Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2005, 03:55 AM
Master Fan

John Grisham Appreciation #1

I don't know about you guys but I have never seen a John Grisham novel made into a film that I didn't love. Incase you all aren't familiar with these pieces, here they are-

The Firm (1993)

Directed By - Sydney Pollack
Starring - Tom Cruise, Gene Hackman, Ed Harris, and Holly Hunter
Synapsis - A young lawyer is recruited a prestigous law firm only to discover joining 'The Firm' is more like joining a Cult. A deadly trap that there is no way out of.

The Pelican Brief (1993)

Directed By - Alan J. Pakula
Starring - Julia Roberts, Denzel Washington, Sam Shepard, Stanley Tucci, and John Lithgow
Synapsis - Two Supreme Court Justices have been assassinated. One lone law student has stumbled upon the truth. An investigative journalist wants her story. Everybody else wants her dead.

The Client (1994)

Directed By - Joel Schumacher
Starring - Tommy Lee Jones, Susan Sarandon, Will Patton, Brad Renfro, and William H. Macy
Synapsis - A young boy who witnessed the suicide of a mafia lawyer hires an attorney to protect him when the district attorney tries to use him to take down a mob family.

A Time to Kill (1996)

Directed By - Joel Schumacher
Starring - Matthew McConaughey, Sandra Bullock, Samuel L. Jackson, Kevin Spacey, Donald Sutherland, Kiefer Sutherland, and Ashley Judd
Synapsis - A young lawyer defends a black man accused of murdering two men who raped his 10-year-old daughter, sparking a rebirth of the KKK.

The Chamber (1996)

Directed By - James Foley
Starring - Chris O'Donnell, Gene Hackman, and Faye Dunaway
Synapsis - A young man fresh out of law school tries to win a reprieve for his racist grandfather who is on death row.

The Rainmaker (1997)

Directed By - Francis Ford Coppola
Starring - Matt Damon, Danny DeVito, Claire Danes, Jon Voight, and Mickey Rourke
Synapsis - An idealistic young lawyer and his cynical partner take on a powerful law firm representing a corrupt insurance company.

The Gingerbread Man (1998)

Directed By - Robert Altman
Starring - Kenneth Branagh, Robert Downey Jr., Tom Berenger, Daryl Hannah, Famke Janssen, and Robert Duvall
Synapsis - A young lawyer has a one-night-stand with a woman and becomes hooked on her. When he lears of her abusive, nut-case father, he gets his firm to back her up in court. But when everything goes wrong, everyone's life is in danger.

Runaway Jury (2003)

Directed By - Gary Fleder
Starring - John Cusack, Gene Hackman, Dustin Hoffman, and Rachel Weisz
Synapsis - A juror on the inside, and a woman on the outside manipulate a court trial involving a major gun manufacturer.

Christmas with the Kranks (2004)

Directed By - Joe Roth
Starring - Tim Allen, Jamie Lee Curtis, Dan Aykroyd, and Caroline Rhea
Synapsis - With their daughter away, her parents decide to skip Christmas altogether until she decides to come home, causing an uproar when they have to celebrate the holidays at the last minute.

I love them all but I think my faves are Runaway Jury, The Rainmaker, and The Pelican Brief...

Anybody else love them with me??

Last edited by shrrshrr; 01-12-2005 at 11:25 PM
86amanda86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 11:24 PM
Master Fan

I'm not much of a fan but I did like The Pelican Brief - I thought Denzel and Julia had a lot of great, not necessarily sexual chemistry which made the movie lots of fun.

Also - your images aren't showing...I don't think IMDb allows hot-linking...

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 08:56 AM
Master Fan

I loved ATTK. I actually bought it from Wal-Mart for $6
Old 03-04-2009, 08:05 AM
Fan Forum Star

My favourite Grisham adaptation is A Time To Kill. My Least Favourite is The Runway Jury because they changed too much.

This is Raven Reyes, and I'm alive.
Karma Police is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread