Old 08-04-2019, 07:30 AM
Moderator Support Team

Oh I have to watch it
Elle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 02:45 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

This screencap on the trailer for Ju-On: The Final Curse below is creeping the hell out of me (I'm sat in the dark looking at this)

The unhinged jaw aspect of victims in The Grudge series has always scared me -

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Crystal Clear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:32 PM
Moderator Support Team

No but seriously that shot is scaring me
Elle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleBelle (View Post)

No but seriously that shot is scaring me
Mission accomplished then!
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 09-20-2019, 04:08 PM
Master Fan

LightYears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

^ Ehh.

That director summarising the movie: "The house has been grudged." That's not a word

So Demian Bechir? Good actor He was also in The Nun.

The preview photos don't impress me. Looks more like a zombie than Kayako
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 10-24-2019, 02:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Sparing a thought for this tragic couple -

Still annoys me how quick and careless Doug's death was handled.

Leaves her a note and then it just cuts to him going in the house?

Didn't seem very smart of him
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 04-13-2020, 11:21 AM
Loyal Fan

Soooo I just watched the newest 2020 film. It was a little underwhelming tbh. It focused on too many people for there to be much character development to care about when anyone died. Even the main character didn't have THAT much screen time. I found myself thinking "oh well" as opposed to cheering on anyone. I'm gonna need to go back and watch the first 3 English adaptions, I don't even think I've seen the 3rd.

I did like the fact that they tried to fit it in the time slot of I think the first two films, I just don't understand why they have SOOO many american's working in this Japanese home in Japan. I guess it's cuz the Japanese know it's cursed and don't wanna attempt the house haha, having lived in Japan that actually makes most sense.
SailorKrypton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 03:32 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorKrypton (View Post)
Soooo I just watched the newest 2020 film. It was a little underwhelming tbh. It focused on too many people for there to be much character development to care about when anyone died. Even the main character didn't have THAT much screen time. I found myself thinking "oh well" as opposed to cheering on anyone. I'm gonna need to go back and watch the first 3 English adaptions, I don't even think I've seen the 3rd.

I did like the fact that they tried to fit it in the time slot of I think the first two films, I just don't understand why they have SOOO many american's working in this Japanese home in Japan. I guess it's cuz the Japanese know it's cursed and don't wanna attempt the house haha, having lived in Japan that actually makes most sense.
Oh I completely forgot they had another remake in the works. Did it make any references to the Sarah Michelle Gellar or Amber Tamblyn films (1 +2)? Were any of those characters mentioned?
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 04-17-2020, 03:25 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Clear (View Post)
Oh I completely forgot they had another remake in the works. Did it make any references to the Sarah Michelle Gellar or Amber Tamblyn films (1 +2)? Were any of those characters mentioned?
The only character mentioned was Detective Nakagawa (I think his name was). It takes place in 2005/2006.
SailorKrypton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 04:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorKrypton (View Post)
The only character mentioned was Detective Nakagawa (I think his name was). It takes place in 2005/2006.
I see, thanks

Was Nakagawa the main detective who died in the bathtub? He should've been kept alive until at least the sequel. The actor was good
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 08-05-2020, 07:49 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

I recently did a full watch of Ju-On: Origins (it's a 6-episode show that refers to itself as being the genesis of how The Grudge movie series began) and this has taught me to watch things for myself instead of trusting critics.

I have to give it a huge applause for being daring in a way that NONE of the Grudge movies has been before in terms of depicting gore, violence and sex.

There is a scene in Ju-On: Black Ghost that shows an attempt to remove a fetus from a womb that is somewhat similar to (but less gory than) a scene in episode 4 of this series.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised by this series. It's a really strong prequel to the story.

I feel as if people only rated it low because it doesn't focus on the original Grudge family - Kayako and Toshio. This is NOT fair and people were similarly mean to Ju-On: White Ghost even though that was a fantastic addition to the series with lots of strong sub-plots combining together to give a strong basis for the curse.

I would definitely recommend this series on Netflix. Be warned, however: there are some graphic depictions of killings and sexual assault.

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 11-23-2020, 02:33 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

^ Holy hell I forgot I posted that pic, I just scared myself whilst scrolling down

Anyway, onto a less funny and intelligent installment in the series - THE GRUDGE [2020] Get ready for my rant below this image...

I think I'm in the majority when I say that 2020's remake of Ju-On/The Grudge is just... Bad.

Now, this isn't about hating on American remakes of Japanese movies. Take note: my favorite horror movie of all time is 2002's THE RING (directed by Gore Verbinski) and I very much enjoyed/was creeped out by 2004's THE GRUDGE starring Sarah Michelle Gellar.

This is purely and simply about the way in which this newest remake/prequel/sequel (whatever the hell it's supposed to be, I'm honestly not sure) takes the entire point out of the original story by removing the story from its original location and basing the "haunted house" in America. Dear oh dear... There is no justification for this, and the new house is such a typical looking all-American family home that has no ties to anything.

The villain/threat/ghost is no longer scary. They throw in cheap jump scares and try to make up for it by using crime/sepia tone cinematography in an effort to make the film seem creepy and stylish.

Add to that how the timeline jumps all over the place, the actors barely depict any emotional investment in their characters - all of whom feel irrelevant and bland. I didn't care for the fates of anyone in the cast - I mean, how bad does a horror movie based on a creepy Japanese tale have to be for the audience to have zero sympathy for any of the victims?

Lyn Shaye makes her 1000th appearance in an American supernatural horror film. Enough said.

Oh and the final scene tries to be all suspenseful and shocking, but in fact, it plays out almost exactly like the final scene in a MUCH BETTER (Spanish) horror movie called Rec. Somebody who you are led to think is in a safe position is dragged away by someone close to them, and that's the end. No kidding.

No wonder this took so long to get made and released. It was such a pale imitation of what you think of in terms of the JU-ON legacy that I don't know why they bothered in the first place.

Wait, no don't tell me - it was purely and simply to cash in on a beloved franchise. As per usual.

0 out of 5. Not giving it a rating. I should've done the same for the terrible THE BYE BYE MAN.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top