Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2006, 01:36 PM
Elite Fan

Loving Annabelle (2006) #1

Has anyone seen this movie? It's currently showing at various filmfestivals around the US.

It's a movie about a Catholic boarding school where a female teacher gets involved with one of her female students.

The movie also has a MySpace where you can watch videoclips of the movie and interviews with the actress and writer of the movie: Loving Annabelle MySpace

They currently have a game running up. If they can get 15,000 Friends to their MySpace, they will do a free screening (just once) on their MySpace of the movie for the people who won't be able to see the movie, until it is released on DVD, which is scheduled for October.

So more Loving Annabelle fans around?!
*Lethe's Bramble* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:38 PM
Loyal Fan

i am
{.. I love summer.. women wear so little! .. }
zofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:54 PM
Addicted Fan

It sounds good. I would love to see it

Angie
Buffy/Angel, Pacey/Joey, Max/Liz, Brian/Justin, Charlie/Claire, Nancy/Hartigan, Wolverine/Rogue, Erik/Christine, Jack/Elizabeth, Mason/George, Mal/Kaylee Chiana/John, Peter/Claire, Daniel/Betty, Doctor/Rose, Bill/Sookie, Riddick/Jack, House/Cameron, Belle/Rumpelstiltskin
ANGELforBUFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:12 PM
Master Fan

This is something I would enjoy I think.
Merlin_Bodhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 05:00 PM
Addicted Fan

Heres about it on IMDB

Loving Annabelle

Angie
Buffy/Angel, Pacey/Joey, Max/Liz, Brian/Justin, Charlie/Claire, Nancy/Hartigan, Wolverine/Rogue, Erik/Christine, Jack/Elizabeth, Mason/George, Mal/Kaylee Chiana/John, Peter/Claire, Daniel/Betty, Doctor/Rose, Bill/Sookie, Riddick/Jack, House/Cameron, Belle/Rumpelstiltskin
ANGELforBUFFY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:34 AM
Loyal Fan

Thanks for that Angie!
{.. I love summer.. women wear so little! .. }
zofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:49 AM
Elite Fan

Maybe I should tell some folks about this movie over on the GLBT thread on the Communities board
Old 06-16-2006, 10:48 AM
Part-Time Fan

i cant wait to see this . it was also playing in canada at the gay film festival here in toronto it was sold out. does anyone know when it will be on dvd
kelly/brit fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:25 PM
Master Fan

The first post says October.
I made my icon.
BepperGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:31 PM
Master Fan

So...in another community this film sparked a huge debate.

I'm from the land of the tolerant, and I love seeing real romance portrayed in film, regardless of whether it's gay/lesbian/het/whatever...so long as the relationship is appropriate.

Now, this isn't a criticism of the film which I haven't seen yet (but am looking forward to), but I am concerned with a specific message being sent (and again, it wouldn't matter what the gender of the couple was if they had this dynamic):

What do you all think of a relationship where a person in authority gets involved with someone they are supposed to be responsible for?

Now, I'm one who tends to be drawn to films if they're controversial, so I'm not saying I think the film is bad or has a bad message. It just reminds me of the late 60s, in a way - we'd vote for any black candidate simply because they were black and it would be progressive. So, does that mean that even though the relationship is unhealthy by definition (someone in authority taking advantage of his/her relationship with someone s/he is responsible for, regardless of who started it - if this had been a male teacher with a young girl it certainly would appear less acceptable) that it's okay because we need to support all gay/lesbian/transgendered relationships, regardless, in order to further civil rights?

It's an interesting question...

/

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 02:28 PM
Elite Fan

Oeh yes debate! me likey

So anyways, to answer your question, and I'll also put it in blue cos it's kinda spoilery.

Why should we root for this couple and not if it were have been a male teacher and a female student?! Well, first of, cos the student pursues the teacher and not vica versa. (I've read spoilers so yeah, this is fact). Also, in the movie, the student, Annabelle, helps the teacher, Simone, come to terms with herself and her sexuality. Also, the girl is very mature for her age and maybe even more than the teacher, emotionally I mean.

As in my personal opinion, I think it's ok as long as both parties are fully aware of what they are doing.

And well, I mean, 17 isn't as bad as 14 or god forbid, 12. Then it would be wrong. But a 17-year-old with someone who's like 30 or something, I don't think it's _that_ bad.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:38 PM
Fan Forum Star

Interesting plot for the movie, Im going to check out the link with the clips and see if it catches my interest.
My LJ
AutumnColorsღ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 06:18 PM
Master Fan

Yeah, I have to agree that I don't think 17 is bad, and I'm aware from things people who've seen the movie who starts what, but I honestly wish the one protagonist were older.

But it's certainly less relevent than if she were 14. I think it's because I know someone who went through something similar and it's screwed up her entire life. Frankly, even though the teacher didn't initiate things, she should have stopped them (my friend was a couple of years younger when it happened). So I guess I take it personally.

But that's not going to stop me from seing the film - and I'll probably really like it because like you, I love debate and I love films that make me think!

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:09 AM
Elite Fan

Yeah I can get your perspective. Normally, I'd say no to these kind of things, but when it's really love and has a happy ending (not that I'm implying the movie has one ), I think it's ok.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:20 PM
Dedicated Fan

Can anybody spoil the movie for me, cause I haven't seen it yet, but I want to. But I can't find it anywhere, so someone please spoil away.
No u don't know what it's like when nothing feels alright
U don't know what it's like to be like me
hottie87_loves_al&dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread