Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2005, 05:34 PM
Fan Forum Star

Constantine (2005) #1: Will you take a trip to hell?

The film comes out tomorrow, and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it. I've seen The Grudge and it freaked me out, but a movie hasn't scared me this intensely since The Exorcist and I've only seen the trailers!

It looks like a promising film, very original story, based on a DC comic. I never took an interest in it because I was strictly a Marvel fan. I'm kicking myself now. Anyway, my interest has been piqued. Keanu Reeves, an awesome actor as the lead, with Shia Lebouf and Rachel Weisz in supporting roles. There isn't much to go wrong with.

What about anyone else? Will you be checking out this film?

Last edited by Crystaline; 03-11-2005 at 10:48 PM
Crystaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 07:41 PM
Obsessed Fan

I got to see a sneak preview of Constantine on Tuesdsay. It is really good. It was very very funny which was nice, because I thought it was going to be uber serious.
Dark Half Undine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 07:42 PM
Obsessed Fan

Constantine looks like a *gasp* intelligent action-horror movie.

While it may not be completely faithful to "Hellblazer", it should pass as a nice eye-candy, popcorn movie for those starving for interesting subject matter.

MTV did a "Never Before Scene" special to promote the film and the scenes they showed were awesome. There is no other word to describe them. It is the perfect blend of gritty urban realism and centuries old mysticism. It is what Joss Whendon should do if Buffy (with SMG) ever makes it to the big screen in my opinion.

However, there are always detractors (from advanced test screenings) that range from die-hard comic book fans who say the movie is nothing more than a dumbed down action film with only the title of the source material as well as the "Keanu Haters" who can't accept the fact he's actually made it and constantly bring up "Bill & Ted" as the basis for their arguments that he can't act. I for one don't give a sh##. I'm sick of every one and their uncle becoming a Goddamn, self-professed movie guru because they have access to a keyboard and an internet connection.

This looks like an interesting film and I will judge for myself soon enough
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 10:47 PM
Loyal Fan

I'm going to see it this weekend, primarily for the shallow reason of wanting to watch Keanu work The Coat again. From the previews, it looks like the fx are worth seeing in the theater.

I did a quick google search, and found that it has been banned in Brunei already.
pixiedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 01:26 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiedude
I did a quick google search, and found that it has been banned in Brunei already.
Yeah, I heard about that. Their dubbing it as unfit for public viewing. The themes of the film are a bit too "out there", I guess. By the way, I like your signature. It's ironic really, I was watching a documentary about Hitler and his rise to leadership in Germany on the history channel just yesterday.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:33 AM
Fan Forum Star

Im going to have to check out the trailer cause I never heard of this movie until now
My LJ
AutumnColorsღ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 07:01 AM
Jay
Master Fan

this movie looks good...i'm gonna see it.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 09:23 PM
Loyal Fan

I actually also want to see Constantine but I am a bit hestitant because of the rather mixed reviews it's getting...
Old 02-18-2005, 10:00 PM
Master Fan

Well, I saw the movie tonight and loved it. Keanu was great as was Rachel Weisz. I think there are some parts that a bit slow, but all in all it was a great movie I would recconmend to people.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:15 PM
Passionate Fan

I guess I will have to say I am the first one here to hate it! I liked both Keanu and Rachel, but I just found it too literal. I dont know how to explain it, except to say it felt like I was seeing too much on screen. It just didnt work for me. I really didnt like it which is sad, because I so badly did want to like it.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:56 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'm watching it tomorrow afternoon.

Sasha
S.A.S.H.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 12:49 AM
Loyal Fan

Hmmm, I have to agree with mattia. Well, I didn't so much hate it as find it disappointing. I thought some of it was interesting but only a very brief some. As far as being an intelligent comic book movie, I think X-Men 2 was more intelligent. The religious themes and ideas in this flick were incredibly uncritical and unimaginative.

I did like one twist at the end, a certain character's speech about motive to be interesting and worthy of watching. Other than that, eh. Of course, this comes from a woman who studies religion for a living so I may just have higher expectations. So much more could have been done, and yet wasn't.

I also wish that Shia and Djimon had gotten more air time. Props to Rachel Weisz, though. She always does such a fantastic job, not matter what movie or role.
- Indigo Girls
Doublestuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 02:45 AM
New Fan

this movie didn't really scare me at all (not a bad thing). i really liked the plot and it kept me entertained but keanu reeves can't act to save his life :\

Listening to.....
Sex is like math: add the bed, minus the clothes, divide the legs and pray to god you don't multiply.
varock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 01:49 PM
Loyal Fan

I saw this film last night and I have to agree with mattia I didn't hate it but the movie didn't flow. That was the problem with it for me. It felt too cut and paste in some scenes....something was just off. I really wanted to love it.

I liked Keanu, did not like Rachel. Shia's character was supposed to be funny, I was not amused, he was fine I just didn't think he was funny. Two characters I liked but I feel were under used, Gabriel and Djimon Hounsou's character.
Old 02-19-2005, 02:40 PM
Addicted Fan

i was suprised at how much i like this movie.
Keanu is actually good and doesnt sound or look like a 16 year old surfer which is a nice suprise.
Rachel was good and i like the fact that she was the one to bring the comedy into some scenes.
the special affecst were AWSOM and im not a special effects kinda person but in this movie i must say that they were so good.
the story was VERY interasting as was the style the movie was shot.
a very intelegent movie i must say.
the only negative thing was the fact that some scenes could have been shorter but all in all i just loved the movie.

Look for the girl with the broken smile
Ask her if she wants to stay awhile
nun with a gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread