Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2006, 09:39 AM
Addicted Fan

I don't think i'd consider it a chick flick either, but that was how I ended up seeing it. I loved it and don't regret buying the DVD at all. Excellent movie.
R.I.P. #21 Sean Taylor
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:50 AM
Master Fan

Actually, you've just reminded me I wanted to buy this. Thanks!

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 02:38 PM
Loyal Fan

I really liked this movie as well, I don't think it is a chick flick.I hade to watch it a few times before I understood everything but I consider one of the most intrestnig and orginal movies I've seen in a while.

~Rachel~
twinkiecat28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Banned

I really liked this movie. I didn't understand the movie completely the first time I watched but I have seen it a handful of times now. I thought Jim Carrey did a fantastic job in this movie. Kate Winslet was also great in the film. This movie was very original and emotional. I couldn't stand Elijah Wood's character in the movie. The way most of the movie took place inside Joel's head was awesome. It was cool to see how Clementine and he met and when memories in his head were being erased. I also liked the movie because I could relate to Joel's character. Anyone ever wanted to erase a memory or memories of one of their exes?
Jacob1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:43 PM
Master Fan

Eternal Sunshine is in no way a chick flick! Come on!

Anyway, I loved this movie. Absolutely loved it. I didn't understand it the first time I watched it, but I thought the cinematography was beautiful and totally complemented the mood of the film (melancholic, wistful - thus all the blues and stuff). I've never seen Jim Carrey act better - his Joel was just the right mix of goofy and sad schmuck but something about him draws you to him; and Kate Winslet was his match as the fiery and impulsive Clementine. The supporting cast of Mark Ruffalo, Elijah Wood and Kirsten Dunst made for a very interesting sub-plot, and their roles were well-developed, too. And I haven't mentioned the obvious - that this is an incredibly original plot by the one and only Charlie Kaufman, with excellent directing by Michel Gondry. This is a very good explanation of the chronology of the events in Eternal Sunshine. Be warned: there are spoilers (obviously).

Plus, the soundtrack. I love Beck's Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometimes, and whenever I watch the movie, I fall in love with the song all over again. It's actually not that great a song on its own because it's just two verses repeating many times, but it just goes so well with the film that the song (together with the last scene of the film - I'm not including the fact that the song was played in the beginning credits, because that was too short to make an impact) becomes extraordinary. And I like The Polyphonic Spree's Light And Day (although I don't remember when it was played).

I watched it once in the cinemas and many times thereafter on HBO, and what I've realised is that, even after watching it so many times, everytime I turn on the TV and see it showing, I have to watch it anyway, I can't tear myself away even though I already know it so well. That, I think, pretty much sums up how I feel towards this amazing, amazing film.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:10 PM
Elite Fan

I just realized that we already had an Eternal Sunshine thread. Since this one is moving I won't close it, but I have to merge it with the old one. I hope nobody gets too confused.

If so, PM me.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:30 AM
Master Fan

Ah - so this is the merged version?

I don't know about the chick flick thing - she actually called it a "Date Movie" and kept thanking me (facetiously) for our date (dinner and a movie) - but my friends are sassy that way. Plus, she's a journalist and tends to go with the more hardcore type of indie films, by nature.

But that had nothing to do with how I felt about the film. I really DO need to go buy this...

My LJ for Movies
Old 05-14-2006, 05:50 AM
Master Fan

This is a off topic, but what's considered more "hardcore" indie films? Before Sunrise/Before Sunset? Everything Is Illuminated? (I love both).

Talking about this movie is making me want to watch it again.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:21 AM
Master Fan

One of the other movies we saw together, which she de-constructed rather cleverly, was Capturing the Friendmans. No question - much more indie and hardcore.

You know, I'm kind of intrigued you all are taken aback by my friend's views. She's just one woman, people! Don't take it so personally - it's no reflection on you or the film, and for the record she did enjoy seeing it.

...she just didn't think it was the usual fare we watched. *shrug*

My LJ for Movies
Old 05-15-2006, 08:27 PM
Loyal Fan

This is in my top 5 fav movies, for sure. So unique, sweet, funny. I love how they meet after they get their memories erased anyway. And Kate Winslet is so purdy in this movie too I want to dye my hair orange lol
Old 05-15-2006, 09:22 PM
Master Fan

katrina - I totally agree. I loved the implication of their meeting despite having their memories erased. My therapist and I discussed it (we talk about films all the time - shouldn't be paying him for that ) - he wanted to point out that I shouldn't regret my broken heart or the chances I took in love because we'd probably wind up doing the same thing, anyway, not to mention the fact we'd lose the good stuff if we got rid of all of it.

...he had a point.

My LJ for Movies
Old 05-15-2006, 09:41 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrrshrr
katrina - I totally agree. I loved the implication of their meeting despite having their memories erased. My therapist and I discussed it (we talk about films all the time - shouldn't be paying him for that ) - he wanted to point out that I shouldn't regret my broken heart or the chances I took in love because we'd probably wind up doing the same thing, anyway, not to mention the fact we'd lose the good stuff if we got rid of all of it.

...he had a point.
Yeah, I had a falling out with a friend recently, and, sadly, we're probably not going to talk again, but I do remember the fun times we had and can enjoy and smile at them.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:37 PM
Banned

Didn't Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind win an Oscar for Best Screenplay? I have to say this is very underrated. And no critics ever talk about how great Jim Carrey was in it. His part in the movie was more dramatic than comedic.
Jacob1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:46 AM
Master Fan

I agree - and yes, it did win for Best Screenplay.

I don't understand why Jim Carey doesn't get more credit for his dramatic roles because he truly is fantastic, and I'm saying that as an unbiased non-fan.

My LJ for Movies
Old 06-10-2006, 01:49 AM
Elite Fan

great film!
-res cogitans- is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread