Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2004, 11:37 AM
Loyal Fan

The Dark Knight Trilogy #1

As some of you are aware, there is a new Batman movie starring Christian Bale in the dark knight, just starting production.

As I did a year or so ago with X2, expect me to try to update this thread as much as possible with all the latest news, pics, etc.

If anybody sees or hears anything new, make sure to post it here [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

some of the best sites for it are:
Batman-on-film.com
Superherohype.com
Cinescape.com
Chud.com

By the way, Batman Begins is the official title [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Last edited by Mi||iê Måë; 02-17-2015 at 04:07 PM
Old 03-03-2004, 11:57 AM
Fan Forum Star

Oh wow. I love batman. I cant wait to see this movie.
My LJ
Old 03-04-2004, 09:00 PM
Master Fan

Isen't Katie Holmes in this "Batman"? I think she plays Christian Bale's girlfriend.

~ Britney
James' Shamless Hussie
Keeper of Todd and The Drunken Speech
Old 03-05-2004, 09:36 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Britney D/Jer:
<STRONG>Isen't Katie Holmes in this "Batman"? I think she plays Christian Bale's girlfriend.

~ Britney
James' Shamless Hussie
Keeper of Todd and The Drunken Speech</STRONG>
she sure is. she plays Rachel, a childhood love interest of Bruce Wayne/Batman and the assistant to the district attorney.

here's some updates gang:

ign filmforce has up a positive review of the script(a few minor spoilers)..
http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/49...html?fromint=1

Sergeant Jim Gordon has recently been cast(since this is batman's early years, Gordon isn't the commish yet)..

IGN FilmForce Exclusive: Who Is Jim Gordon?
We know who has been cast in Batman Begins!

March 03, 2004 - IGN FilmForce can break the news as to who has been cast against type as Sergeant (later Lieutenant then Commissioner) Jim Gordon in Batman Begins: Gary Oldman!

That's right: honest cop Jim Gordon will be portrayed by the 46-year-old British thesp best known for playing Dracula, Dr. Smith, Mason Verger, Joe Orton, Sid Vicious, Pontius Pilate, Beethoven, Drexl Spivey, and Lee Harvey Oswald! He'll next be seen as Sirius Black in another Warner Brothers franchise pic, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Past rumored contenders for the role of Gordon included Chris Cooper, Dennis Quaid, and Kurt Russell.

Our sources advised us that Oldman's casting will hit the trades later tonight. (UPDATE: Sure enough, The Hollywood Reporter confirmed it as of 11PM EST.)

Batman Begins starts filming March 16th on location in Iceland, the U.K. and the United States. Christopher Nolan directs from a script by David Goyer.

The cast includes Christian Bale as Batman, Michael Caine as Alfred, Katie Holmes as Rachel Dodson, Liam Neeson as Ducard, Ken Watanabe as ra's al Ghul, Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox, Cillian Murphy as Jonathan Crane, and Larry Holden as D.A. Fisk.

So what do you think of Gary Oldman as Jim Gordon?

and for those wondering, i'll give you a synopsis of the movie as well as the cast so far...
"Batman Begins," director Christopher Nolan's highly anticipated film, has commenced production in Iceland, with Gary Oldman joining the all-star cast. The announcement was made today by Jeff Robinov, President of Production, Warner Bros. Pictures.

In "Batman Begins," Oldman will play Lieutenant James Gordon, a detective on the Gotham police force. The film stars Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne/Batman; Michael Caine as his trusted butler Alfred; Katie Holmes as Rachel, a childhood friend of Wayne's; Liam Neeson as Wayne's mentor, Henri Ducard; Morgan Freeman as Lucius Fox, a former board member and sidelined employee of Wayne Enterprises; and Ken Watanabe as the villainous Ra's Al Ghul.

Directed by Christopher Nolan from a screenplay by David Goyer and Christopher Nolan, "Batman Begins" is produced by Emma Thomas, Charles Roven and Larry Franco. The executive producers are Ben Melniker and Michael Uslan. The film is based on characters created by Bob Kane and published by DC Comics.

"Batman Begins" is scheduled to film in Iceland, London and Chicago.

The film, which explores the origins of the Batman legend and the Dark Knight's emergence as a force for good in Gotham, will be released worldwide in Summer 2005 by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company.

and finally an early description of the batsuit from batman-on-film.com...

"The Batsuit is currently being made at a secret location in Hampshire and will be delivered to Shepperton late April. The other description online [from BOF--Jett] was probably the dummy cowl with the same surface material which is being used for camera testing only, this one may be in the Bob Kane 1930s design as a joke. The genuine suit appears to be in seperate sections at the costume designer's Hampshire workshop, although the only parts missing were the utility belt and boots which weren't visible when I took a peek.

The body and sections are dark grey and rippled somewhat to look like real skin, imagine how they portrayed Spawn and you get the right idea. The Batsymbol is across the chest armour and not in a yellow oval. The cowl and cape are black or dark blue, the cowl looks like the skin material too and is thinner and has realistic human features like cheekbones and forehead.

The ears are fairly long like in the previous movies and the design of the eyes and jaw cutaways are similar. Overall the suit doesnt look as exaggeratedly muscular as it was before and the rubber like material is thinner."

I'll keep you guys ever updated. if anybody is wondering who certain characters are or whatever, just post it in the thread and I(or another fan. i'm sure this thread is going to heat up sooner than later) will fill ya in.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:49 AM
Obsessed Fan

I just want to add...

With the huge failure "Batman & Robin" was (with Joel Schumacher at the helm) Warner Brothers and DC Comics are (were) desperate to revive the series and shake off the "stink" the last few films gave the series which is why they are letting non-U.S. talent try their hand at the franchise because of the success of Underworld, Resident Evil, 28 Days Later and other similar UK/Euro based fillms had.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:53 AM
Loyal Fan

first few filming day stuff is in from superherohype...

Batman Begins Set, Crew & Location Details! Source: Superhero Hype! Friday, March 5, 2004

'Coley' and 'Webakin' alerted us that Dark Horizons may have some details on the first two days of shooting on Batman Begins.

"Day 1 - They've set up about ten small huts and apparently it's supposed to be a village in Tibet, with more huts to be added by CGI. Yesterday Batman and someone were fighting with swords on the glacier. Tomorrow a magnificent scene will be filmed with Batman and the bad guy fighting while crashing down a steep hill toward a very high cliff. Of course this will be done with some elaborate wire work".

Day 2 - Liam Neeson has been spotted, he is sporting an Asian looking mustache with a one inch gap in the mustache under his nose. Also Christian Bale has a "one month beard". As far as I know he has not yet begun wearing the batsuit. He is wearing some leather clothes with a string belt. In one scene Christian Bale was being carried over the shoulder by someone. The buzz is that this is supposed to be the beginning of the movie. Oh and there is an buddist looking temple also"

Meanwhile, 'Robert' pointed us to the Reykjavik (capitol of Iceland) tourist board's official website which has more on the production...

A spokesman for the producers will not disclose where the filming is actually taking place but RUV (National Broadcasting Company) has information that it is near Skaftafell, south-east Iceland.

The film crew counts around 200 people and among the actors are Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Liam Neeson, Katie Holmes and Christian Bale. Actors Christian Bale and Liam Neeson and director Christopher Nolan arrived yesterday and are expecting to be shooting in one or two weeks.

The Icelandic crew has signed a contract of confidence not to talk about the film or where exactly it's being filmed. When filming is done here in Iceland, the crew goes to England to film there.

Going back to England, scooper 'Comic Forever' has news on fight casting at Shepperton Studios...

Hi, a friend of mine works for a logistics firm and this morning he made delivery to Shepperton Studios! where they are now casting for the fight scenes for Batman Begins. He witnessed over 50 people performing various stunts and fights for the new Batman movie. If the fight scenes he witnessed are anything to go by this film is a must see. They where filming other scenes at the studio so I hope to have more news soon.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:26 AM
Loyal Fan

new script reviews(both positive with minor spoilers)...
http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/496/496077p1.html
http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=17140
Old 03-10-2004, 06:44 PM
Obsessed Fan

Can't wait to see this. It looks like it'll be amazing. I just wished they hadn't casted Katie Holmes, but I won't get into that here.

Bryana
Old 03-11-2004, 04:30 PM
Loyal Fan

Batman Begins Chicago Filming & Costume Talk Source: mpstrex, maxwell Wednesday, March 10, 2004

ReelChicago.com reports that Batman Begins will be shooting in the city starting in July...

The city will be replete with A-list actors when the fifth in the "Batman" series films in Chicago starting in late July and running through August... Filming started last week in Iceland and then moves to London before coming here. Chicago production budget is unknown at this time.

Thanks to 'mpstrex' for the heads up on that! Meanwhile, scooper 'maxwell' sent in this bit about ths costume...

I'm a friend of someone who is working on the Batsuit. Most of the reports you've read about the suit recently seem pretty on the money. The cowl, cape, boots and gloves are al black while the body suit is a dark charcoal grey. The belt is bulky with compartments not like the one in the other movies, it's also a much duller yellow than the belts before.

The symbol doesn't have the yellow oval, it's really big, taking up a good part of the chest. It's a smoother material than the rest of the body suit and slightly raised.

The gloves aren't quite armoured but the boots look like they have greaves and the soles look like they're designed to give good traction.

The cowl isn't as restrictive as the one from the other movies was, the guy in the suit was able to turn his head. The cowl is sculpted and I'm not sure if the material would move with the actor's face.

The material looks kind of like leather, it definitely has a texture to it, it isn't smooth like rubber or plastic. Also there's seams on the costume, up and down the arms and legs and on the sides of the body. I don't know if they're supposed to be there as they don't really show up in the darker shots of the costume.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:52 PM
Loyal Fan

BOF:

Iceland filming complete, a set pic, and more on Bale & the costume
Thursday, March 11, 20004: The LATINO REVIEW has a set pic from Iceland--and reports that filming there is complete. This is according to the Morgunbladid, and Icelandic newspaper....

"According to the Morgunbladid newspaper shooting has already finished. The only actors present were Christian Bale (Bruce Wayne) and Liam Neeson (Ducard) with director Christopher Nolan and a crew of 250 people. According to them 'Himalaya Scenes' were shot there at Öræfasveit,Vatnajökuls and Svínafellsjökuls. The 'Begins' crew will now move on to London for the main shoot."

You can click on the LR link to view the set pic....Another scooper has chimed in the the Bale-too-big-for-the-costume rumor that has been floating around. While not as blunt as yesterday's source, this scooper says that the story is simply an "over exaggeration." He also highly doubts that Bale had an "embarrassing moment" with the Bat-suit in front of the crew....I am working on an exclusive of something from BATMAN BEGINS. It is not a plot-spoiler, but if all works out, BOF just might be the first to reveal this on the net. Can't say more, as I don't want to jinx it. Stay tuned....Oh yeah, one more thing. I have been assured that BATMAN BEGINS "Most certainly [the film--Jett] will have a presence..." at that big comicbook convention that takes place in the summer in southern California.

Here's that link to Latino Review. Click Here http://www.latinoreview.com/scoops/batmansetpic.html
Old 03-11-2004, 05:32 PM
Extreme Fan

Now that the suit isn't a 200 pound leather outfit maybe Batman can actually FIGHT! Not just lifting his leg up a little a throwing punches like someone who's had a few to drink. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
Buffyverse 1997 - Now & Forever
"I have promises to keep... and miles to go before I sleep."
Old 03-12-2004, 10:25 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by VampireSlayer:
<STRONG>Now that the suit isn't a 200 pound leather outfit maybe Batman can actually FIGHT! Not just lifting his leg up a little a throwing punches like someone who's had a few to drink. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]</STRONG>
let's hope so lol.

more news! from superherohype...

Batman Begins Shooting at Canary Wharf Today! Source: The Z Review Friday, March 12, 2004

Gary from The Z Review dropped this tip on us about Batman Begins filming in London today...

Hot news just in. Batman Begins is filming in London's Canary Wharf TODAY. And even more importantly they are filming the Batmobile! They will be filming scenes in Excel Tower with scenes of the Batmobile possibly on a turntable. While I'm not sure what the scene is, could this be a scene of Batman getting a hold of the Batmobile for the first time? I'm sure you'd all have loved us to get pics of the filming for you today and I can assure you we would have, unfortunately the land they are filming on is Private Property and Warner's would have been well within their right to sue our *ss off if we took snooper pics!

We're pretty sure the studio will keep things under wraps, but if you get a peek at anything be sure to send us a note!

Cillian Murphy Talks Batman Begins Source: USA Today Friday, March 12, 2004

USA Today talked to actor Cillian Murphy, who can next be seen in "Intermission"...

The actor goes to London in April for Batman Begins, directed by Chris Nolan (Memento) with Christian Bale as the Caped Crusader. Murphy, who is the evil Scarecrow, is confident this fourth sequel will revive the franchise done in by 1997's Batman & Robin. "We've got the best director we could get and an amazing cast."

While Batman Begins is not really the "fourth sequel," it's still a cool bit. Thanks to 'Joe Wolfe' for the heads up.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:42 AM
Total Fan

Batman Begins is looking really good; when is DC going to stop dragging its heels, and put together a decent Superman flick? When they do, this is definitely the creative team and approach to do it with.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:18 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Headhunter:
<STRONG>Batman Begins is looking really good; when is DC going to stop dragging its heels, and put together a decent Superman flick? When they do, this is definitely the creative team and approach to do it with.</STRONG>
I think once this does very well at the box office next summer they'll finally make Supierman a top priority.
Buffyverse 1997 - Now & Forever
"I have promises to keep... and miles to go before I sleep."
Old 03-13-2004, 12:17 AM
Elite Fan

Christian Bale and Gary Oldman in one movie? I can't wait for this movie! I thought it was the greatest news that they got Christian Bale to be Batman, but to have Gary Oldman being Gordon too. Yay! [img]smilies/wiggle.gif[/img]

Thanks for the news on what Katie Holmes' character was. I was scared they would try to cast her as Ra's daughter, even though she would look nothing like Ken Watanbe.