Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2006, 10:10 AM
Extreme Fan

The Hours (2002) #1

{ Tagline }

The time to hide is over. The time to regret is gone. The time to live is now.

{ Quotes }

Little girl: "What happens when we die?" Virginia: "We return to the place we came from."

Virginia: "You cannot find peace by avoiding life, Leonard."

Dan: "I had an idea of our happiness."

Leonard: "Why does someone have to die?" Virginia: "Someone has to die in order that the rest of us should value life more."

Virginia: "Always the years, always the love, always the hours."

{ Trailer }

Trailer 1

{ Music }

Music clips for download (on sendspace):

"I'm Going To Make A Cake"

Something She Has To Do

{ Links }

Screencaps

icon by NikitaWitter

Last edited by Xbel; 08-12-2007 at 03:07 PM
Xbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 12:30 PM
Elite Fan

This movie was terrific. I was haunted by Nicole Kidman's performance for weeks after I watched this. The ending was so heartbreaking.

I loved the way she kept talking about the book, "the poet will die." She was living the story in her mind, the pieces going back and forth until she found the perfect place for them.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:08 PM
Dedicated Fan

I absolutely *loved* this movie - I have watched it a surprising number of times. I think it's beautiful, and all the performances are so top notch. Nicole Kidman completely deserved that Oscar for this - the scene where she's talking about "If it is to be between Richmond and death...I choose death." I loooove it.

Have you read the book? It's so so good.
missmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 09:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

I just watched the trailers, and it looks real good! Im going to have to check it out.
My LJ
AutumnColorsღ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:27 AM
Addicted Fan

Ok, I must be the only person that thinks Nicole Kidman is completely over-rated in this film...The whole time I was watching her I just couldn't believe in the character. On the other hand, I thought Meryl Streep and Julianne Moore were great. To me they weren't acting...they were the characters I was watching.
xallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 04:13 AM
Extreme Fan

Will reply to your posts soon.

icon by NikitaWitter
Old 12-06-2006, 09:57 AM
Master Fan

Oh, gosh. I have watched The Hours three times (not any recently, though - they were bunched together where I made everyone I knew watch it - and watched it with them) and each and every time I have been blown away by the strength of the acting from all three women (and the supporting cast: Ed Harris especially), the cleverness of the interlinking plots (though this is more Michael Cunningham's doing), the directing. But mostly the acting.

I will have to watch the film again to fully put into words how much I am affected and moved by this film, but suffice to say this was one of the best movies I have ever watched. Somehow it's a film to be watched late at night, the way I did when I watched it for the first time: at 2 or 3am, at my friend's house but by myself (because I was there for a sleepover and everyone else had fallen asleep) and being wide awake despite the hour, with my friend's cat for company...and, simply, drowning in the film from the opening shot onwards. I remember being so affected by it when it was over - the mark of a good film - I was so melancholy the whole day. Probably didn't help that I watched it again, later on in the same day Point is, I feel like watching it now - it's about the right time too, 1am. And obviously I can't recreate the exact same conditions (no cat, for starters) but I don't think I'll be watching it today. When I do I'm sure I'll be back here. (And yes I do sound rather melodramatic here, but it's all true, seriously).

I have read the book! I watched the movie first, though. I loved both. I'm glad I watched the film first, though, because I'm sure I would've been disappointed (or less impressed, at any rate) had I read the book first, It's always what happens when filmmakers change things in the movie. And while normally I prefer books to the movie version, I'm torn about this one. Some of the dialogue has been changed, but I love both - I suppose I should just think of it as something good, liking both, rather than trying to decide which is better
Old 12-06-2006, 11:39 PM
Master Fan

I couldn't watch this. I rented it several times from NetFlix, but it was too heavy for me at the time (I was going through a lot of family issues). I think I'll try re-renting it...

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 10:10 PM
Obsessed Fan

It's one of my favorite movies as well.

The three ladies were superb in their roles. Nicole was breathtaking and Julianne was heartbreaking, and Meryl was...well, Meryl.

I haven't seen the movie in a few years--but I remember really liking the score.

I'll have to rewatch this one again soon.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:17 PM
Master Fan

Mmm, the Phillip Glass score. I loved it, too - added so much layer to the movie. It's funny, though, as I was watching it for the first time I sat there after it ended, and as the Glass score ended 'Clocks' started playing. And I thought, "oh, this is appropriate somehow", although it was strange listening to pop music in the movie after the entire movie had the score...it was only a while later then I realised that 'Clocks' wasn't from the movie, it was my friend's phone ringing it went well together, though, and it came in just as the score ended
Old 12-09-2006, 08:24 AM
Extreme Fan

Wow, thanks for all your great thoughts and inputs! I will answer this evening.

icon by NikitaWitter

Last edited by Xbel; 12-09-2006 at 08:36 AM
Old 12-11-2006, 08:36 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKSTAR (View Post)
This movie was terrific. I was haunted by Nicole Kidman's performance for weeks after I watched this.
Her performances always haunt me. She is the embodiment of a real, talented actress, unlike so many others. That excludes all the other actresses of "The Hours" ofcourse. She's just incredible.
Quote:
The ending was so heartbreaking.
In my opinion, only for Richard and Virginia Woolf. But even for them they found peace with the decisions and actions they made, so it was a nice ending for them, I thought.
Quote:
I loved the way she kept talking about the book, "the poet will die." She was living the story in her mind, the pieces going back and forth until she found the perfect place for them.
Oh yes, so magnificent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmin (View Post)
I absolutely *loved* this movie - I have watched it a surprising number of times. I think it's beautiful, and all the performances are so top notch. Nicole Kidman completely deserved that Oscar for this - the scene where she's talking about "If it is to be between Richmond and death...I choose death." I loooove it.
Oh me too, me too. Specially the little smile she gives Leonard after he says "Oh well, London then."
Quote:
Have you read the book? It's so so good.
I actually bought it last week, because I'm just so curious about reading the book from where the story comes from. Sadly, I haven't got round to reading it yet, but it's holiday soon... I also bought "Mrs. Dalloway" and am blown away by the first few pages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainstorm18 (View Post)
I just watched the trailers, and it looks real good! Im going to have to check it out.
You've never heard of it before? You must watch it! Have you watched it since you wrote this post?
Quote:
Originally Posted by xallyx (View Post)
Ok, I must be the only person that thinks Nicole Kidman is completely over-rated in this film...The whole time I was watching her I just couldn't believe in the character. On the other hand, I thought Meryl Streep and Julianne Moore were great. To me they weren't acting...they were the characters I was watching.
You are the only one! But I do think Nicole Kidman's voice was sometimes too deep and scratchy, and her English accent exaggerated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnightboy (View Post)
Oh, gosh. I have watched The Hours three times (not any recently, though - they were bunched together where I made everyone I knew watch it - and watched it with them) and each and every time I have been blown away by the strength of the acting from all three women (and the supporting cast: Ed Harris especially), the cleverness of the interlinking plots (though this is more Michael Cunningham's doing), the directing. But mostly the acting.

I will have to watch the film again to fully put into words how much I am affected and moved by this film, but suffice to say this was one of the best movies I have ever watched.
Have you watched it again?
Quote:
Somehow it's a film to be watched late at night, the way I did when I watched it for the first time: at 2 or 3am, at my friend's house but by myself (because I was there for a sleepover and everyone else had fallen asleep) and being wide awake despite the hour, with my friend's cat for company...and, simply, drowning in the film from the opening shot onwards. I remember being so affected by it when it was over - the mark of a good film - I was so melancholy the whole day. Probably didn't help that I watched it again, later on in the same day Point is, I feel like watching it now - it's about the right time too, 1am. And obviously I can't recreate the exact same conditions (no cat, for starters) but I don't think I'll be watching it today. When I do I'm sure I'll be back here. (And yes I do sound rather melodramatic here, but it's all true, seriously).
Interesting - this film never makes me sad or melancholic - it's the sort of film that leaves me with pure joy of being alive, and that feeling of being pleased with everything I've experienced so far, fully appreciating it. It also leaves me with the feeling that my whole life is in fron of me and I've got so many things to look forward to and live through!
Quote:
I have read the book! I watched the movie first, though. I loved both. I'm glad I watched the film first, though, because I'm sure I would've been disappointed (or less impressed, at any rate) had I read the book first, It's always what happens when filmmakers change things in the movie. And while normally I prefer books to the movie version, I'm torn about this one. Some of the dialogue has been changed, but I love both - I suppose I should just think of it as something good, liking both, rather than trying to decide which is better
It will be the other way round for me. Another great thing about this film is the fact that Michael Cunningham, the writer of the book, is so very pleased and satisfied with how they made his book into a film. Which doesn't really surprise you, considering the cast and crew they has!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrrshrr (View Post)
I couldn't watch this. I rented it several times from NetFlix, but it was too heavy for me at the time (I was going through a lot of family issues). I think I'll try re-renting it...
Very understandable. Is it difficult for you because you were going through something similar as any of the characters? How much did you watch when deciding you wouldn't want to watch the rest? Have you rewatched it yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by taovande (View Post)
It's one of my favorite movies as well.

The three ladies were superb in their roles. Nicole was breathtaking and Julianne was heartbreaking, and Meryl was...well, Meryl.
Love how you state this... words are never enough for Meryl's talent. I feel the same way.
Quote:
I haven't seen the movie in a few years--but I remember really liking the score.

I'll have to rewatch this one again soon.
The score is... well, it's Philip Glass! Did you rewatch it? (I'm asking everyone the same question )
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnightboy (View Post)
Mmm, the Phillip Glass score. I loved it, too - added so much layer to the movie. It's funny, though, as I was watching it for the first time I sat there after it ended, and as the Glass score ended 'Clocks' started playing. And I thought, "oh, this is appropriate somehow", although it was strange listening to pop music in the movie after the entire movie had the score...it was only a while later then I realised that 'Clocks' wasn't from the movie, it was my friend's phone ringing it went well together, though, and it came in just as the score ended
Interesting coincidence, and very funny. Clocks from which singer?

I've got a question: Why do you think Leonard cries so much, in a supressed way, after he says "We'll go back to London then.?" A picture as a refresher:

I've added some stuff to the opening post, by the way. I'll update all the time, when I have time. Thanks again for posting and I look forward to your next responses!

icon by NikitaWitter

Last edited by Xbel; 12-17-2006 at 06:28 AM
Old 12-17-2006, 06:26 AM
Extreme Fan

Just bringing this on top again...

icon by NikitaWitter
Old 12-17-2006, 11:20 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbel (View Post)
I actually bought it last week, because I'm just so curious about reading the book from where the story comes from. Sadly, I haven't got round to reading it yet, but it's holiday soon... I also bought "Mrs. Dalloway" and am blown away by the first few pages.
After I read this book, I read all of Michael Cunningham's other stuff - I cannot recommend it highly enough - he has a beautiful way with words. "A Home at The End of the World" I especially loved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbel (View Post)
I've got a question: Why do you think Leonard cries so much, in a supressed way, after he says "We'll go back to London then.?" A picture as a refresher:
I've always thought that it's because he realizes that he isn't able to "save" her so to speak by keeping her in the country and away from her personal demons, and that he knows that if she goes back to the city and the life she lives in the city with all its demons and stresses that she's going to go mad again, and she might not get better this time, but he has to let her do what she feels she has to do.

OMG, I am so watching this again today. It has been too long!
missmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:07 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmin (View Post)
After I read this book, I read all of Michael Cunningham's other stuff - I cannot recommend it highly enough - he has a beautiful way with words. "A Home at The End of the World" I especially loved.
Very easy to believe that they're so good. While "imdb-ing" Meryl Streep, I found this, which will interest any fan of his work. I guess it was to be expected that he and Meryl Streep work together again, eh?
Quote:
I've always thought that it's because he realizes that he isn't able to "save" her so to speak by keeping her in the country and away from her personal demons, and that he knows that if she goes back to the city and the life she lives in the city with all its demons and stresses that she's going to go mad again, and she might not get better this time, but he has to let her do what she feels she has to do.
Makes all the sense in the world now! Thanks for explaining!
Quote:
OMG, I am so watching this again today. It has been too long!
Looking forward to your post after that.

icon by NikitaWitter

Last edited by Xbel; 12-18-2006 at 11:17 AM
Reply   Post New Thread