Cast

Nameless - Jet Li
Broken Sword - Tony Leung Chiu Wai
Flying Snow - Maggie Cheung
King of Qin - Daoming Chen
Sky - Donnie Yen
Moon - Ziyi Zhang

Summary

In ancient times China was divided into seven kingdoms. Qin, the king of the northern province, is under permanent threat of assassination attempts. His greatest fears are the warriors "Broken Sword", "Flying Snow" and "Sky". One day one of the magistrates of his kingdom enters the palace, claims that he defeated all three of the emperor's adversaries and tells his story; how he beat "Sky" in a duel and used the love between "Broken Sword" and "Flying Snow" to subdue them.
- Summary found at IMdb

credit - monash wushu

credit - cineclub

credit - zelloid.de

credit - zelloid.de

credit - tribaal.online

credit - ziyi zhang csc

credit - donnieyen.com

credit - zelloid.de

credit - tribaal.online

credit - le cinema hongkongais

credit - zelloid.de

credit - zelloid.de

credit - tribaal.online

credit - movie.goo.ne.jp

This award-nominated film is epic in it's screen presence and the story is intricately woven into a cinema masterpiece; nothing less expected from this extremely gifted director, Zhang Yimou , diirector of many other award winning films such as Red Sorguhm, My Concubine.

Starring Jet Li, this was an all star Asian cast. None of them were cast out of the realm of their talent. Each did their part in the movie, drawing us into the woven plot which was only revealed wholly at the end of the film.

Though you felt disconnected in the first part of the movie because you're not quite sure what to expect and you're not introduced to each character in a normal Hollywood style, with character background, nonetheless the actors have you spellbound and either rooting for them or hating them by the end of the movie. The story was peeled back layer after layer, and even halfway through the movie you're still not quite sure what the 'truth' of the matter is.

The performances by these actors were superb. I was suspect at first with these actors, not quite sure that they fit the typical action/lead roles, but as I said, the casting was superb. I can't say enough about how much I enjoyed each of the roles from the small supporting roles to the leads. You understood exactly where each one of them were coming from by the end. You knew them.

The cinematography was exhilerating and breathtaking. I was amazed at what they did with how they presented the each battle scene. The costumes and colors that were incorporated into the story held a large focus of the movie too. I never knew how much color could influence how I felt while watching a movie, more than when I watched this movie. As well as cinematography and directing, the computer generated images were amazing as well.

Since I am Asian the fantastical flying scenes were a part of how I viewed traditional Asian action films. They were not there as part of some action sequence to wow the viewers. It was as much as part of the story as the true swordplay.

Zhang Yimou managed also to incorporate such stunning settings into the movie. He managed to show the astonishing beauty that lies in China.

The fight sequences were highly anticipated by myself. I have always been a martial arts junkie and know shoddy choreography, bad editing, and unreal swordplay when I see it...and there was none in this film. Though there were moments in the first swordplay between Nameless and Sky was a typical beginning to the fight, it was the only part where I felt the swordplay was there just for show, and even then I was still overwhelmed by the power and the agility of its fighters.

I think this film managed to meld the power and beauty of swordplay in such a fluid timeless image that I will forever hold every martial arts movie to its standards. Nothing has compared yet. There was such a balance between the power, skill, quickness to the grace and elegance of the dance.

I am left with so many stunning images. The resonance that fills me when I watched the Master teach his students that their culture could not be wiped away with the slash of a sword or shot of an arrow. Or the most touching scene of the movie where Flying Snow realizes that the sword could never bring peace and give her the peace she so desperately sought.

I think this is one of the most beautiful films I have seen in the longest time. And I can see why Xiong Ying is so heralded. He is a master at bringing these films to life and such a brilliant vision of how a story should be told.
Damon/Elena Jeremy/Anna TEAM ANNA TEAM DAMON

Last edited by jayta; 09-09-2004 at 09:42 PM
jayta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 01:27 AM
Ultimate Fan

hey jayta - we also have an Asian Cinema Thread! discussions about Hero has been on going...
***isy*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 04:02 AM
Master Fan

so does this mean this thread needs to close? i mean movies have whole threads...
Old 09-06-2004, 04:34 AM
Loyal Fan

I read your review and I have to say that, by principle, I avoid Jet Li movies since "The One", but this sounds really interesting. I enjoy a movie that doesn't have a "conventional" story line and experiencing with foreign cinema is always a good answer to that.

I think I'll give it a shot... if it ever comes to my little corner of the world and I'll let you know.
Tim's Rally Girl #9

Don't you just love that smile??
avie by: daritah
Mary A Trory Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 04:42 AM
Ultimate Fan

mary its not disappointing... the cinematographer in this movie, chris doyle, did a remarkable job and the actors are one of the best.... let us know what you think!
Old 09-06-2004, 07:11 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Mary A Trory Fan
I read your review and I have to say that, by principle, I avoid Jet Li movies since "The One", but this sounds really interesting. I enjoy a movie that doesn't have a "conventional" story line and experiencing with foreign cinema is always a good answer to that.

I think I'll give it a shot... if it ever comes to my little corner of the world and I'll let you know.
the One was a hollywood fluff movie, Hero certainly is not
Old 09-07-2004, 06:10 AM
Master Fan

Mary! Whoohoo! Yeah, it's sooo much better than 'The One' which was that crappy Hollywood attempt at a story....though the cgi was amazing (and i say that not just because friends of mine were doing it) and Jet Li fought so amazingly.

The plot line however was as thin as paper mache...

Hero is a wonderful story!
Old 09-07-2004, 08:33 PM
Master Fan

*tackles jayta*

Fancy seeing you here!

Anyway, I already expressed my undying love for this movie in the Asian Cinema thread, but since I saw it again yesterday, I thought I'd say it again. I this movie!!

I actually did a movie review for my French class. I did pretty well on it too (although I cheated... I wrote it in English first, then translated ), so maybe if I can find it, I'll post it up.

So, any favourite scenes from this movie? Mine's the last fight between Broken Sword and Flying Snow. It's so sad. No matter how many times I've seen this movie and know it's coming, I cry like a baby each time. Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung should do more movies together. They have such good chemistry together!

I'm in the process of making a whole bunch of icons for this movie. When I have the chance, I'll post 'em here. So far, I have one. I hope I'll have more soon enough.... Same with some FAs. I need one for my computer's desktop.

- -
Nellie
Old 09-07-2004, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by lost lullaby

So, any favourite scenes from this movie? Mine's the last fight between Broken Sword and Flying Snow. It's so sad. No matter how many times I've seen this movie and know it's coming, I cry like a baby each time. Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung should do more movies together. They have such good chemistry together!
nellie- i think they have quite a handful of movies together. one of the notable movies is In The Mood for Love.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:05 PM
Master Fan

*tackles nellie*

Yeah I love this movie. It rocks!

I am hopefully in the process of making some wps for Broken Sword and Flying Snow. But I know what you mean. I tried to d/l it a couple of days ago and it sort of worked. Though I couldn't get sound And when it got to the last fight between those two I found myself tearing up all over again...

Such a good movie...
Old 09-07-2004, 11:59 PM
Addicted Fan

I saw the movie yesterday. The cinematography was what drew me in to come watch. During the story, the relationship between Broken Sword and Flying Snow is what kept me riveted. I really enjoyed it.

I'm also sporting a new Tony Leung fixation. rawr!
aikakone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 06:26 AM
Master Fan

i know what you mean....
Old 09-08-2004, 10:47 AM
Master Fan

Here are some WPs I made for the ship of Flying Snow and Broken Sword:

click to enlarge