Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2003, 04:32 PM
Cotton Candy

I Am Sam (2001) #1 - Lucy in the sky with diamonds.

Welcome to the i am sam thread. I just saw this film recently and I loved it. It's now one of my new favorites and I really wanted to start a thread for it so I could discuss it with some other fans. I hope others join in!

Synopsis
Sam Dawson is a mentally-challenged father raising his daughter Lucy with the help of an extraordinary group of friends. As Lucy turns seven and begins to intellectually surpass her father, their close bond is threatened when their situation comes under the scrutiny of a social worker who wants Lucy placed in foster care. Faced with a seemingly unwinnable case, Sam vows to fight the legal system and forms an unlikely alliance with Rita Harrison, a high-powered, self-absorbed attorney who initially takes his case pro bona as a challenge from her colleagues. On the surface the two couldn't be further apart, but in reality they are subtly similar. Sam's compulsive nature is mirrored in Rita's more socially acceptable obsessive-compulsive nature. Together they struggle to convince the system that Sam deserves to get his daughter back and, in the process, fuse a bond that results in a unique testament to the power of unconditional love.

Pictures

Enjoy!
Old 12-08-2003, 11:26 PM
Loyal Fan

Yea i loved dat movie its so sad i was like crying in it, lucy is so cute !
Legolas/Aragorns swords & arrows#40
Thimble#29
jess13579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 10:40 AM
Cotton Candy

Welcome! I know, I was crying as well. I told my mom before she knew who Dakota Fanning was that I wanted to name my future kid Dakota and she didn't like the idea. Then we saw the movie together and at the end of the movie, through tears, she said "You can name your daughter Dakota if you want to", [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img].
Old 01-23-2004, 02:42 AM
Extreme Fan

Awww I loved this movie (and not just cuz I worship Dianne Wiest [img]smilies/look.gif[/img] ) so I am bumping.

I do believe, however, that had the casting for this movie been ANY different, this movie would have been complete crap. Sean Penn did a wonderful job. His scenes were all so very touching. And that Dakota Fanning has more talent in her freakin' pinky than most current Hollywood A-listers have in their entire bodies! [img]smilies/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

I'm also loving the soundtrack. A lot of artists I like did songs for it and it was interesting to hear their interpretations of Beatles classics. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Kryssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 01:07 PM
Loyal Fan

Hi there,

I loved this movie - I actually saw it on the aeroplane, so not the best situation, but still very moving! I raved so much about it, that I told my mum that she had to see it! She's bought the DVD, and once she's finished with it, I hope to watch it again and refresh on it, as it's been quite some time!

BTW: Everytime I see you post, I keep forgetting to tell you how cute your icon is Vada and Thomas Sitting in a Tree [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Bye for now,

Big DC Fan

7.07pm
Big DC Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 06:41 AM
Supreme Fan

i love that movie. sean penn was amazing in it. it's one of those movies that really really touches you deep within & gives you something, i think. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2004, 04:02 PM
Master Fan

Last edited by artist; 10-05-2006 at 11:37 AM
artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 04:25 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by artist:
<STRONG>Photos</STRONG>
Love the photos - especially the one with Sam and Lucy on the swing [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Big DC Fan
Big DC Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 06:54 AM
Absolute Fan

i absolutly love this movie so incredibly beautiful and the soundtrack is amazing! aahhh i lov sean penn he is awesome in it
‎''The Dark Lord will rise again, Crouch! Throw us into Azkaban, we will wait! He will rise again and will come for us, he will reward us beyond any of his other supporters! We alone were faithful! We alone tried to find him!''
ImmortallyUsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 06:28 PM
Obsessed Fan

I love this film. Sean Penn was amazing in it, as was Dakota Fanning. Plus how could I not love a movie that's a full tribute to the Beatles? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Bryana
fallfromgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 12:20 AM
Elite Fan

Crititcs hated, HATED this movie. I say screw 'em!

Why can't love win once? If John Lennon says its all we need, this is the movie to carry that message through, loud and clear.

I cried soooooooooooooooooooo much. I had a headache afterwards. I'd love to see it again soon.

When Sam couldn't read and Lucy told him to get the book he could read, man I was crying so hard! And when he went, "but it's so hard" Ohh man.. I couldn't get over it for weeks.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:33 AM
Absolute Fan

i absolutly love this movie its completly gorgeous

i loved it how they put the beatles songs in it too made it simply touching

the love in this movie is so touching its unbelievable
‎''The Dark Lord will rise again, Crouch! Throw us into Azkaban, we will wait! He will rise again and will come for us, he will reward us beyond any of his other supporters! We alone were faithful! We alone tried to find him!''
ImmortallyUsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 05:21 AM
Master Fan

i am sam

I remember I wanted to watch this movie so badly on screen, but no one wanted to accompany me so I waited until I saw it on Star Movies. The only thing I regret about this is that I didn't watch it onscreen! I loved this movie. It's so incredibly touching. I cried buckets, probably through half of the movie or something. Sean Penn was amazing. There's no other word to describe his performance. He added so much depth to his role - under him (rather than any other actor), Sam Dawson became someone we could love. And Dakota Fanning's chemistry with Sean Penn added credibility to their relationship. She's so talented. Plus Michelle Pheiffer's casting was surprising at first to me, but after watching the movie, I think she's undervalued as well.

i am sam is one of the most moving films ever. Just seeing the pictures and lines posted here made me want to cry all over again. The cast were great, the movie was honest and didn't degenerate into a sterotypical 'love the disabled' surface flick, and it moved the people. What more do you need in a film?

The official i am sam website - for those of you who loved the soundtrack (like me!) you want to come here.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:35 PM
Obsessed Fan

What a cute movie.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:52 AM
Dedicated Fan

I practically bawled my eyes out in this movie, but the most wonderful acting by Sean Penn as the mentally retarded father and Dakota Fanning as Lucy who loved her father for who he is. Wonderful movie!!

Napoleon Dynamite: [referring to Deb's milk] I see you're drinking 1%. Is that 'cause you think you're fat? 'Cause you're not. You could be drinking whole if you wanted to.

NAPOLEON DYNAMITE
purrfect405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread