written all over it.
MadJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 12:46 PM
Obsessed Fan

I saw this again (just so it is fresh in my mind) and I think that it probably SHOULD get Best Picture over the Aviator simply because it is a better story in terms of its focus and what it is trying to say.

There is a kind of spolierish event that happens toward the end... But believe everyone else when they say this movie ISN'T about boxing and more about the relationship between Clint Eastwood and Hilary Swank's characters more than anything else.

In fact, I was pleasantly surprised that this addresses TRTD issue considering the case they make for it in this story is compelling and just as complex as it is in real life.
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 03:31 PM
Master Fan

I have to agree it is a great movie and I don't really care for boxing movies. I've never seen one Rocky film. Hilary was great in this and I was glad she won the GG. I guess we can't really talk too much about the ending or anything right? Oh well. If your looking for a recommendation I give it 3 out of 4 stars.

Icon
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 03:05 PM
Supreme Fan

Best movie of the year. The Aviator isn't even in the same stratosphere as this.

The only reason people think it's a boxing movie is because that was intentionally the summary given by Clint Eastwood who specifically asked that the last 1/3 of the movie is not discussed by the critics, due to its spoilery nature and the fact it is politically charged.

Forget about it being a boxing movie. It's a movie about adult people making adult decisions, and they happen to be involved in boxing in some way. That's it.

It asks some really difficult questions about life. When we have achieved our goals, is that enough? What is the love of a family? How do we spend our entire adult lives searching for one thing and then when we find it, can we let go of it with a grace and dignity?

Beautiful film.
Old 01-29-2005, 05:57 PM
Master Fan

this movie was really good but really depressing. i definitley didn't expect what happened in the end to happen... it was a shock to me. i think it'll take the academy award and it's well deserved. i loved morgan freeman in it.
your_konstantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 11:19 PM
Extreme Fan

I definitely think MDB and The Aviator will battle it out for Best Picture. Hopefully MDB will come out victorious. Glad to see Clint got in for Actor as well as Director at the Oscars.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:41 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymike4
I definitely think MDB and The Aviator will battle it out for Best Picture. Hopefully MDB will come out victorious. Glad to see Clint got in for Actor as well as Director at the Oscars.
I completely agree.

I think MDB is in fact the better picture and worthy of Best Picture compared to The Aviator.

The Aviator is a good film and Leo is phenomenal... BUT as a whole package, aka the film itself, MDB is just better overall in terms of direction, acting, pacing, writing, etc. as well as subject matter and more importantly, what it has to say about that subject matter towards the end.
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 04:24 PM
Loyal Fan

I had never heard of this film before i went to see it so i didnt kno what to expect but the film was great. I thought i knew what was gona happen then they shocked me right at the end
Natz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 11:50 PM
Obsessed Fan

this just in....from imdb.com....today's date...

Clint Eastwood KO's Directors Guild

In something of a surprise victory, Clint Eastwood took home the Directors Guild award this weekend for the up-and-coming boxing drama Million Dollar Baby. It was the strong signifier that Baby, which just opened wide this weekend on the heels of seven Oscar nominations, is becoming a force to be reckoned with at this year's Academy Awards, where it's up for Best Picture, Actor, Actress, and Director among others. It was also the first major stumbling block for Martin Scorsese, whose The Aviator, with 11 Oscar nominations, is considered by many to be the movie to beat this year. Most everyone was considering this year to be the one for Scorsese, who has yet to win an Academy Award, and his surprise DGA loss puts a damper on the upcoming fortunes for The Aviator this awards season. While the DGA isn't a 100% reliable predictor, it's a pretty darn accurate barometer of who's going to win the Best Director Oscar, as only six of its past 56 winners haven't gone on to take home the Academy Award. Adding insult to injury, Scorsese has been nominated for the DGA award six times but has never won; Eastwood has been nominated three times, and won previously for Unforgiven.
mukooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 06:38 PM
Extreme Fan

I'm thrilled that Clint got the DGA! That's huge for him and well-deserved! Before the Globes, the Oscar seemed like it could go to no one but Scorsese but Clint has really moved ahead in this race. His work is phenomenal and I could think of nobody else who is more deserving this year.