Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2011, 02:44 AM
Elite Fan

"I thought Mr. Boddy was our host" - Unreliable Narrators

Some spoilers.

Wikipedia says:

An unreliable narrator is a narrator, whether in literature, film, or theatre, whose credibility has been seriously compromised. Unreliable narrators are usually first-person narrators, but third-person narrators can also be unreliable.

Vacillating Voiceovers: A History of Unreliable Narrators

Quote:
"Rashomon" (1950)

The granddaddy of unreliable narrator films, Akira Kurosawa's "Rashomon" provides four conflicting accounts of a fateful event in order to highlight a fundamental inability to ascertain definitive truth.
Fight Club, also included in the list, is a fine example. Edward Norton's narrator is incredibly effective for various reasons, the main one being that he can't tell how unreliable he is for a long while. Another example of unreliable narrators in movies is Verbal from The Usual Suspects.

Memento's Leonard Shelby is another great example of a self-deceptive narrator. The first time I watched Memento the reveal hit me hard. So well done. He Loves Me... He Loves Me Not caught me by surprise. This story was so well crafted I couldn't believe I didn't suspect anything until the aha moment toward the end.

Identity and Matchstick Men play very astute long cons, but one of them is kind of a cheat.

In my opinion, Wadsworth the Butler (Clue, 1985) is one of the funniest UN's ever. He's unreliable and the only one who knows what's going on.
ROCKSTAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread