Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2004, 06:47 PM
Dedicated Fan

the Longest Day

The Original World War II Combat Epic

"The Longest Day" is an outstanding epic which could be best described as the "Gone With the Wind" of war films. An amazing production which had five directors and five screenwriters, it is an intense film which lasts three hours and tells the story of the D-Day invasion from five different attack angles. John Wayne, Henry Fonda, Richard Burton and Robert Mitchum are all super as the primary characters. However, the supporting cast has a diverse range of actors such as Sean Connery, Red Buttons, Sal Mineo, Robert Wagner, Stuart Whitman, George Segal, Robert Ryan, Roddy McDowall and Jeffrey Hunter. This was the definitive World War II film before 1998 when it was dethroned by both "The Thin Red Line" and "Saving Private Ryan", but make no mistake of it "The Longest Day" is still outstanding in every way imaginable and it continues to stand up well as the years go by. 5 stars out of 5.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:41 AM
New Fan

I have to do a survey for summer school. I just saw this dvd called Gunners Palace. It's about soldiers living in one of Saddam's old palaces, and the unique thing is that most of the movie is told through music. All types of music are in the gunners palace, so it applied to me because I like war movies and music of multiple genres. I recommanded it to my buddies so from me to you, check it out.

Last edited by Crystal Clear; 06-27-2018 at 02:00 PM Reason: Merging threads
soldierz_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 11:40 AM
Addicted Fan

I like anti-war movies...as Ridley Scott said, a good war movie is obviously against the war...So, I just like PATHS OF GLORY, THE THIN RED LINE, LA GRANDE ILLUSION...What about BUFFALO SOLDIERS? Good movie, funny how it was censored in America, and in Italy, my country, it was released only now.
My favourite war movie is of course DR STRANGELOVE, an unmatched satire of the Cold War.

Don't dream it...be it
Television man is crazy saying we're juvenile delinquent wrecks, man I need TV when I got T.Rex?
VU&NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 10:59 PM
Obsessed Fan

one of my favorite films about war....is 'no man's land'....it won the academy award for best foreign film a couple of years back....the film features a couple of comic moments....but in the end it shows the utter stupidity and brutality of of war.....

mukooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 02:14 PM
New Fan

yeah, anti war movies are always good. Check out this one and tell me what you think. It's unique, I'm telling you.
soldierz_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:59 PM
Master Fan

You know, I SWEAR I started a war film thread (which, by the way, is inclusive of anti-war, after all, that's technically war, too). Can't find it, though...

Anyway, I'm a bit jaded on war films, so I probably won't see this, but the thread's fine.

Also, I really believe the ultimate war movie of our generation is Apocalypse Now, and while I've gotten a lot out of more modern films, as the ultimate statement(s) on war, AN pretty much touches the myriad issues.

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 06:29 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukooh
one of my favorite films about war....is 'no man's land'....it won the academy award for best foreign film a couple of years back....the film features a couple of comic moments....but in the end it shows the utter stupidity and brutality of of war.....

A classic, I love this movie so much.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take -Wayne Gretzky
jthorton17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:54 PM
Master Fan

I love war movies...

The most recent one I saw was War Horse. Soooooooooo good!!!
Old 12-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

War movies and Gangster movies are my two favorite kinds. War movies, give me anything and I'll love it. Platoon, Apocalypse Now, Gettysburg and Gods & Generals, Saving Private Ryan....among MANY others. Love me some war movies.
GardenSirens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:10 PM
Master Fan

Last war movie I saw was Flags of Our Fathers and I liked it.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:40 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

I watched Platoon and Apocalypse Now the other day...lots of war in one day haha. Great movies. Netflix just added Windtalkers (or maybe it's been there but I just saw it either way) and I remember having to watch it for school once but don't remember much from it. I certainly want to watch it again.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:15 AM
Master Fan

Haven't seen any of those.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:45 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

I don't remember if you're in UK or USA but at least in USA they're on Netflix (i'm not sure on canada or uk). Platoon has only one cut but Apocalypse Now has the regular version and the Redux edition (which is a directors cut with almost an hour of movie added). I highly recommend both of them if you like war movies. They're both Vietnam war movies, too so they are made by vietnam war vets so the violence and tactics are pretty realistic.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:39 PM
Master Fan

I'll have to make time though because I'm quite busy this month... But of course I'll post here once I've seen one of them I'm from NYC
Old 03-16-2015, 10:31 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I love historical films. Especially about WWII.
Mi||iê Måë is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread