Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2007, 10:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Eastern Promises (2007) #1: It wasn't the gore that lured us in.

Eastern Promises

The mysterious and charismatic Russian-born Nikolai Luzhin is a driver for one of London's most notorious organized crime families of Eastern European origin. The family itself is part of the Vory V Zakone criminal brotherhood. Headed by Semyon, whose courtly charm as the welcoming proprietor of the plush Trans-Siberian restaurant impeccably masks a cold and brutal core, the family's fortunes are tested by Semyon's volatile son and enforcer, Kirill, who is more tightly bound to Nikolai than to his own father. But Nikolai's carefully maintained existence is jarred once he crosses paths at Christmastime with Anna Khitrova, a midwife at a North London hospital. Anna is deeply affected by the desperate situation of a young teenager who dies while giving birth to a baby. Anna resolves to try to trace the baby's lineage and relatives. The girl's personal diary also survives her; it is written in Russian, and Anna seeks answers in it. Anna's mother Helen does not discourage her, but Anna's irascible Russian-born uncle Stepan urges caution. He is right to do so; by delving into the diary, Anna has accidentally unleashed the full fury of the Vory. With Semyon and Kirill closing ranks and Anna pressing her inquiries, Nikolai unexpectedly finds his loyalties divided. The family tightens its grip on him; who can, or should, he trust? Several lives - including his own - hang in the balance as a harrowing chain of murder, deceit, and retribution reverberates through the darkest corners of both the family and London itself.

Official Site

Some reviews:

Quote:
NEWSWEEK -
Ramin Setoodeh
September 10, 2007
In a David Cronenberg movie, people usually talk about the violence, such as in, well, "A History of Violence." That probably won't be true with his new film, "Eastern Promises." It's a thriller starring Viggo Mortensen as Nikolai, a taciturn chauffeur for a family of Russian mobsters living in London. The biggest scene takes place in a steam room. Nikolai is sitting there in a towel, taking a peaceful shvitz, when two rival mobsters lumber in and attack him. It's incredibly violent, of course, but the really shocking thing is that Mortensen plays the whole four-minute fight completely naked. It's quite possibly the longest male nude scene ever in a mainstream Hollywood film. "In this age of screen grabs, I realize people are going to obsess about it," Mortensen says. "But it's not gratuitous." But wasn't he even a little nervous about exposing himself like that? "That's the advantage of working with a real actor as opposed to a star," says Cronenberg, who took two entire days to shoot the scene. "We weren't worried about you seeing his balls." More likely, Viggo was worried about you thinking about him as Aragorn for the rest of his career. Ever notice how when an actor really wants to move beyond a supersuccessful role, he drops trou? It's the Daniel Radcliffe School of I'm Not Harry Potter Anymore! In any event, Mortensen's fans don't care about his motivation. "I don't want to give you the impression that we're all sex-crazed middle-aged women," says Lynn Gibson, who runs the Viggophile.net fan site. "But we are quite looking forward to it."
Quote:
LOS ANGELES TIMES
By Gina Piccalo
Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
September 11, 2007

David Cronenberg put Viggo Mortensen through the wringer once. Now the actor's back for more.
As Viggo Mortensen and director David Cronenberg plotted the unforgettable bathhouse knife fight in their new crime thriller, "Eastern Promises," Cronenberg told the actor he wanted realism and "body-ness." The director wanted to challenge his audience to really experience the intimacy of such violence.
"Well, it's obvious," Mortensen told him, "I have to play this naked."
Boy does he. And Cronenberg captures every clammy square inch of Mortensen's well-toned flesh as it's pummeled and slashed and slammed into the unforgiving bathhouse tiles by two clothed real-life professional fighters, turning an otherwise excruciating four minutes of film into a quintessential Cronenberg statement.
"Eastern Promises," a Focus Features release opening Friday in L.A. and in 1,500 theaters nationwide on Sept. 21, explores the fine line between fragility and brutality, humanity and horror in the lives of three Londoners: Russian mob driver and sometime "fixer" Nikolai Luzhin (Mortensen); London midwife Anna Khitrova (Naomi Watts), who is striving to unite an orphaned baby with her Russian family; and mob boss Semyon (Armin Mueller-Stahl), who hides his sex slavery trade behind the guise of a grandfatherly restaurateur.
The film is Cronenberg's first collaboration with Mortensen since their 2005 Oscar-nominated "A History of Violence," a critical and commercial hit that fans of Cronenberg's previous work -- "Dead Ringers," "Naked Lunch" and "The Fly," among them -- considered surprisingly accessible. It's also a tough act to follow.
So far, reviews have been strong, praising Mortensen's complete immersion in the role -- adapting his body language and perfecting the accent -- calling the performance "brilliant," and even "Oscar-caliber." Indeed, Focus Features' decision to open the film in mid-September, traditionally a dead period for serious films, could give "Eastern Promises" a jump on the glut of performance-heavy fare coming in October.
And despite its disturbing subject matter and memorable fight scene, the film could prove even more commercial than "A History of Violence." It has just three scenes of violence. But the director gives each throat-slice, each blood pool a natural, three-dimensional effect.
"I have a very existential approach to the human body," Cronenberg said. "I take bodies seriously, [as if] I'm actually photographing the essence of this person."
"Unless you have a story this profound, it doesn't matter how good anything looks," added Mortensen. "Then you just get an exercise in brutality. That's what I like about his films. It's like real life."
Mortensen is only the second actor in Cronenberg's 30-odd-year career to collaborate twice with the director. (Jeremy Irons is the other, having starred as twin gynecologists in 1988's "Dead Ringers" and as French diplomat Rene Gallimard in 1993's "M. Butterfly.") The affinity between Mortensen and Cronenberg was evident as the two friends deconstructed the "Eastern Promises" naked fight scene recently, sitting opposite each other in the director's fashionable Beverly Hills hotel room, volleying tongue-in-cheek gibes, often finishing each other's thoughts.
Still, Cronenberg pointed out that it took some convincing to get Mortensen to agree to the part of Nikolai.
"He plays hard to get," the director said.
"I'm always very reticent until I have a handle on it," Mortensen said. "I wanted to make sure I had the proper time to prepare."
Mortensen researches his characters exhaustively. To understand mobster turned small-town family man Joey in "A History of Violence," he took a road trip through the Midwest and spent time recording costar Maria Bello's uncle, a Philadelphia native, to nail his accent.
for "Eastern Promises," Mortensen set out alone for Moscow, St. Petersburg and the Ural Mountain region of Siberia, spending weeks driving around without a translator. (The actor speaks Danish and Spanish fluently and can get by in four other languages.) Mortensen studied the gangs of the vory v zakone (thieves in law). He read books on Russian prison culture and the importance of prison tattoos as criminal r貵m豮 He perfected his character's Siberian accent and learned lines in Russian, Ukrainian and English. During filming, he used worry beads made in prison from melted-down plastic cigarette lighters and decorated his trailer with copies of Russian icons.
Mortensen's work ultimately became the foundation for the role, prompting some changes in the script and even guiding Cronenberg's direction. The actor credits Cronenberg with granting him the creative freedom to push his characters into surprising places. Cronenberg said he couldn't work any other way.
"I really invented myself as a director," Cronenberg said. "A lot of directors are very territorial and they don't really want to hear anything from other people, especially actors."
"They don't want to admit they don't know something," Mortensen said.
"It's a matter of control and fear," Cronenberg concluded. Instead, he asks actors to "come play in my sandbox."
"Once you accept that childlike-ness," he said, "everything else becomes more clear."
Mortensen's 360-degree nudity in the fight scene is a prime example of how their relationship aided the film. Despite its complexity -- hand-to-hand combat among three guys in a compact and very slippery space -- they rehearsed only a few hours and then captured the fight in just two days.
"I knew I was in good hands as far as the director went," Mortensen said. "It wasn't an exploitation. . . . After that fight, my character knows everything's different. There wasn't any other way to do it. So let's get on with it. The sooner we got it over with, the quicker I could heal."
"The makeup guy would say, 'Have you seen how swollen Viggo's knees are?' " added Cronenberg. "I said, 'No. Don't tell me that.' "
Recalling his vigorous and bruising staircase sex scene in "A History of Violence," Mortensen quipped, "It's revenge for Maria Bello."
for more information about the film, please visit here.
HappySquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

All right. I finally opened the thread.

Yes, I did love the movie. So distrubingly gross but it was in it's truest sense. I'll be back later to psot more. I need to eat lunch.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:14 PM
Elite Fan

Bon appetit!

Viggo is a powerful actor wether he's playing ruthless or a free spirit. I can't wait to see him in this role. I'll probably rent this tomorrow and then I'll be here yapping about it.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:15 AM
Master Fan

Viggo is definately one of the best actors out there, in my opinion I thought the movie was great.

"If I hadn't gone into acting, I would be a horsetrainer or a tunnel digger...or a swan"

DEATHtoNORMALCY | VOTEforMISHA
BrokenButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:29 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Viggo is perhaps the very best actor I've watched in whole darn life. He can play any role and put his heart into it. I cried with him in ROTK, fell in love with Eddie in 28 Days, praised him in Hidalgo, drooled but got so annoyed in Daylight and who wouldn't have dirty thoughts for Mr. Blouseman in A Walk on the Moon.

Well, in this film, Viggo nailed it once again. From trhe accent to the facial expressions - he really should be nominated for the Academy. I really didn't notice that he's naked on that sauna scene (really now, Gay?) Yes, I didn't, the whole scene wasso disturbing but beatifully orchestrated. At some point, it had me 'eughh-ing' then I covered my eyes, then at some point it had be clapping. I dunno, just ask my fellow mods who I watched it with, they can pretty sum up my reactions.

It does felt like A History of Violence at the beginning though... The whole location, I had expected to see Joey walked out of of one the houses or restaurants there.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:02 PM
New Fan

that bath house scene was brilliant. one of the most visceral things ive seen in 07.
SundayFootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I agree.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:14 PM
Elite Fan

I went to rent it but Blockbuster didn't have it. I'll have to wait now until after New Years festivities so I can try again.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:31 PM
Moderator Support Team

Awww, Nikki. I'm waiting for you to watch this so I can hear your thoughts.

I saw it in the theater, but I'd like to see it again.

Quote:
Viggo nailed it once again. From trhe accent to the facial expressions - he really should be nominated for the Academy.
I couldn't agree more. Just perfection. I hope he gets a nomination.

Quote:
At some point, it had me 'eughh-ing' then I covered my eyes, then at some point it had be clapping.
I know what you mean. Me too. Such an intense scene.

I love his voice................and the accent in this was great.
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 08:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Mel Yes, he is such a perfection! I read that the Russian critics had praised him for his portrayal.

Oh, that scene, I went to the theater looking forward to that naked scene, but man! I had underestimated Cronenberg and Viggo.

His voice! I wasn't looking at Aragorn when I watched the film, it was a whole new character to me. So, when Viggo said he's afraid to be typecast as the King forever, he definitely defines the word versatile!
Old 01-08-2008, 12:46 AM
Elite Fan

Oh my... Just watched it.

Can I say: perfection? This was such a fine piece of film! The movie is SO eerily quiet, so patient, so sharp.

Viggo looked damn scary at the beginning, but by the end you could see the break down of his character. How he deals with different kinds of people, how he's so good at reading intentions and cries for help.

That last scene of him sitting alone in the club, not only after surviving, but after risking his life for something so much bigger than he is and that might truly corrupt him at some point.... I mean, just darn!
Old 01-09-2008, 05:28 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh Nikki I'm so glad you already watched it. ITA about this film being perfectly done. We don't need so much of those effects and high technology. Pure acting and great execution should make this film an Oscar contender.

I also liked how Viggo's character was introduced as tough, devil-can't-care attitude then by the end of the film we see him so gentle with the baby and with the girls (plus Naomi's character).
Old 01-10-2008, 05:58 PM
Elite Fan

Entirely!

The really rough beginning made me think Nikolai was some sort of psychopath, and by the end I was stunned to see him be this good man.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Fan Forum Hero

His performance was jsut flawless.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:53 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnicky (View Post)
His performance was jsut flawless.
It was!

Naomi Watts was also very good. I've seen some of her really emotionally charged performances like in 21 Grams, and I loved her holding back the bigger tears, the broader and more out of control anguish, but still be as devastating. She has pin point perfection for nailing the scenes time after time.