Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2003, 09:43 AM
Passionate Fan

Hindi Movies #4: (Possible SPOILERS)

The old thread is here for those who want to catch up on the latest Bollywood gossip, see what's hot and what's not, and gauge exactly how much I can blather on about Ram Gopal Varma movies. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

For the title, I was torn between two Sholay quotes. The one I used and the infamous "Kitne aadmi the?" Maybe that can be thread #5, lol.

At any rate, welcome, yaaron! Discuss! Review! Gossip!

And, actually, since I'm in a Gabbar Singh kind of mood...I'll pose some questions:

1. Who is your favorite villainous actor?
2. Who is your favorite villainous character?
3. What Hindi movie villain was the absolute most horrifying?
4. What villain did you feel sorry for?

Here's my own answers:
1. My favorite Bollywood villainous actor is probably Amrish Puri. Anybody who can call Harrison Ford a bastard on the American big screen is just beyond cool, lol. Although, yo, I love Pran, Prem Chopra, Amzad Khan, Danny...all of the classics, too.
2. Balloo Balram in Khalnayak rocks my socks. I love, love, LOVE this character as played by Sanjay Dutt.
3. It's a close tie between Ashutosh Rana as Gokul in Dushman and Sadashiv Amarpurkar as Maharani in Sadak. They were chilling in their own ways, for different reasons and I almost had nightmares.
4. Of course, I felt sorry for Balloo, but in terms of genuine pity and empathy for a villain, I'd have to go with SRK's character in Baazigar and Manoj Bajpai's character in Road. They were pathetic and broken.

[ 04-03-2003: Message edited Mala ]
Old 04-03-2003, 05:11 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Mala:
<STRONG>
1. Who is your favorite villainous actor?
2. Who is your favorite villainous character?
3. What Hindi movie villain was the absolute most horrifying?
4. What villain did you feel sorry for?
</STRONG>
1) I haven't seen enough Hindi movies yet to make a determination.
2) Malik (Ajay Devgan) and Chandu (Vivek Oberoi), in Company (love that film!).
3) Narsimha (played by Nana Patekar), in Shakti, the Power. When he's beating Karisma Kapoor's character in front of her son? That's powerful and hoffifying.
4) He was really a villain, but I felt just awful for him - Sanjay Dutt's "Munnabhai," in Hum Kisise Kum Nahin. I kind of wanted him to get the girl, or at least Amitabh Bachan. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Great questions, and an excellent way to start the thread!

My LJ for Movies
Old 04-03-2003, 05:18 PM
Passionate Fan

Glad you liked the questions!

And, Hell, I'm so perverse that I barely consider Malik and Chandu villains. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I actually struggled with that as I was answering the question. In the context of the film, they were its protagonists...and I felt that the other dude...the one trying to break them apart...was the "villain."

Plus, you know, they love each other and they're hot.
That's always a special dispensation.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:25 PM
Obsessed Fan

I found this today and thought I'd share:

Quote:
Bollywood actress next Bond girl?
MUMBAI, India (AP) -- India's movie heartthrob Aishwarya Rai may be the next Bond girl, the Times of India reported Friday.

"They're keen to cast her," Rai's secretary Hari Singh was quoted as saying in the newspaper. He said an international agency has approached Rai, a former Miss World.

Discussions were delayed after Rai fractured her leg Wednesday in a car accident on the set of her latest movie. She is recovering in a hospital in Mumbai, home to the world's most prolific movie industry known as Bollywood.

Rai, popularly known as Ash, recently starred in Devdas, a film about doomed love that was India's Oscar entry in the foreign film category.
Interesting.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:11 AM
Passionate Fan

Ash as a Bond girl?

:::::THUD::::

Okay, color me drooling. I might actually have to SEE a Bond film now! Haven't done that since Goldeneye.

In the fun cultural realm, the uni where I work is having an Indian film festival this week. Tonight, they're showing Bombay and Earth, Thursday is a lecture by a pretentious jerk of a guest professor, and Friday is Monsoon Wedding.

[ 04-08-2003: Message edited Mala ]
Old 04-07-2003, 06:43 PM
Part-Time Fan

I think Ash should be a bond girl. Even thought I don't really like the womens characters in Bond movies, I've never seen the new ones so I cant judge. I just think It'd be cool to have an Indian woman. Well, about the villians. I don't kno my favorites but,
3) The villan from Dushman scared me a lot...lol and
4) I felt sooooo sorry for SRK's character in Baazigar. I love how you hate him and then you feel so sorry for him

Well, bye : [img]smilies/wave.gif[/img]:
Old 04-08-2003, 07:51 PM
Master Fan

Okay, I have to see Baazigar, but I love SRK so much that I don't want to see him as the bad guy. I don't think I could take it. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

And Ash as a Bond woman - well, I'm split 50/50 on this one. First, I'd love for her to get the exposure of a Bond film (no pun intended...okay, maybe a little), but doing a Bond film is the kiss of death to a movie career, in general. I mean, Michelle Yeoh, Halle Barry? Yeah, they've got careers on their own, so they're relatively safe. But the rest have had their careers bomb out after doing a Bond film (it's actually considered somewhat of a curse). I would seriously hate to see that happen to Ash, just when she's trying to break out into Hollywood films.

My LJ for Movies
Old 04-08-2003, 08:55 PM
Extreme Fan

She would be a beautiful Bond girl. Just imagine all the guys drooling over her who havent seen her before [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I've always wondered why Indian actresses (not just bollywood ones but there must be some American born ones) havent had more exposure to American movies because Indian women are gorgeous!
Old 04-13-2003, 02:13 AM
Part-Time Fan

hey guys! [img]smilies/wave.gif[/img]

i'm new to this thread but i love hindi movies cuz i'm part indian and i can speak it thora sa.

anyways, anyone hear abt the Hollywood movie, the Invaders that vivek oberoi(from road and saathiya) is gonna star in? is that true?

-Jeanie-

[ 04-13-2003: Message edited Super Girl ]
Old 04-17-2003, 12:35 PM
Passionate Fan

Well, holy crap.

Salman is at it again. Why can't they just arrest this freak? Sanjay spends years in jail on the mere *suspicion* that he helped Daud Ibrahim's gang and this whacko is walking around free?

I'm going to post the text of the first article in one post, the second in another, and then go with some good news in the third post, okay? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

From Yahoo!India Movies...
http://in.movies.yahoo.com/030405/24/232mf.html

Salman Khan is back in the news. For the wrong reasons, once again!

At a packed-to-capacity press conference at his plush bungalow in Juhu on April 1, Vivek Oberoi told the media persons that Salman Khan had threatened him in the early hours of March 30.

Vivek claimed that Salman called him 41 times that night and abused him in the choicest of expletives, accusing Vivek of having "physical relationships with Aishwarya Rai, Rani Mukherji, Diya Mirza and Somy Ali," Vivek revealed.

"At first, I decided to pacify things, but when his tone got aggressive, abusing my father (Suresh Oberoi) and even his father (Salim Khan) subsequently, I retaliated by giving him a piece of my mind," Vivek added, "He then said that he'd come over to my house and kill me. I answered back that I'd be waiting for him outside my house. But he never came."

Vivek continues, "I waited for about 45 minutes outside my gate, but he never showed up. He then called to say that he was tired and sleepy and that he'd show up on another day and keep the fight pending to another date."

Around that time, Vivek called up Arbaaz and Sohail, Salman's younger brothers, and apprised them of the situation. "Both supported me completely and said that I should avoid his calls if he called again. 'He's depressed. He's not in the right state of mind,' they told me. If he's not in the right state of mind, he needs psychiatric treatment," Vivek said.

The same morning, Vivek flew to Chennai and was supposed to return to Mumbai on April 1, when he got a call from one of his friends, who said "Salman's bodyguards were enquiring about my whereabouts. That's when I decided to come back on March 31 itself and face them," Vivek said.

"I initially decided to forget all about this incident, but when I got to know that his bodyguards were looking for me, I decided not to take it lying down. I've had enough of this brattish behaviour," Vivek continued.

"He's done this with Abhishek Bachchan, with Subhash Ghai, with Rishi Kapoor's son and with Shah Rukh Khan lately. I really don't know why they kept quiet, but I don't see any reason why I should keep the matter concealed," Vivek thundered.

Vivek added that he was planning to lodge a complaint with the police against Salman as soon as his father Suresh Oberoi returns home.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:37 PM
Passionate Fan

Poor Ash!!

Aishwarya releases statement to media on the Salman issue http://in.movies.yahoo.com/030409/24/2387g.html

Salman Khan bombarded Aishwarya Rai with SMSs on the same night he allegedly telephoned Vivek Oberoi and threatened to kill him. He allegedly even telephoned Aishwarya, pretending to be director Sanjay Leela Bhansali.

Exclusive details available with Mid Day show that Salman first messaged Aishwarya at 2.30 am on the 31st March, two hours after he had made his first call to Vivek Oberoi.

He then SMSed Aishwarya 15 more times until 9.12 am. He allegedly even called her, pretending to be Sanjay Leela Bhansali.

While strongly refuting allegations that she has been in constant touch with Salman, a harassed Aishwarya has released a signed statement given to the media, the text of which is as follows.

My duty towards all those who believe in me and love me, compels to make the following statement, even though I had always believed in dignity of silence.

In the wake of recent rumours regarding the proposed feature film "Baji Rao Mastani", I take this opportunity to clarify my stand and end all speculations!

Some recent reactions and retaliations, unnecessarily involving me have been wrongly projected, and there have been reports of me agreeing to work with Mr Salman Khan in Baji Rao Mastani.

The truth is, from the very first meeting with Mr Sanjay Leela Bhansali with regard to this feature film "Baji Rao Mastani", I have categorically declined to work with Mr Salman Khan and my family is a witness to this.

Yes, Mr Sanjay Leela Bhansali and I have had a wonderful and fabulous working relationship so far, with memorable films like "Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam" and "Devdas"; but sadly, and for obviously personal and disturbing reasons, I cannot accept to work with Mr Salman Khan.

For the sake of my well-being, my sanity, my dignity; and the dignity and self-respect of my family, I will not work with Mr Salman Khan.The Salman-chapter was a nightmare in my life and I am thankful to God that it is over! While I have maintained a dignified silence about him and his wrong-doings, he (his family and friends) has repeatedly attacked the respect, dignity and pride of me and my family (with irresponsible rumour mongering).

I stood by him enduring his misbehaviour in worst phases and in turn, I was at the receiving end of his abuse (verbal, physical, emotional), infidelity and indignity. That is why, like any other self-respecting woman, and God is witness, I said enough, and ended it almost two years ago.

But because of a dignified silence, they all have misrepresented my stand, and spread rumours about my character, baselessly alleged affairs and have tried to spoil healthy working relations with co-stars. I do not want to get into the gory details and obnoxious experiences; which would incite washing dirty linen and other ugly untruths.I have just to clarify this! For a very long time now, they have time and time again, tried to wreck my peace and sanity, both personally and professionally.

But they all forget - No-one can play God; because there is a God! That is the only truth. He is witness to everything! My Belief in God, and my family has stood by me in solidarity, giving me the strength to rise above it all.

And I must add, that it has been very easy for some members of the film industry, media or social circles to flag opinions, when they have not been at the receiving end. And when so many of them, God knows, have been witnesses, and in knowledge of the truth. This is truly sad.

Contrary to rumours, I do not call him! On the contrary, he has tried calling me and messaging me recently on the pretext of this film "Baji Rao Mastani", and has even used Mr Sanjay Leela Bhansali's identity. I have been compelled to make this otherwise trivial validation in print, because of the continuous lies and false stories being circulated (by a strong clique).Honestly, I do not have the time, energy and manpower (in media or social circuit) to keep re-iterating validations against every (and seemingly constant) false stories or allegations.

On the end-note, I am choosing to do the kind of films, roles and directors I want to work with and enjoy the experience of the film. This way I can cherish the making of each film and give my best to every role and assignment that I accept, with peace and happiness intact. And that, is of utmost importance - Peace within and all around.

I have just come out of a near fatal accident miraculously only with an ankle fracture and a couple of wounds and abrasions; completely. An act of God; and this is No Exaggeration!

God is extremely kind, and I sincerely thank my friends and well-wishers for all their prayers, blessings and good wishes - I cherish them dearly, as I take this time out to recover and heal. God Bless all!
Old 04-17-2003, 12:40 PM
Passionate Fan

And now, as promised, the good news! Although...Sunny Deol as Karna? Ewww. Karna was always my favorite character and just...ew...ew.

Ash is Draupadi in Santoshi’s Mahabharata http://www.apunkachoice.com/scoop/bo...0030212-2.html

Director Rajkumar Santoshi is reported to have signed Aishwarya Rai to play the role of Draupadi in his next film titled Mahabharata.

Although Santoshi yet has to complete shooting for his film Khaki, the director has moved on to his next project for which he has signed a host of stars from Bollywood.

The film, tilted Mahabharata will have Arjun Rampal playing Arjun, Sunny Deol playing Karna and Sanjay Dutt as Duryodhna.

Aishwarya, who is also playing heroine in Khaki, will enact the wife of five Pandavas in the film.

Rumors are abuzz that Santoshi has approached Ajay Devgan to essay the role of Lord Krishna and Sunil Shetty to play the brawny Bheem in the movie. However, nothing is confirmed as yet.

The film, to be made as the mammoth budget of Rs 115 crore, will go on floors next year after Santoshi is through with his Khaki.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:16 PM
Obsessed Fan

Mala thanks for the news [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Salman Khan needs get help. Seriously. I'm getting tired of his crazy antics [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 04-18-2003, 02:20 PM
Obsessed Fan

More Ash news:

Friday, April 18, 2003
Soderbergh, Ryan sit on Cannes jury

By AP

PARIS -- Meg Ryan and Steven Soderbergh will sit on the nine-member jury awarding the Palme d'or at the Cannes Film Festival next month, organizers have announced.

Ryan, the star of romantic comedies including When Harry Met Sally and Sleepless In Seattle, and Soderbergh, director of Erin Brockovich and Ocean's Eleven and who won an Oscar for Traffic, will take part in the jury headed by French director Patrice Chereau.

Aishwarya Rai will become the first Indian actress on the Cannes jury. Along with Rai, a former Miss World, the jury features veteran French actor Jean Rochefort, actress Karin Viard and writer Erri De Luca of Italy.

Also judging this year's festival, which runs May 14-25, is Bosnia's Danis Tanovic, who directed No Man's Land, and China's Jiang Wen, director of Missing Gun. Chereau, the jury president, is known for his historical drama La Reine Margot.

Cannes president Gilles Jacob is scheduled to announce this year's official film selection on April 23.
Old 04-20-2003, 01:33 PM
New Fan

Hey everyone! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I was just searching through the forum directory, and came across this one! I love Hindi movies, and probably watch them more than necessary. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]