Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2004, 11:35 PM
Master Fan

I really want to rent I'll Sleep When I'm Dead. I saw it at the video store the other day after forgetting about it for awhile, and now it's revived my interest. I wish I had a kickass accent like Clive's.

His actiong in closer to me, stood out above all the rest. Especially the power of his one scene with Julia, and the complete frustration and desperation in the stripclub scene with Nat.
T O B Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 12:56 AM
Extreme Fan

I enjoyed the film. It's different from anything I've seen in a while. I remember in an interview Julia said that this story tells the beginning of the relationships and the end...nothing in the middle. After seeing it I see what she meant.

Oh, and Clive was amazing.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:46 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by alli balli

I disagree, nothing felt real at all to me. I can't even pinpoint what was off about the dialogue, just that it was off. I liked the line about what a human heart looks like, but coming from Larry the dermatologist? It didn't sound right.
I haven't seen the film yet (I will, shortly)...

But this sounds like the dialouge was possibly to "on-the-nose" which means there was no subtext to the words they spoke... Which means they were in fact saying what they were feeling... That goes along with what others have said... And this is a very hard thing -- if not impossible -- To do in any movie... Let alone a complex relationship drama like this one.

Like I said, I haven't seen the movie, but for those who have and didn't like it... Does this seem to be part of the problem? Is the dialogue to "on-the-nose?"
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 04:25 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by SPR Invader Pearl
*Sweetie*, I didn't like his character either. But after the movie my boyfriend said, "Typical guy."
Typical guy indeed.

I was really surprised Anna got back together with him in the end. I would have been afraid of him, especially after their initial break up scene. He was scary during that part.

I just can't believe you're leaving over three words I couldn't say last night.
*Sweetie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 12:36 AM
Obsessed Fan

Just saw it. Here are my thoughts:

This definitely is a film that isn't for everyone.

Mostly, because it does deal with uncomfortable and taboo subject matter... And I don't mean the deviant sexual acts/activities that go on. I am talking about the things (adult) couples do and do not talk about in terms of their pasts, their wants/desires/dreams, past lovers... And forces people to ask whether or not they (as people) do in fact want the whole truth and nothing but the truth...

Or is that some kind of politically correct manatra we've all adopted to make us sound better since if we knew half of the secrets that our significant others kept (keep)... We'd probably react just like any of the characters did to varying degrees: Depressed, desperate, intrigued, exhuasted, turned-on, turned-off, disgusted and relieved... All at once.

I think the most real of the characters was Larry (Clive Owen) as far as portrayls of males go.

Yeah, he was interested in the "down and dirty" details of what went on between Anna and Dan... But like he said, "That's because I'm a f-cking guy!" -- Because it is true, no matter how "evolved" and "sensative" guys try and pretend to be (I am one, so I can say this )...

But it also goes deeper than that in that if we (guys) know the details... It does take the sting off somewhat AND it makes the events/consequences more "real" in the sense that we can move on... Like his "deal" he struck with Anna before she would sign the divorce papers.

Men have a much easier time moving on than females, supposedly... And I think Mike Nichols was actually challenging this gender stereotype, or else Larry wouldn't have done what he did AND have gone to see Alice (Natalie Portman) at the strip club (for those who've seen the film, it all makes sense).

Everyone, Julia Roberts, Clive Owen, Natalie Portman and Jude Law all gave Oscar and Golden Globe worthy performances, so I would not be surprised if we see their names multiple times for supporting, or perhaps best actor/actresses.

If anyone gets a supporting actor... I'm guessing Clive Owen... And for supporting actress Julia Roberts (just because I do think her performance is better than Portman's in terms of material and screentime).

In closing, I can see why some people like the film and others don't.

I think the time shifts are definitely disorienting in a drama like this as is some of the "on-the-nose" dialogue -- that I now realize IS on purpose -- But it has its interesting moments and definitely treats its subject matter in an adult, no-holds barred kind of way and I did find that aspect the most refreshing considering that because this has A-List stars, it could have been easily dumbed down to get a broader audience...

But it didn't. I give it credit for being the film it is, but like someone said, I wish there was just a little more background to the characters, so audiences could invest in them a little more and feel for them because in the end...

The characters aren't really "nice" people... And you are glad that you are observing them as a third party. But that is the genius of the film (and play) in that this probably IS how most people really are whether they want to admit it or not.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:31 AM
Ultimate Fan

Just saw it today.

I liked it a lot. It was raw, and it was very intense, and I liked the quickness of the script. Very dry and sardonic, yet it never seemed to take itself too seriously. It was almost like the actors/actresses were just having a normal, every day discussion amongst themselves for two hours. And I really liked when they fought and got mean with each other. It was so accurate, 'cause love is like that.

But Clive Owens was just tasty...I almost wanted to hear him cuss for no reason, he was that hot doing it.

Jude, I knew, would be niceness, so that wasn't a shock to me.

Natalie Portman -- if "Garden State" didn't prove to the world what a great actress she is, this movie will.

And Julia's Julia, so grins and love all around.

I'd see it again.

Janine || [ @FF.net ] [ @AO3.org ] [ @WP.com ]
sumiregusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 05:28 PM
Part-Time Fan

I was in the elevator and I overheard someone saying that this movie sucked... and that it was so horrible.

I didnt see it yet but i cant imagine it being that bad.... natalie portman is in it damnit!!!

I cant wait to see it and form my own opinion
Old 12-21-2004, 03:32 AM
Passionate Fan

I saw this movie the day after it came out, and the first thing that crossed my mind at the end was, "Well, that was bizarre."

I thought the acting was absolutely phenomenal. At first, I just thought that the things the characters said and did were absolutely unrealistic and ridiculous, but now that I've thought about it, it makes a little more sense. These were people hitting the absolutely peaks and valleys of love, and they weren't afraid to express their thoughts out loud. Plus, like someone else said, the movie covers such a long period of time that we only get to see the most dramatic points.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie. I thought it was well-acted, well-written, and dramatic enough to keep viewers engaged. While the storytelling method (jumping around in time) was a bit annoying at first, it makes the end a lot more fulfilling, I think.
Gardenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 03:38 PM
Loyal Fan

I've been waiting for this film for a long time and hope to see it soon. It sounds great. Mike Nichols also directed Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? and did a wonderful job on that (among other films) so I have high expectations of his skills

The biggest reason I have waited to see the film is Julia Roberts. I'm definitely in the minority of movie goers but I am not a fan.
summerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 06:48 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by summerbug
The biggest reason I have waited to see the film is Julia Roberts. I'm definitely in the minority of movie goers but I am not a fan.
She really surprised me in this film.

Granted, she proved she can act with "Erin Brockovich"... But this is an even deeper role in that it isn't "gimmicky" (no big hair, boobs) and she also wears no makeup in the film at all.

I also think that her character is actually more developed than Natalie Portman's in the long run. Natalie is a fine actress and deserves her Golden Globe (and probably Oscar) nomination...

But I honestly think Julia Roberts role is the harder one to portray of the two females and you will see why once you see it.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:39 PM
Master Fan

I'm with you, summerbug.

I think Julia Roberts is one of the most overrated actresses in Hollywood and I can't stand really stand her.
T O B Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 03:41 AM
Elite Fan

I just saw this movie tonight, and there are no words. Of course all of the people in the theater did not get the idea of the film. And complained and laughed at innapropriate times. But, I just sat there uncomfortable, watching a movie that was giving me shivers. I felt so moved when I left, and at the same time violated.

I felt like I shouldn't have seen what I did. The conversations between the couples were so personal, real, and raw that I felt like I shouldn't be listening. Like as if I were trespassing.

All of the actors were amazing throughout, and kept me involved until the final frame. I loved how the film was edited chronologically, it was perfect. All the other information left out was extraneous, and not necessary. What we saw were those crucial moments we needed to see.

This movie was pure extacy, and I will definetly go see it once more, and I hope the Academy recognizes Clive Owens and Natalie Portman, because they lit up the screen.

- Does anyone know the original ending in the play?

kenny | credit

Last edited by smoothaise; 12-23-2004 at 07:00 AM
smoothaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 04:57 PM
Master Fan

The original ending is that Alice dies, Larry starts dating a pretty nurse named Polly (you never see her), this is after Larry and Anna split up. The play ends at Postman's Park I believe, with Dan and Anna talking - Dan says that old girlfriend Ruth married a Spanish poet. That's also when you found out that Alice isn't her real name, etc.

The play is amazing, everyone should read it. I'd be interested to see this production on stage as well.
i got stuck on the side you know i never chose
but it's all about taking the easy way out for you i suppose
*Shannon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 06:51 PM
Addicted Fan

Loved the video Cindy!

I loved this movie. It was so twisted and nuts, and I was sitting at the edge of my seat the whole time with my eyes wide open. The performances were great considering that these roles were so crazy. It was very simple, and for that...it was pretty much amazing.
"If it’s not real you can’t hold it in your hand. You can’t feel it with your heart, and I won’t believe it."
JoozerLoozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 02:25 PM
Fan Forum Star

I saw this movie yesterday, and was during the cybersex scene between Clive and Jude's characters.

Sasha
S.A.S.H.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread