Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2019, 01:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

I just googled it and it sounds interesting! I only know Colm Feore from the cast, but a relatively unknown cast can be a good thing. Supernatural horrors are the best kind. Reviews seem mixed, but that doesn't bother me.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 10-25-2019, 03:21 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Bringing this over from the 'What Was The Last Movie You Saw?" thread:

HALLOWEEN (2018)

Rant incoming ---

Anti-climactic ending, predictable jump-scares, bland characterization, a psychiatrist with a split personality who's marginally interesting until he gets easily killed by Michael thus serving no real purpose, two British journalists who had to be the most pointless characters ever (why were they so obsessed with the case yet acting so dumb??? ), clips re-used from the original movie of Judith Myers' death (as if we've forgotten who Michael is ), Laurie with a new family who I couldn't give a rat's about, most of the male characters (except the cute little black kid) getting killed because that's the era we live in I guess...

I could go on and on and on about the issues I had with this movie (not to mention the scariest parts being revealed in the trailer) but I really couldn't stand it that Michael Myers appeared to have Jason Voorhee's presence and stamina in this movie. I didn't even feel like I was watching Michael Myers; it felt like Jason (or even Leatherface) but with Michael's mask.

A sequel is on its way and boy, can they keep it. Laurie in this one was NOT interesting to me. She was a hermit whose daughter didn't appreciate her until her life was in danger. Also, the editing in this movie was TERRIBLE. That scene where the journalist is like "SAY SOMETHING MICHAEL" then it cuts to the opening credits, the bus crash where it cuts to the usual "October 31st" image, the ending where they're just driving away and cut to credits... God it hurts to think about

5/10 and I'm being kind. (The positives go to the little kid and the babysitter scene and when the lights went out as he killed that guy who wanted to date Laurie's granddaughter)

I repeat: WHY was Michael acting more like Jason or Leatherface in this one??? His identity was confused. The violent aspect was so completely OOC.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 10-25-2019, 03:38 PM
I am a basketball genius!

Oh. I Think I've only seen the original ''Halloween'' film. Apparently this new 1 isn't scary. That's too bad.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:48 PM
Master Fan

I enjoyed the new Halloween alot, but that's just me.
Old 10-28-2019, 06:37 PM

Oh. Because, Crystal I guess is her name that posted a review of that film above my last post in here wasn't too fond of it, but maybe it's getting mixed reviews.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:43 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

People who liked or even didn't like Unfriended should know that the sequel, Unfriended: Dark Web is MILES BETTER.

It's the same layout of watching social media play out on screen and entrap these group of friends, but the victims are actually sympathetic in the sequel and the plot is more about the creepiness of hackers (and it's still able to use a supernatural element to reinforce the horror aspect).

It's much more clever and better written than the first one. The protagonist is actually someone you can root for, as opposed to the self-centered in the first movie.

Rating: 4 out of 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by canflam (View Post)
Oh. Because, Crystal I guess is her name that posted a review of that film above my last post in here wasn't too fond of it, but maybe it's getting mixed reviews.
It's Gwen Crystal is just a user name

Yeah unfortunately I didn't like the 2018 one at all. That's good that Betty liked it! I don't begrudge anyone who does. It has its positives; but I just felt it was a boring rehash whilst making Michael Myers into some sort of unrecognizable violent figure more like Jason Voorhees. Plus they made him look extremely dumb (that scene where they locked him in the basement so easily irritated me ) and the ending was such a sequel set-up, it annoyed me.

Plus, that stupid scene where Michael kills the driver who's the crazy psychiatrist but he COMPLETELY IGNORES the daughter of Judy Greer's character who's sitting right next to him, and lets her run off into the woods. GIMME A BREAK.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 10-30-2019, 07:42 PM
Master Fan

See the scene of him being locked in the basement was pivotal for me. I felt that was reminiscent for him being locked in the mental/criminal hospital and in a way made him relatable in that maybe he’s having a PTSD moment. So while it might have come across as him being dumb, it was jarring for me. I could be reading more into it, but that was my take on it.

Thanks for the talk/debate too Gwen, I enjoy talking and adding why or why not I enjoyed something!
Old 11-01-2019, 04:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettie Mae Page (View Post)
Thanks for the talk/debate too Gwen, I enjoy talking and adding why or why not I enjoyed something!
Absolutely what these threads are for It's great to amicably debate these movies.

It's interesting that you brought up the potential PTSD aspect of Michael, as I was just about to mention that in relation to the 1978 movie. Remember that scene where he frightens the boy who bullies Tommy Doyle on school grounds? Just before he gets in the car and follows Tommy.

-- That scene to me is what the made the original so great. That specific moment, however fleeting, proved to a huge degree of the clear spark of humanity still present in Michael. He was able to see himself in their youth and how the boy treated Tommy. That lost youth of Michael's, that violent act he committed himself years ago which defined the rest of his days; how he can simultaneously stalk innocent people but also make a point of frightening a little bully who actually deserves it. It made the first movie that much better to me.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 11-05-2019, 11:55 AM
Master Fan

Definitely can see that, I feel like when he's locked in the basement in the new one it's almost like he becomes childlike in 'not understanding' what is happening, but he should, if that makes sense.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:21 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Phoebe Tonkin

Someone explain to me how Candyman is getting a direct sequel? He was destroyed in the OG and Helen took his place so shouldn't it be called something different like Candywoman? Don't call it a direct sequel if it's going to be about Candyman again when he's been destroyed. It makes no sense and negates the OG movie.

{taek su mi sun}
Old 11-17-2019, 03:12 PM

Well, this 1 I think is going to have 2 Candymen in it, but I'm just learning of the film.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:53 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Phoebe Tonkin

I don't get how the original can be in it though when it was pretty obvious he was destroyed. Unless there are two and one is Helen and the other is a guy Helen got into it, too??

{taek su mi sun}
Old 11-18-2019, 05:53 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

I forgot in the original Helen became Candyman, but she wasn't acknowledged in the sequels so I guess the same would happen in a reboot.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:25 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Phoebe Tonkin

There were other sequels? I must not have paid attention since I couldn't make sense of them.

{taek su mi sun}
Old 11-18-2019, 06:33 PM

There's ''Candyman'' from 1992, ''Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh'' from 1995, & ''Candyman: Day of the Dead'' from 1999. Plus this new 1 next year.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread