Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2007, 09:29 PM
Addicted Fan

Olivia Munn said it was Voltron
R.I.P. #21 Sean Taylor
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:06 AM
Total Fan

I saw a preview for this the other day in the movies. Looks like it could be interesting. A little confusing maybe, but that's JJ Abrams for ya! Can't wait to find out a little more about it.

oth4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:02 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oth4eva (View Post)
A little confusing maybe, but that's JJ Abrams for ya!
This is what I meant about "Lost" and JJ Abrams in general.

He strings the audience along until they realize there is actually no point to anything. Nor anything entirely original in his concepts. But by then it's too late.

If this turns out to be the U.S. remake of "The Host" then my statement about originality will be even more valid. Not just for him, but the industry as a whole...
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:52 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
originally posted by UnsilentMajorty:
If this turns out to be the U.S. remake of "The Host" then my statement about originality will be even more valid. Not just for him, but the industry as a whole...
you've sparked by interest.....i read in one of your other posts that you've seen 'the host'.....i saw it a couple of months back in a theater....i also have it on a dvd from korea....
i really enjoyed that film....for those that don't know....'the host' is sort of kind of like a 'little miss sunshine' but this time instead of the dysfunctional family taking their little girl to a talent/beauty contest......the dysfunctional family goes looking to save their little girl from the monster whose taken her...it's funny, sad, suspenseful, it's got some seat jumping moments....and it's got a pretty good looking monster too...it sort of looks like a giant man eating tadpole....the good news is 'the host' (the korean version with english subtitles) is being released, as a dvd, later on this month in the united states....

Last edited by mukooh; 07-10-2007 at 11:10 PM
mukooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 12:55 PM
Loyal Fan

I think it's a wonderful teaser trailer, almost as good as transformers was. It doesn't show you anything, just sparks interest.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take -Wayne Gretzky
jthorton17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 12:33 AM
Loyal Fan

VH1's show 'The Best Week Ever' declared the people going nuts on the internet over the teaser trailer are having the best week ever.
iverson19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:29 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iverson19 (View Post)
did anyone see this trailer before Transformers this movie looks Incredible.

The entire thing takes place from the perspective of a party goer with a camera, waiting to surprise their friend, Rob. It's basically a nice, big bon voyage party between friends. The entire thing feels incredibly real and like plenty of parties I've been to myself--people mingle, munch on chips, chatter, etc. Rob arrives, everyone yells surprise, the camera person interviews people for anything they have to say to Rob before he leaves.

After probably 30 seconds or a little longer, the apartment shakes, the lights flicker, people scream and head to the roof. A crowd approaches the edge of the roof immediately as a massive explosion miles away takes place. People scream and start scrambling back to the stairs. Right before they enter the stairwell, something like a comet (a piece of the previous explosion) comes flying near the people and the roof. The camera is very jumpy and cuts in and out as people make their way down a darkened stairwell to the street. At this point, I can't remember if the screen cuts to black and says "From producer JJ Abrams..." or if that happens once they're all on the ground. Either way, it's at a good moment and is the first inkling as to what we're watching.

Once on the ground, some people are running in hysteria while others look into the distance trying to figure what's happening. Pieces of the explosion start flying towards the ground and hitting buildings all around. The people that were just looking into the distance finally start moving. At that moment, a massive piece of the explosion starts heading towards the camera. It flies right by and skids down the middle of the city street, hitting some people along the way. The piece finally slows down, rocks back towards the camera, and there she is--Lady Liberty's face, in flames and destroyed. Cut to black. Hitting theatres January 2008 (I think it was 01/18/08).

In my opinion this is one of the most effective trailers I've ever seen. It's not polished like most big budget film trailers, but it felt huge. It had people in the theatre chattering, wondering what the heck this is and when it's coming.
That's an incredible bit of synopsis making. It sounds like JJ Abrams' version of "War of the Worlds" with an "Armageddon" flashback. THANK YOU! I can really picture it!

I get the feeling that the party scene you described is indicative of a real life surprise birthday party some woman misleading the public as JJ Abram's wife supposedly threw for JJ sometime last year. It shockingly aired on "Entertainment Tonight". Maybe this movie is his reactionary statement about her to the world about the turmoil that ensued post this woman's spread of her name attached to him all over the internet. I think maybe the camcorders represent the camera men of "E.T." that may have showed up at this surprise party and shocked JJ Abrams and he panicked as his life flashed before him at the effect the falsehood by this woman (McGrath) would create on his career if it aired on syndicated television. I mean, she really spread her name out by using his name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsilentMajorty (View Post)
J.J. Abrams is overrated. Most of his stuff is old ideas from the '60s and '70s repackaged for the newer generation who don't know the ideas aren't new, or original "Lost" is a prime example. All hype and no substance, IMO.
I beg to differ, but, everyone has a right to their own opinion... in my humble opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukooh (View Post)
for those that don't know....'the host' is sort of kind of like a 'little miss sunshine' but this time instead of the dysfunctional family taking their little girl to a talent/beauty contest......the dysfunctional family goes looking to save their little girl from the monster whose taken her...it's funny, sad, suspenseful, it's got some seat jumping moments....and it's got a pretty good looking monster too...it sort of looks like a giant man eating tadpole....the good news is 'the host' (the korean version with english subtitles) is being released, as a dvd, later on this month in the united states....
I wouldn't be shocked if it indeed touches on that theme, given the previous kidnapping storylines of "Mission Impossible: 3" and "Alias". And in "Alias", it was actually child, then, his mother (played by Tracy Middleton) with the mathematician father (Christian Slater) panicking. Oh, and that same actress was in "Mission Impossible: 3", too. Her character was killed. I wonder if that means anything. She was disguised as Ethan Hawke's wife.

You know, a "host" is what a parasite feeds off of. Interesting.

Last edited by melody; 12-24-2007 at 05:25 PM
melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:32 PM
Master Fan

Like most I saw this before seeing Transformers and it seems very interesting. A little weird, but it sparked my interest. I wanna know what the monster thingy was!

Icon: Cynthia
Kenjigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:59 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenjigirl (View Post)
I wanna know what the monster thingy was!
Isn't there a Monster on 'Lost'? Anyone know if it got killed, yet? Obviously, I'm 'Lost' lost.
melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Master Fan

I don't know. I don't watch that show.

Icon: Cynthia
Kenjigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 08:43 AM
Obsessed Fan

I'd also disagree with people saying that JJ Abrams strings people along and doesn't close anything out.

Felicty and Alias weren't dragged out.

Lost does drag on but that's what it is supposed to do I think--slowly revealing things. Plus I read that they wanted to finish the series a bit earlier than the network would allow.

I think he's a talented guy and I can't wait to see more on this project.
taovande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:21 AM
New Fan

1-18-08

what do you guys think about this project, ive heard alot of speculations, some saying godzilla, some saying biblical monsters, what do you guys think it could be about?
bigflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:40 AM
Passionate Fan

I think I know what you're talking about...

I saw the trailer for it awhile back and wondered the hell was going on. It never gave a title to the movie or anything that I recall and everyone in the theatre seemed to have a general reaction of "WTF just happened?"

I hope its not Godzilla...it gave me the impression of almost a 'war of the worlds' type feeling to it. But something new and original would be a nice break.
Team Britney
Intrceptr350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:40 PM
Fan Forum Star

Certainly is an intriguing trailer.

Sasha
Old 07-23-2007, 01:29 PM
Part-Time Fan

I've heard about this from my friend, but I was a little unclear.