Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2004, 10:37 AM
Master Fan

The Da Vinci Code (2006) (SPOILERS possible - but use spoiler space)

This is one of my favorite books, and I was playing around at IMDB and found some people who were talking about their dream cast and I thought that would be a great idea. Since we know this movie will be made, it has a director (Ron Howard), we just have no actors. Who would you cast in the Da Vinci Code?

Robert Langdon -
Sophie Neveau -
Lt. Collet -
Andre Vernet -
Jacques Sauniere -
Bishop Aringarosa -
Silas -
Leigh Teabing -
Remy -

I am really not sure who I would want to play who. My favorite actress is Franka Potente, so I would love to see her as Sophia

It's a Sarkney thing, you wouldn't understand...
Old 11-13-2004, 07:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

I this novel. I'm in chapter 60-something right now, but I'll definitely finish it by this weekend. I have a few images in my head of each character while reading, but I haven't decided which actors I'd like to see portraying them. This will take some time to think about...

Sasha
Old 11-14-2004, 11:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I read somewhere that Russel Crowe was going to be in it

Icon by sourburst
Old 11-15-2004, 02:14 AM
Fan Forum Star

Hmm, as Robert? That would be weird. I hope Ron picks an American for that role.

Sasha
Old 11-15-2004, 04:28 PM
Elite Fan

Wasn't Ron Howard the director? I read something like that on the Books board.

Anyway, a movie adaptation for this story would be rich. Pretty cool. But it has to be well done. Now, the book is SO detailed in EVERYTHING that adapting the whole thing is, with like most books, impossible.

So it would be a long journey, the script I bet would suffer from major rewrites lots of times, etc, etc.

What's my point? That for this to be succesful the staff (including the actors who have to sell the movie and get all the credibility needed to make it work) has to bring their A game along with their senses at full steam.

All in all, can't wait.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:07 PM
Master Fan

Hanks may lead 'Da Vinci' Movie

Tom Hanks is a great actor, but I always pictured someone younger playing the part. Though, I totally agree with the Franka Potente suggestion.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:52 PM
Master Fan

I read on the front page of the Daily Express yesterday that Kate Beckinsale might be interested in getting it. Being a massive KB fan I say good luck to her...I know nothing about the book and it's characters.

Anyone care to give me a short synopsis of the book?
Old 11-15-2004, 05:59 PM
Extreme Fan

I heard the Russel Crowe rumor also. I can't see Hanks playing Langdon. Hope that's false.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:55 PM
Master Fan

You know who I'd like to see - Willem Defoe. He does well with these types of subjects.

Tom Hanks? Russell Crowe?

Well, if either's true I won't be seeing the film.

My LJ for Movies
Old 11-15-2004, 07:08 PM
Master Fan

If Crowe's involved I'll be steering clear. I hate him. Boycott if I have to.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:29 PM
Extreme Fan

More Tom Hanks news..

Tom Hanks Deciphers The Da Vinci Code
Source: Newsweek November 14, 2004

Tom Hanks has been pegged to play the lead role in Sony's upcoming film The Da Vinci Code, the adaptation of author Dan Brown's best-selling thriller, Newsweek has learned. Director Ron Howard and producer Brian Grazer, the duo who helped make Hanks a star with their 1984 comedy Splash and rehired him 11 years later for Apollo 13, cast Hanks as the globe-trotting scholar Robert Langdon, a decision based partially on the cerebral (riddle-solving, code-cracking) nature of the action in "Da Vinci."

"Tom is an exciting actor to watch thinking," Howard tells the magazine. "We probably don't need his status from a box-office standpoint" -- by now, The Da Vinci Code sells itself -- "but he gives Langdon instant legitimacy."

Howard and Grazer are taking their time casting "Da Vinci," but plan to hire actual foreign actors to play the book's foreign characters. "If there's any book that's supposed to be an international thriller, says Grazer, "this is it." Grazer tells Newsweek that one recent Oscar winner inquired about the role of Parisian cryptologist Sophie Neveu, "and she could easily do it. But I think the audience would be let down a bit. They expect a French girl." As for the role of bullish cop Bezu Fache, Gordon reports that Jean Reno is on Grazer's short list.

Grazer first got wind of The Da Vinci Code early in 2003, when Joel Surnow -- creator of the acclaimed TV series 24 -- thought "Da Vinci" would make a terrific story line for the show's third season. Surnow asked his boss, Grazer, to look into acquiring the rights. But as Brown had no intention of handing over his book to a mere TV show, Grazer says that "it quickly became clear that we had no chance." A few months later Sony paid $6 million for the movie rights -- and hired Grazer as the producer for the biggest film adaptation since "Harry Potter."

The 53-year-old Grazer, who also paired with Howard on the Oscar-winning A Beautiful Mind, has several upcoming projects on his slate, including an animated Curious George film with Will Ferrell and Fun with Dick and Jane starring Jim Carrey. Grazer is also producing a documentary about the notorious skinflick Deep Throat, Gordon reports. Due out in February, it may be the first NC-17 movie released by a major studio in years.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:53 PM
Obsessed Fan

Excuse me for getting political here...

But it will be very interesting to see if this even is released in the next few years (or year) given the current climate of this country and the fanatical Relgious Right taking over and their current censorship over anything they don't like, I.E. Saving Private Ryan.

Back OT...

I hope this isn't spoilerish...

But the book tackles the idea that Jesus Christ had a child with Mary Magadline and that the following heirs have survived to this day...

Something the Vatican and other religious and non-religious organizations would love to either keep quiet (out of fear of losing power), or use for their own means (controlling the vast majority of Christians).

The book is about the search/hunt for those heirs and their possible whereabouts as well as a murder mystery set in France.

Tom Hanks would NOT... And I repeat... NOT be my first choice.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:26 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Tom Hanks is a good choice, but he wasn't my first thought...

I liked the idea of Russel Crowe being in it...

Icon by sourburst
Old 11-16-2004, 01:54 AM
Fan Forum Star

I kept hearing the Tom Hanks rumor all day on the radio, and was pleased. He seems to fit the description of Robert Langdon given in the book.

"Although Professor Langdon might not be considered hunk-handsome like some of our younger awardees, this forty-something academic has more than his share of scholarly allure. His captivating presence is punctuated by an unusually low, baritone speaking voice, which his female students describe as 'chocolate for the ears.' "

The hall erupted in laughter.

Langdon forced an awkward smile. He knew what came next—some ridiculous line about "Harrison Ford in Harris tweed"—and because this evening he had figured it was finally safe again to wear his Harris tweed and Burberry turtleneck, he decided to take action.

"Thank you, Monique," Langdon said, standing prematurely and edging her away from the podium. "Boston Magazine clearly has a gift for fiction." He turned to the audience with an embarrassed sigh. "And if I find which one of you provided that article, I'll have the consulate deport you."

The crowd laughed.

Sasha
Old 11-16-2004, 02:52 AM
Master Fan

Tom Hanks is a good choice, good actors and I think he could do a wonderful job
Closed Thread   Post New Thread