Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2006, 04:43 PM
Obsessed Fan

The Lake House (2006) #1

This latest Hollywood remake of the Korean film "Siworae" stars Speed alumni Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock:

TRAILER

Summary: A lonely doctor (Sandra Bullock) who once occupied an unusual lakeside home begins exchanging love letters with its newest resident, a frustrated architect (Keanu Reeves). When they discover that they're actually living two years apart, they must try to unravel the mystery behind their extraordinary romance before it's too late. -- Internet Movie Database

Release Date: June 16, 2006

This film has a lot of potential negatives going against it such as it being a remake of a well received Asian film and the pairing of Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock which will be ripe for critics and naysayers to jump all over.

However, if it is anything like "Il Mare" (Siwoare)... It should have not just romance fans swooning, but sci-fi fans as well since a major part of the storyline involves parallel timelines and what is called "Magical Realism" where the audience just accepts extraordinary events as common place.

I usually don't like romantic dramas/comedies, but I am willing to give this one a chance because it does have an extra layer to it which hopefully will make it rise above the cliched formula which plagues most romantic movies made by Hollywood.
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:30 PM
Master Fan

Hmm...I can see why this concept would be successful for a Korean film, given their cultural heritage with mystical stories (which this sort of falls under), and I thoroughly enjoyed the pairing of Ssandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves in Speed...

But I'm concerned because whenever you have pairing magic in a US film and you try to recreate it, it generally doesn't work. Still, I'll give this film a try, at the very least on DVD.

Thanks for the thread!

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:43 PM
Master Fan

I can't wait for this movie to come out! I am a huge Sandra Bullock fan and love the fact that she has paired up with Keanu Reeves again. Weren't they cute in Speed? I don't quite get how the premise of the film is going to work, but we'll see. Does anyone know the name of the song played in the trailer? I thought it was by the band Keane, but wasn't sure.
Lonely Smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:52 PM
Extreme Fan

I think this movie looks really good, I want to see it.
It's real Sara, you and me. It's real

Mary-Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:58 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Smile
I can't wait for this movie to come out! I am a huge Sandra Bullock fan and love the fact that she has paired up with Keanu Reeves again. Weren't they cute in Speed? I don't quite get how the premise of the film is going to work, but we'll see. Does anyone know the name of the song played in the trailer? I thought it was by the band Keane, but wasn't sure.
"Somewhere Only We Know" by Keane.

I can't wait for this movie, just because I love the idea and well I really can't wait to see Keanu/Sandra (together) again!
Elusive One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:08 PM
Elite Fan

This movie looks so good. The preview was extremely intriguing, but I was a little disappointed because its almost like they told most of the plot in the promo. But we'll see!
Old 05-31-2006, 09:41 PM
Master Fan

I am looking forward to this movie so much that my wallpaper on my computer is that very picture.

I love Sandra and Keanu, and I think they have great chemistry together.
Keanu is so under rated sometimes.
Merlin_Bodhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:26 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin_Bodhi
I am looking forward to this movie so much that my wallpaper on my computer is that very picture.
You and me both. I got the wallpaper and icons. My livejournal even has the layout devoted to it. lol This movie has been on the top of my must see list, as short as that list is, for almost a year now. Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves were great in speed. Hopefully they can recapture some of that chemistry in this movie. Plus I'm a big sucker for angsty love stories so I'll be watching this one on opening day.

Cassiel: If you'd known this was going to happen, would you have done it?
Seth: I would rather have had one breath of her hair, one kiss from her mouth, one touch of her hand, than eternity without it. ONE.
- City of Angels
Clewless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:23 AM
Part-Time Fan

I cannot wait for this movie to come out!!!I really love Sandra and I think that she and Keanu are great together!!!!!
satine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 03:06 PM
Master Fan

I have decided I am using either a Keanu icon or a Sandra icon until I can see this movie.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:37 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by othbaby
This movie looks so good. The preview was extremely intriguing, but I was a little disappointed because its almost like they told most of the plot in the promo. But we'll see!
IF it follows "Il Mare" closely, you won't be disappointed as what is in the trailer is only half the story. Literally

I recommend renting the original Korean film... Yes, it has subtitles... Not just because "The Lake House" is coming out, but also so you can see the exquisite cinametrography on display in "Il Mare" as the city itself where the story takes place (Il Mare takes place in an apartment complex instead of a lakeside house) becomes a secondary character in its own right.
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 03:44 PM
New Fan

Cool Concept

Wow, the concept of this movie is definately great. I found a site online that lets you live the concept, in a way:

http://www.tellittothefuture.com

i thought it was neat!
UWHusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWHusky
Wow, the concept of this movie is definately great. I found a site online that lets you live the concept, in a way:

http://www.tellittothefuture.com

i thought it was neat!
Actually that website is part of the offical "The Lake House" website. There's a link to it at thelakehousemovie.com. I really don't think they'll keep my note for 25 years, but its a neat concept all the same.

As for renting Il Mare. I thought about it, but I think I'd rather see it after I watch the lake house so I won't get spoiled.

Seth: I would rather have had one breath of her hair, one kiss from her mouth, one touch of her hand, than eternity without it. ONE.
- City of Angels
Old 06-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Master Fan

I am with Mecca, I dont know if I want to rent the original, although I am curious.

Can I call you Mecca?
Old 06-01-2006, 04:20 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin_Bodhi
Can I call you Mecca?
Sure. If you want to.

- City of Angels
Reply   Post New Thread