Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2019, 03:04 PM
Elite Fan

Midsommar (2019)

Old 07-13-2019, 06:20 PM
Moderator Support Team

I just saw this this afternoon. I loved Hereditary.

I'm still processing this one. There was a lot about this I liked. I'm always down for an Ari Aster film. A lot of cringy and unexpected moments. But I would recommend it if you're wanting to watch a real psychological bender.
Elle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 02:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Adding this thread to the Board Guide. Thanks for starting

Elle, glad you liked it! I do love psychological thrillers (films which make you think rather than spelling it all out for you) so I'll keep this on my watch list.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Crystal Clear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 04:38 PM
Obsessed Fan

Thanks for starting this.
I saw this a few weeks ago too. It was very thought provoking. I would love to have a discussion of it with more people.
CatFoley16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:30 AM
Moderator Support Team

I'm lucky I caught it. My town only showed it for 2 weeks before moving it out of our theater.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:51 PM
Obsessed Fan

That is lucky. I think it was around where I live for about three weeks before it was taken out.
What do you think of the story overall, like its pacing, major plot points, etc?
Old 08-02-2019, 09:42 AM
Moderator Support Team

It's a movie that I sort of liked at first, and the more I thought about it the more I enjoyed it. I think it was a difficult movie to sit through with some of the graphic nature of the scenes, but the more I stewed the more I enjoyed it.

The pacing is slow. This is a slow burn movie, and I enjoy those. I think, imo, that horror is all about the slow burn.

The acting I thought was pretty solid. The plot points, well, I felt like were somewhat of a retelling of The Wicker Man. But I thought this was much better done.

One of the things I really enjoyed about this was how it made you uneasy about the daytime. Most times when a horror movie flips to a daytime scene, you relax. With this festival never really having a night time, it was hard to know when to untense.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:40 PM
Obsessed Fan

I agree the slow burn of this was great and I can definitely see the comparisons to The Wicker Man. I liked this one much more than that too.

I also have been highlighting the daytime aspect of this too, like it's so gorgeously shot that you are totally blindsided by the scares and the uneasy feelings.

I liked too that there weren't a lot of, if any jump scares, like this movie was much more about the near constant feeling of dread and not knowing what to think about your circumstances. You felt that with the characters a lot of the time.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:24 AM
Moderator Support Team

I love when a movie is scary strictly because it's...scary. Not things coming around corners and loud noises. Just mentally disturbing. This movie has that in spades.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:14 PM
Obsessed Fan

Yeah the real life things like that are much scarier than a boogeyman coming after you for example.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:31 PM
Moderator Support Team

That's one great thing about this movie. There really was no paranormal element. Nothing happened that couldn't actually happen to you in everyday life.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:47 PM
Master Fan

LightYears is offline   Reply With Quote
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top